Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vanguard to add 1800+ competitor ETFs --> game changer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard to add 1800+ competitor ETFs --> game changer?

Maybe... but it certainly pushes me to think about consolidating with them.  Don't need Schwab any more, and I am seriously rethinking if I need anything in Fidelity... simplify, simplify, simplify.  Better ability to do tax-loss harvesting.  Boglehead forums are pretty heated on the subject.

Really strong move on their part.

Only drawback I can think is that competitor ETFs held at Vanguard won't count toward your voyager/flagship status.

Also perhaps some of the smaller volume Vanguard ETFs could drop slightly further in volume if you can trade a better competing ETF commission-free.

Comment

Certainly a shot across the bow for Fidelity and Schwab. I was already trading ETFs (Wisdom Tree) for free at Vanguard, but this does make me think about consolidating Fidelity taxable account assets at Vanguard and later, when workplace retirement plan assets are under my control, these as well.

Comment

I wish they'd just allow admiral shares in their individual 401(k). All this does for me is give me a few more tax loss harvesting partners.
        Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I don’t see how this is of much help to someone who’s a 3 fund investor using vti, Vxus and bnd?

Comment

If I want to switch my taxable account from fidelity to vanguard (where I have a growing taxable account, 3 529s, 3 utma) mainly for simplification, do the fidelity mutual funds I have get liquidated and create taxable events? Some have appreciated significantly and I don’t want to get a big tax hit. Or can I transfer to vanguard directly without selling the underlying mutual funds?

Comment

...All this does for me is give me a few more tax loss harvesting partners.

Can one TLH from mutual funds to ETFs if the need were to arise, say to avoid a wash sale, now that Vanguard offers no fee trading on these other ETFs?

Comment

…All this does for me is give me a few more tax loss harvesting partners.
                Click to expand…

Can one TLH from mutual funds to ETFs if the need were to arise, say to avoid a wash sale, now that Vanguard offers no fee trading on these other ETFs?

Sure, but it could get a little wacky due to settlement dates. What I would do is use cash to buy the ETF late in the day while selling the fund at 4 pm EST or vice versa.
                Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I don’t see how this is of much help to someone who’s a 3 fund investor using vti, Vxus and bnd?

I guess if you're in all tax protected or don't care about tax loss harvesting then you might not need anything else.

Comment

https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/etfcfl.pdf

All this list does is remind me why I love the Vanguard Funds and ETFs.  There's a lot of narrow focused trash on this list.   The Motley Fool 100?  Give me a break.

The iShares were a nice add, but I'm not sure I would waste much time digging into any of the rest.

Comment

Brand new attending with a question:

I have always invested in the VTSAX since I have had a Roth IRA at Vanguard (no longer can contribute now given income but still going to do backdoor). My question to everyone now is that since VTI is commission-free if you are at Vanguard, what would be the advantage of VTSAX now since they are essentially the same (I understand there is a difference in the total asset) given the VTI has the same expense ratio but doesn't have an overall minimum like VTSAX does and is real-time?

Bottom line: If I was to contribute to a non-deductible Trad IRA in 2019 with the intention to backdoor it, what difference does it make if I put it in VTI or VTSAX?

Comment

Bottom line: If I was to contribute to a non-deductible Trad IRA in 2019 with the intention to backdoor it, what difference does it make if I put it in VTI or VTSAX?

If you're going to backdoor it, you don't need to put it in anything.  Just leave it in the sweep and invest it once it's in the Roth IRA.  If you do gain anything on it, you'll just be taxed on it as regular income...which is better than gaining nothing, I suppose, but it's a little bit of extra accounting for a couple dollars.

Comment

Working...
                        X