Ipad for a 2 year old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ipad for a 2 year old?

My well intentioned mother-in-law bought my 2 year old (3 in March) daughter a $500 dollar ipad for Christmas!  I don't own an ipad.  We don't even use any tablet of any kind and have been trying to limit screen time for our daughter as it is.  What does everyone think about us returning the ipad and having the money redirected to our daughter's 529 plan?  Her plan is already sitting at about 17k as it is.  I can just think she'd rather have a nice laptop for college over a tablet to watch Bubble Guppies...priorities, right?

Will your mother in law know or care if it gets returned? We don't really do screen time in our house either (kids are 7, 4.5, and 1.5) but as they've gotten older we do let them play some iPad on the weekends. There are actually some good games on there and our oldest, in first grade, uses them in school as well. However, we didn't start the weekend iPad time until they were about 3.... She might not even have a long enough attention span right now

Comment

Our iPad is a game changer for travel for our kids even at age 3. Plus lots of educational apps/programs... wouldn't necessarily put this in the "screen time" category as tablets are going to be more prevalent in education going forward..

Comment

I think we have already offended her a little bit. I am not opposed to kids watching videos on long trips but i do know that my daughter will preferentially sit and watch videos over any other activity if given the chance. She already knows how to start my xbox, turn on amazon streaming videos...the only thing holding her back is if the menu is off but she even tries to use the voice commands! I have no fear that she will be somehow tech illiterate.

Comment

I think it'd be better not to return it. Your MIL probably thinks it's a really nice gift and would be very hurt if it gets returned. We let our two girls 3.5 and 21 mos. watch our iPads for a little here and there. We monitor what they watch and do try to limit the amount of time on them, which is mostly their watching YouTube videos. They do learn quite a few things. Even the AAP has gone back on their screen time restriction, just for this alone. I think it's important for kids to learn technology as well. There's always been a negative stigma about kids and technology that I've never understood. I know some people go to extremes to limit their kids' time with technology from the last decade, kinda like the Amish limiting their kids' technology exposure from the last 150 years.

Comment

It is fine in moderation.  Our 2.5 year old does great with it, there are lots of educational apps which are interactive and better than television.  There are painting apps etc etc.  She does like the bubble guppies of course as well.  It's great for longer trips for sure.

Comment

It's really hard while traveling to keep them occupied.  We take car trips pretty often and fly a few times a year...often trans-oceanic flights.  Our son is 16 months.  My dad gave us one loaded full of children's entertainment over the past few decades, including stuff like Asterix, Tintin, the Muppets...you know, actual cerebral stuff.  We bought a rubber cover for it that looks like a little man standing up (he can grab the arms to hold it).  We keep it hidden for when we're at the house and we can run around in the yard or play inside, but when he's strapped in a 5-point restraint it's very hard to keep him entertained.

Comment

We bought our 3.5 year old twin boys Amazon tablets for traveling. They have been used once, our last trip. I will update and download some new stuff for our next trip in February, then they will go back into the box for three months til our next trip. I would not return it, but use it sparingly. I have some nephews that do not look up from their newest gadget for hours at family functions. We may be a bit extreme, but I do not want that to be how my kids interact with the world/family.

Comment

Working...
                X