Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tesla, the investment

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...apple-car.html

    Apple Car.
    is this headed down the path of hardware/software compatibility?
    Brings to mind Apple/Microsoft (PC’s) and Apple/Google (Phones) market share.
    Much competition on the hardware side and limited software choices. Margins are on the software. Batteries and cars might be the commodities. Drastically changes Tesla’s long term strategy.

    Comment


    • Well it’s all speculation now as there’s no news about it basically, not even a signed partnership yet.

      Says it may be an Apple car that Hyundai builds and not a Hyundai that has Apple software?

      Does Apple have the autonomous hardware/software or the engineers to design it or will they outsource it to a third party or buy a competitor with all their cash? Same for motors and everything else that goes in an ev.

      Hyundai makes the Kona which is a decent ev from what I hear, but not quite a flagship product expected from a brand like Apple.

      I don’t think it changes Tesla’s strategy at all. This Apple car is going to be unveiled years down the road as a prototype then if it makes it to production take even longer for mass production.

      Theres definitely room for competition and another ev on the road is one less ice car. That’s a win for Tesla’s mission and for overall less emissions in the future.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Tim View Post
        https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...apple-car.html

        Apple Car.
        is this headed down the path of hardware/software compatibility?
        Brings to mind Apple/Microsoft (PC’s) and Apple/Google (Phones) market share.
        Much competition on the hardware side and limited software choices. Margins are on the software. Batteries and cars might be the commodities. Drastically changes Tesla’s long term strategy.
        Let me preface this first by acknowledging that the master lords of Apple are way smarter than me and are probably playing 5d chess. But how is this not like when Microsoft rolled out the zune or windows smartphone?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post
          The endless overpromising and underdelivering with self driving is a joke
          It's possible that your grandchildren will laugh at you when you fondly reminisce about "wasting time" while driving gas ice's.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Nysoz View Post
            Well it’s all speculation now as there’s no news about it basically, not even a signed partnership yet.

            Says it may be an Apple car that Hyundai builds and not a Hyundai that has Apple software?.
            From what I am reading Apple want Hyundai to build the car to its specifications but Hyundai wants to hand it down to its sister company Kia that it controls. And Apple doesn't want that. Hyundai has extra capacity, poor sales during COVID times and would like extra cash.

            By the time the Apple car comes to the market in 2027-2028 the EV scene might be looking different. But then there will be more need for EV and less for ICE cars so maybe they might become the Rolls/Bentley of EV. Low volume, status symbol, higher margins. Who knows.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by burritos View Post

              It's possible that your grandchildren will laugh at you when you fondly reminisce about "wasting time" while driving gas ice's.
              His grandchildren will never know the sound of a steel door closing, the lope of an aggressive cam, or the sound of open headers. I feel sorry for them.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Kamban View Post

                From what I am reading Apple want Hyundai to build the car to its specifications but Hyundai wants to hand it down to its sister company Kia that it controls. And Apple doesn't want that. Hyundai has extra capacity, poor sales during COVID times and would like extra cash.

                By the time the Apple car comes to the market in 2027-2028 the EV scene might be looking different. But then there will be more need for EV and less for ICE cars so maybe they might become the Rolls/Bentley of EV. Low volume, status symbol, higher margins. Who knows.
                I thought that's what Lucid is going for.

                CordMcNally there are 3rd party add ons where you can make your ev sound like whatever car you want. v12 or whatever. add speakers outside and others will hear it too. add a subwoofer and you'll also feel the rumble. around 5:00 in the video can hear outside, 9:00 inside

                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HmDXE3o8dMc&t=722s

                Comment


                • Originally posted by burritos View Post

                  Let me preface this first by acknowledging that the master lords of Apple are way smarter than me and are probably playing 5d chess. But how is this not like when Microsoft rolled out the zune or windows smartphone?
                  No. Much more like the operating system wars between Apple, IBM (licensed from MS) and all other PC's. Hardware and assembly became commodities. Dos/Windows won the war and MS is still collecting without making a PC product.
                  Tesla has not to this point taken the path or patent and royalties. Not sure the manufacturing is where the long term profit is. Apple has be playing in the automotive driving field for a long long time. If one manufacture does not want it, so what? As far as buyouts, they can deal either way. Contract it out or buy the company for the ready made team of geeks. Is it the brainpower or the intellectual property? There is a ton of value in the intellectual property. Tesla is ignoring this possibly wisely. Apple does not.

                  https://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...ch-more-1.html

                  42 in just a keyboard. How many in a car? Tesla owns zero. Different business model. Not sure if captive manufacturing is the best long term.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Nysoz View Post

                    I thought that's what Lucid is going for.

                    CordMcNally there are 3rd party add ons where you can make your ev sound like whatever car you want. v12 or whatever. add speakers outside and others will hear it too. add a subwoofer and you'll also feel the rumble. around 5:00 in the video can hear outside, 9:00 inside

                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HmDXE3o8dMc&t=722s
                    I know it’s tough to determine sound in a video but that’d be tough to truly mimic. Do they have a feature that makes the whole car shake at idle and blow the smell of unburned gas through the vents?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

                      I know it’s tough to determine sound in a video but that’d be tough to truly mimic. Do they have a feature that makes the whole car shake at idle and blow the smell of unburned gas through the vents?
                      I might carry a bottle of gas in a hand sanitizer bottle. Memories of the old days. Just a drop.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

                        His grandchildren will never know the sound of a steel door closing, the lope of an aggressive cam, or the sound of open headers. I feel sorry for them.
                        You can feel sorry for me too cause I don't know what those are either. Can't they just program that sound into the car as a feature, kind of like programing an old ring tone into the cell phone?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by burritos View Post

                          You can feel sorry for me too cause I don't know what those are either. Can't they just program that sound into the car as a feature, kind of like programing an old ring tone into the cell phone?
                          Or "Directory Assistance" operators.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by burritos View Post

                            You can feel sorry for me too cause I don't know what those are either. Can't they just program that sound into the car as a feature, kind of like programing an old ring tone into the cell phone?
                            They’re not just sounds, they’re experiences.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

                              They’re not just sounds, they’re experiences.
                              Can deaf people experience them?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by burritos View Post

                                Can deaf people experience them?
                                Yes. The shaking of the car and smell are very distinct.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X