Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most financially valuable possession(s)?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Most financially valuable possession(s)?

    I often think about which of my tangible possessions makes me the most money on a monthly basis and I've narrowed it down to two items:

    1) My smartphone.

    2) My monthly transit pass.

    I do shift work and my colleagues routinely unload shifts after the schedule "goes live." Thanks to my smartphone, I'm usually the first to respond and therefore the one who claims the majority of the extra shifts.

    My monthly transit pass is pretty self explanatory (it helps me get to and from work) but I've calculated the ROI for my pass to be 93x it's cost.

    It goes without saying that my medical degree and permanent medical license (with required DEA and state prescription license) are very valuable and make all this possible.

    My question to you all is, what are your most financially valuable physical possessions/the ones with the highest realized, monthly ROI?

  • #2
    My house is our most valuable tangible possession. If we're going to be a bit more abstract, I would point to my brain. Without it, I wouldn't have the degrees, diplomas, licenses, certifications, respiratory drive, etc...  

    Comment


    • #3




      My house is our most valuable tangible possession. If we’re going to be a bit more abstract, I would point to my brain. Without it, I wouldn’t have the degrees, diplomas, licenses, certifications, respiratory drive, etc…
      Click to expand...


      Brain counts.

      I figured you, and other bloggers, would say blogging/your blog.

      Comment


      • #4
        If the intangible counts, I would have to say my type-A personality and work ethic. A brain counts for very little if you don't have a burning desire to use it productively. And at 59, my brain sure ain't what it used to be :-)
        Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

        Comment


        • #5
          My computer. Not only do I blog on it, but I get my work schedule/email on it and manage my investments on it.
          Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

          Comment


          • #6
            Computer for reasons already mentioned.

            Home gym for savings on membership fees, transportation costs, not to mention the unquantifiable reduction in medical expenses.

            State Park and Federal Recreation passes for savings on hours of recreational activity and family bonding.

            Comment


            • #7
              Brain, training, and personal finance hobby.

              Comment


              • #8
                A simple program called Quicken. I usually upgrade only every 3-5 years at a cost of $50 or so from Costco. I have had it since 1990 when I got my first Intel 486 pc. It has tracked all my personal and office income and spending and all my stock and real estate investments that come tax time my work load is just a couple of days worth of time to print, double check and give to the CPA. I would not know what I will do if I did not have it.

                Other good investments are the Microsoft Excel and Word Programs, as a part of MS Office. I usually get if free and still use the 2007 version.

                Comment


                • #9
                  This is an odd topic. I'll say my clothes cause I couldn't go to work in my birthday suit.

                  Comment


                  • #10




                    This is an odd topic. I’ll say my clothes cause I couldn’t go to work in my birthday suit.
                    Click to expand...


                    I'll admit this is a whimsical topic. It can be as serious as you make it.

                    I figured it would be a good math/thought exercise for folks who think something has a great ROI but when they run the numbers realize the monthly ROI is terrible due to high fixed and variable expenses.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I agree with the comments about human assets (skills, future income, etc.) but I will stick to financial assets.  I reviewed my spreadsheets and the largest chunk of cash is actually in private investments.  It is in my "other" category that makes up 20% of my asset allocation.  The other 80% is primarily in passive index bonds/stocks.  That 20% though is extremely valuable.  It has produced an IRR of 25-33% over quite a long stretch of time.

                       

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X