This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the fifth risk

anyone read it yet?  it's fascinating.  what happened to the book club that was getting started?

i'm half way through and i don't know whether to laugh or be scared.

no politics please.

I enjoyed it.

Our planet is screwed in the short term, but will recover eventually.  The problem is homo sapiens won't be around by that point.

Perhaps terraforming Mars will be well underway.

Comment

Just added it to my to read list. I would be interested in a book club if one is started.

Comment

I guess I don't know how to talk about a political book without being political. It's like saying let's talk about a bill O'Reilly book without bringing politics into it.

Comment

I have learned that books like this and What Happened or Game Change have more fiction than fact and reflect more the wishful thinking of the author than facts.

Comment

Just added it to my to read list. I would be interested in a book club if one is started.

Me too.  I'm a big fan of Michael Lewis.  Would love a book club thread.

I guess I don’t know how to talk about a political book without being political. It’s like saying let’s talk about a bill O’Reilly book without bringing politics into it.

My book club read Killing Lincoln and we didn't get political with the discussion.  I have a hunch he didn't do much of the writing though.

Comment

It’s an interesting book. There are so many miscellaneous functions of the federal government bureaucracy that you don’t see or think about but are extremely important (nuclear power plant regulation, Inspection of the food supply, roads and bridges, etc.) Those agencies are staffed by smart caring people that you never hear about it unless they screw something up.

Without being too political, it’s safe to say that there have been a lot of serious missteps by the current administration. The flashiest ones involve foreign policy, Military, and big macro economic issues. However, you wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the gross mismanagement and ineptitude extend into a lot of these mundane areas.

A lot of it comes down to competent career people not wanting to work for the current president. If a normal Republican (Romney, Rubio, etc.) had won the election, they would’ve gotten a list of 5–10 competent people with appropriate resumes to be the secretary of energy, secretary of agriculture, etc. Almost none of those people are willing to work for our current president. The people who take the jobs are often incompetent or, worse, a lobbyist dismantling an agency for profit.

In short, there are a lot of vital government functions that are either not being done or being done rather poorly or deliberately being sabotaged. Hopefully it won’t catch up to us.

It’s the kind of thing that would be a horrible scandal during a normal presidency, but is barely a blip on the radar these days.

Comment

“It’s the kind of thing that would be a horrible scandal during a normal presidency, but is barely a blip on the radar these days.”

Nothing political. Just like the “good old deep state”, oops I mean days or whatever.

Comment

It’s an interesting book. There are so many miscellaneous functions of the federal government bureaucracy that you don’t see or think about but are extremely important (nuclear power plant regulation, Inspection of the food supply, roads and bridges, etc.) Those agencies are staffed by smart caring people that you never hear about it unless they screw something up.

Without being too political, it’s safe to say that there have been a lot of serious missteps by the current administration. The flashiest ones involve foreign policy, Military, and big macro economic issues. However, you wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the gross mismanagement and ineptitude extend into a lot of these mundane areas.

A lot of it comes down to competent career people not wanting to work for the current president. If a normal Republican (Romney, Rubio, etc.) had won the election, they would’ve gotten a list of 5–10 competent people with appropriate resumes to be the secretary of energy, secretary of agriculture, etc. Almost none of those people are willing to work for our current president. The people who take the jobs are often incompetent or, worse, a lobbyist dismantling an agency for profit.

In short, there are a lot of vital government functions that are either not being done or being done rather poorly or deliberately being sabotaged. Hopefully it won’t catch up to us.

It’s the kind of thing that would be a horrible scandal during a normal presidency, but is barely a blip on the radar these days.

backhanded political talk.

what you just posted is basically like saying " no offense"

Comment

You think Romney is a normal Republican? If that’s the case, I guess I’m no longer a Republican.

Comment

Nice try, seven posts is respectable.

Comment

I don’t even know what a normal Republican is anymore.

Comment

Yup no such thing as a normal republican. - unbiased political commentary. The delusion is very impressive.

Comment

Nice try, seven posts is respectable.

We'll go for eight next time.  We're all adults here (I think?).  Let's remember that one side of the argument does not become more virtuous or "right" the more you can put the other side down.  Keep it civil or the thread will be locked.
                            I should have been a pair of ragged claws. Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

Comment

Too late.

Threads with the words "Republican" and "Democrat" in them are unlikely to last long. Let's not politicize our entire lives.
                              Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X