Forum growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum growth

I've been following the WCI for 5 years and joined the forum the moment it went live. It's just incredible how the forum community has taken off. The quality and content gets better every week. The growth of the website and forum seem exponential. Would love to see a graph of the number of posts and or hits per week. Its been incredibly fun to watch this grow and just goes to show what's possible when you have a great product. I am very much looking forward to the WCIs 2016 annual report in January 2017, I suspect the numbers will be mind blowing.

I have also been reading WCI for several years and participating in the forum since the inception.  This is the first forum I have participated in.  Some of the discussions are top notch.  Some of the blog posts also get an overwhelming number of responses.  Everybody needs a constructive hobby and personal finance is one that pays for itself! I look forward to more interesting posts and blog topics. I also think this site is growing exponentially.

Comment

Hi, I'm new here. My husband is not a doctor. He works for a large company here in Seattle. I stumbled upon this website through googling '200,000 salary and investments'; I know, not the best wording but it worked. When I found this site, I sat here and read through many posts. I was so happy that there was a place I could go and not just to Dave Ramsey's forum. I often felt alone there and no one could relate to my situation.  

Comment

Hi, I’m new here. ? My husband is not a doctor. He works for a large company here in Seattle. I stumbled upon this website through googling ‘200,000 salary and investments’; I know, not the best working but it worked. When I found this site, I sat here and read through many posts. I was so happy that there was a place I could go and not just to Dave Ramsey’s forum. I often felt alone there and no one could relate to my situation.  ?

I can relate. Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us!

-PoF

Comment

The biggest compliment I've been paid in the last year is the number of sites with similar missions that have sprung up. Might have something to do with that annual report...
          Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

The biggest compliment I’ve been paid in the last year is the number of sites with similar missions that have sprung up. Might have something to do with that annual report…

I've noticed that, also. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Love your attitude - a lesser person would be upset at the perceived competition.
            Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

The biggest compliment I’ve been paid in the last year is the number of sites with similar missions that have sprung up. Might have something to do with that annual report…
              Click to expand…

I’ve noticed that, also. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Love your attitude – a lesser person would be upset at the perceived competition.

It helps that I don't need any growth in revenue to meet all my needs and reasonable desires. #enoughism

It's fun to make money, but that was never the main point of this site.
              Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what other sites have you guys seen? Would be interesting to know what their "schtick" is

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what other sites have you guys seen? Would be interesting to know what their “schtick” is

Most of them have guest posted here at some point. I've always had a few every year, but most of them quit within a few months when they realize it's a lot of work and years before any significant income comes your way. But one a year or so sticks around and after a few years there are now a handful.

Physician On FIRE is all about early retirement

Debt Free Doc is a bit of an extreme approach to maximizing wealth (she paid off her loans as a PGY1 for instance)

There are three or four others right now. It might be fun to do a post listing them all. I suspect most of them will stick around.

Comment

James M. Dahle For President 2020

Comment

Anyone reasonable for the position is usually too smart to take it/want it. Congress, Senate (local/fed), Supreme Court sure those are good gigs, but president seems like a thankless job that is all stress and not much ability to get things done.

Comment

Click to expand…

Anyone reasonable for the position is usually too smart to take it/want it. Congress, Senate (local/fed), Supreme Court sure those are good gigs, but president seems like a thankless job that is all stress and not much ability to get things done.

I think I'd put state and federal legislators in the same category. That was precisely the way I felt the last time I delved into politics, as a medical school student body president.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I think I’d put state and federal legislators in the same category. That was precisely the way I felt the last time I delved into politics, as a medical school student body president.

Same as in mostly thankless or cant get much done? I think the state/fed legislators have more power (sometimes from inaction) at this particular time than the president. Locally, especially at the city level you can certainly get more things done as less people are paying attention. Always seems like a good idea (have at times entertained the idea), but fear the machine would just crush you and I wouldnt do any good for anyone.

Comment

Props to WCI for actually mentioning other blogs, etc! I don't think you'll see that on big names/sites like Ramsey, etc!

Comment

Props to WCI for actually mentioning other blogs, etc! I don’t think you’ll see that on big names/sites like Ramsey, etc!

I've been pleasantly surprised by the level of collaboration and cooperation among the personal finance and FIRE bloggers I've encountered.

The good Dr. Dahle invited me to guest post @WCI, wrote up some great responses in a Q&A that I posted on my own site, and at least tolerates the frequent links to my site on this forum.  

I constantly link out to other sites, which has paradoxically helped my site grow at a good pace. My Sunday Best posts, which are a compilation of links to outside blog articles are at least as popular as the posts I create myself.

Regarding the annual report, it is certainly encouraging to know that there is money in this banana stand. I'm starting to see some decent return for my efforts. Half the revenue is donated, and starting from a standpoint of financial independence, I don't necessarily need the money. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see some success, and earnings are one way to measure that.

Best,

Physician on FIRE

Comment

Working...
                              X