X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panscan
    replied
    There's a difference between starting a business to provide legit medical care to people who need it and placebo crap to people who can't control themselves.

Leave a comment:

• White.Beard.Doc
    replied
    Side hustles can be great.... or not.

If you have an idea and you want to go with it, you should go with it.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  High risk, potentially high reward.  But the first word is high risk.  Running a start-up business requires very broad range thinking.  You have to get the business model right, marketing, execution, costs, legal risks, capital risk, time risk.

So, have you written a business plan?  How will you market your service? What will it cost to start?  Who will be notified when a patient calls?  How will they be notified?  What will the response time be?  How will the medical professional respond?  By phone, through an app?  Who will build your app?  How much will it cost?  Will the treatment be provided by an RN?  An LPN?  What are the professional licensing and regulatory issues related to who can provide home care in your state?  How will the responding nurse be paid?  1099?  W-2?  Is this classification legal under the IRS guidelines based on the structure of your business?  Who will do payroll?  Bookkeeping?  Accounting?  Who will do risk management and compliance?  What type of malpractice coverage is needed?  How much will it cost?  What capital investment will be needed to get to profitability?  What if the costs exceed the revenue?  How much are you willing to put into this to build it to profitability?  How much are you willing to risk and invest before you know if it is a viable, profitable business model or not?  Do you have any experience running a business?  Do you have the time to make this work?

In short, some of us are risk takers and are cut out with the skills it takes to do the 100 things needed to start a business, some of us are not.  Which camp are you in?

Leave a comment:

• hombre3000
    replied
    I appreciate the advice, but there are reasons that medicine and I are not destined for a long term relationship. Nothing legal or unethical (yet, apparently), we’ve just drifted apart. There’s no tenderness, like before, in my fingertips.

I appreciate the feedback directed towards my original question and am open to more. If your feeling is that all side hustles are stupid—the point has been made.

Leave a comment:

• CFEonline
    replied

As I’ve written previously side hustles for physicians make no sense. Would it make sense for Lebron to work a shift at Starbucks or to play in an extra nba game.

But you must side-hustle to get your ERISA protected second retirement account with $56k limit!

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied

Not a good sign, but this wasn’t the place I anticipated a tough crowd condemning me for burnout.

Still interested in hearing your preferred side hustles. Not meant as a dig, but honestly interested.

I don't think a good cure for burnout is working more outside of your regular job. I agree with @fatlittlepig , find out what parts of your job you find most difficult since we're all different on what gets to us. Work on making your current job better...and that may include a different job. Then I'd start thinking about side hustles.

Leave a comment:

• ScopeMonkey
    replied

Congrats to all the pigs and scope pushers out there, but I’ll let you in on a dirty little secret: a lot of therapies I use in the ICU have very, very little evidence behind them. It must be nice to practice in a field where uncertainty was left in the 1950s with Linus Pauling.

You’re absolutely right: I’d make more money working more shifts. But…I don’t want to.

I'm not sure why, but I love this answer!  Like the Cuba Gooding Jr. character said to Tom Cruise in "Jerry McGuire," "Well that's an answer!  It's not pretty, but it's an answer!"

Leave a comment:

• hombre3000
    replied
    Not a good sign, but this wasn’t the place I anticipated a tough crowd condemning me for burnout. ??‍♂️

Still interested in hearing your preferred side hustles. Not meant as a dig, but honestly interested.

Leave a comment:

• fatlittlepig
    replied

I don’t thin Fatlittlepig would want his name associated with such shenanigans and also seems like it could invite scrutiny from the medical board. All in all a great side hustle indeed… 
    Click to expand…

What is fatpig’s preferred side hustle?

As I’ve written previously side hustles for physicians make no sense. Would it make sense for Lebron to work a shift at Starbucks or to play in an extra nba game.

Leave a comment:

• fatlittlepig
    replied
    Not a good sign to be only a few years out of fellowship and looking for some shady side hustles. I would probably try and figure out how to optimize your current job. Regarding what you said about many therapies not being evidenced based, that is true but when you are in the icu you are practicing under the auspices of a critical care doctor backed by the institution you practice at, that’s a far cry from inserting IVs into healthy people for a placebo effect.

Leave a comment:

• hombre3000
    replied
    Congrats to all the pigs and scope pushers out there, but I’ll let you in on a dirty little secret: a lot of therapies I use in the ICU have very, very little evidence behind them. It must be nice to practice in a field where uncertainty was left in the 1950s with Linus Pauling.

You’re absolutely right: I’d make more money working more shifts. But...I don’t want to.

Leave a comment:

• CFEonline
    replied

I don’t thin Fatlittlepig would want his name associated with such shenanigans and also seems like it could invite scrutiny from the medical board. All in all a great side hustle indeed…

What is fatpig's preferred side hustle?

Leave a comment:

• fatlittlepig
    replied
    I guess its okay if you don’t mind being a pseudo marginal doctor/charlatan. I don’t think Fatlittlepig would want his name associated with such shenanigans and also seems like it could invite scrutiny from the medical board. All in all a great side hustle indeed...

i humbly suggest if you want more money do an extra shift doing what you were trained to do, I’m sure you’ll make a lot more money doing that than your iv fluid pushing.

Leave a comment:

• ScopeMonkey
    replied

I’m sure there’s some money to be made from people with more money than brains. This is nothing PO hydration and a multivitamin can’t fix. However, the lay public thinks there’s just something about IVF that’s magical. I could never do it because I spend enough time convincing “dehydrated” people that they just need to drink some fluids instead of getting an IV.

Agree!  And sorry there's simply no benefit to an average well person getting an IV with B12 or Vitamin C.  Are we still in the 1950's here with Linus Pauling..?

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied

Can someone explain what this is exactly?

It's basically giving people IV fluids and vitamins when they're hungover, when they feel dehydrated, or before going out to party for the night. Don't bother trying to find a medical benefit for the therapies, though.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    I'm sure there's some money to be made from people with more money than brains. This is nothing PO hydration and a multivitamin can't fix. However, the lay public thinks there's just something about IVF that's magical. I could never do it because I spend enough time convincing "dehydrated" people that they just need to drink some fluids instead of getting an IV.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X