Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Financial goals you've achieved this year (2016)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    childay
    Physician

• childay
    replied
    1. Paid off about 50k of student loans.  The rest are 2.3% or lower.  Tempting to just pay them off..

2. Started taxable account.  TLH for the first time.

3. Maxing all retirement plans, 529 and roth.

4. Mostly avoiding lifestyle creep.  Though we did buy a boat and a new truck..

Leave a comment:

• DMFA
    replied

1) Started taxable investment account (in January, great timing)

2) Switched all retirement money to lowest cost funds

3) Reread Bogelheads book

4) Finally joined WCI forum (today)

Welcome! :-D

Sorry 'bout your burnout, though, I guess that's going to be goal #5, getting out of that rut?

Leave a comment:

• BurnedoutDoc

• BurnedoutDoc
    replied
    1) Started taxable investment account (in January, great timing)

2) Switched all retirement money to lowest cost funds

3) Reread Bogelheads book

4) Finally joined WCI forum (today)

Leave a comment:

• Lithium
    Physician

• Lithium
    replied
    Nope, I'm doing inpatient.  I somehow managed to have a low six figure net worth coming out of med school with jobs, savings, gifts, and lack of loans, and then just moonlit a bunch in residency and rode this seven-year bull market to where I am.  I had no idea how lucky I was when I started out.

Leave a comment:

• Psyched
    replied
    Thats amazing! Are you in private practice psych making enough to get to that net worth so quickly???

Leave a comment:

• Lithium
    Physician

• Lithium
    replied
    Joined the two comma club sometime in the late Spring   8-)

Became a pretty avid card churner and bank bonus chaser.  Guessing I've made the equivalent of around ~$5,000 at that side venture.  Enjoyed a lot of free vacations.

Paid off $100k on my home.  Another $150k to go.

Also TLH'd ~$44,500 (congrats POF, you win by $500   )

Leave a comment:

• Psyched
    replied
    1. paid off the rest of my student loan debt - $26,600 (down from 220k at its max)

2. hit a pre tax savings rate of 43% for the year (woo hoo!)

3. surpassed the 200k mark in net worth, hopefully on track to get to a quarter mil by June 2017

Leave a comment:

• PhysicianOnFIRE

• PhysicianOnFIRE
    replied

My student loans: gone on Tuesday!

atta boy!

Looks like you had a great year all around, but I vividly remember the day I wrote my last student loan check.

Leave a comment:

• canadianoutlaw

• canadianoutlaw
    replied
    My wife and I are both residents in HCOL area. Maxed out back door roth IRA + Roth 403Bs. (5.5k+18k)*2=47k saved for the year... woohoo! (And thank you WCI!!)

Leave a comment:

• Dicast
    replied
    -Passed a net worth of $0 almost exactly a year ago.

-Purchased a house of less than 1x annual gross income

-Wife finally finished 7 years of residence/fellowhip and our shovel got bigger.

-All student loans refinanced

-Spent our money on things/experiences that mattered to us.

Leave a comment:

• Hatton

• Hatton
    replied
    I am older so different milestones as well.  I did my first Roth conversion.  I am struggling with the decision about when to completely retire.  I had planned to do it this summer when I turn 60 but.........not to brag but I am close to reaching a milestone. I am close to making 1 million completely passively since transferring all my accounts to Vanguard 2.5 years ago.  Compounding is awesome.

Leave a comment:

• NJDoc
    replied
    Hmmm...I'm a bit older than most here, so milestones are a bit different.

- Decreased market exposure and increased direct real estate allocation investments up to almost 20% of net worth.

- Fired my financial advisor ( actually that was in the end of last year, 2015)

- Started a donor advised fund.

- Decided I would pay a little extra on the mortgage, the math still irks me and paying it down early is just an emotional decision.

- Passive income covers all College costs ( already funded the 529's years ago), and the account is growing to cover two weddings and a little for their house down payments.

- Decided not to sell and downsize yet, this is actually a negative financial decision, but my wife loves the house, pool, etc..

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied
    5 months out of fellowship. Tough year, but some positives:

- Had emergency fund "tested" with costs associated with infertility diagnosis and treatment, as well as paying the majority of the emergency medical costs of a close family member. Made it out essentially cash flowing it all so far: EF re-funded and increased somewhat, no credit card debt and have not compromised other financial goals, such as

- Will have saved 20% of gross for the year in tax-advantaged, all done the latter half of the year (doesn't include wife's pension or my employer contributions)

- My student loans: gone on Tuesday!

- New car (my first car purchase ever) negotiated to 20% below MSRP... $2500+ less than the "exceptional" TrueCar price

- Wife's car (which pre-dates me) purchased in cash coming off the lease

- Six figure net worth

- Disability insurance done

- Collaborated on and finalized an IPS/budget plan together with wife

- Have emerged closer and more in love with my wife than ever (not the main reason but arguably has a secondary, financial benefit   )

Leave a comment:

• PhysicianOnFIRE

• PhysicianOnFIRE
    replied
    Took advantage of tax loss harvesting opportunities to the tune of $45,000 in paper losses.

Completed a full year of expense tracking.

Investments up to 30x annual expenses.

Helped negotiate a production based pay increase with employer.

Large donation to our donor advised fund.

Leave a comment:

• StuRedman

• StuRedman
    replied
    1st year of funding my Roth on the first available day in Jan.

Put more in my taxable account than in my 403b and Roth

Invested 6 figures this year!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X