Investment Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investment Wisdom

I came across this recently over on The Student Doctor Network. Not sure where it came from, but I thought it was interesting to look at. Not really sure what the Y axis numbers really mean, but the relative relationships were illuminating I thought. What do you think?
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Cant see the figure

Comment

Jeez, give me 2 minutes! I had an upload issue and had to convert it from a PNG to a JPG.
      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I guess I can expect 6.5% to 7%, or that's where I would fall on the scale, anyway.  Backtesting would give better returns than that, though.

Comment

Sorry, I didnt realize you were just posting   ... Thanks- see it now. Is the Y-axis avg annual return??... I'm at a grand total of 0%

Comment

I don't know.  The genius of Warren Buffet/PhD quants is debatable...then again, I happen to think that "guns and ammo" are a perfectly reasonable place to store wealth.  Heck, the shells I use for shooting skeet cost 40% more than they did 3 years ago.

Comment

Looks more like a humorous meme some random investor posted rather than anything approaching scientific analysis or research.
              Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

well most of the time financial media is showing me a humorous meme rather than anything approaching a rigorous analysis

Comment

I think he intends Y-axis to be expected annual return, perhaps adjusted for inflation. The numbers fit reasonably, I think.

Comment

Could insert 8% for index funds + Rebalancing + TLH + Small/Value+/-International Tilt

Comment

I don't think anyone should get hung up on the Y-axis - who knows what will happen in future?  But the overall point is well-taken: you should aim to be high on the ladder.  I think paying for high-fee loaded mutual funds should be a negative number because the kind of person who would still do that in 2016 (and they're out there) is almost certainly the kind of person making all kinds of awful financial mistakes elsewhere.

Comment

Not sure where it came from...

MMM posted it back in November 2014.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/11/04/why-i-put-my-last-100000-into-betterment/

Comment

I think all my guns and ammo are going to appreciate a lot more than that.  I should be able to at least get to 0%.  Ha Ha

Comment

Agreed. Guns and ammo are way down the list after 401k's, IRA's, taxable, 529's, and saving, but I'm still buying. Prices are lower than I've seen in years.

Low prices = more fun!

Comment

Our local gun broker actually advised us to start a trust because he believes fully automatic weapons appreciate by 15% annually and would provide significant value for our heirs

I'm pulling all my money out of Vanguard as we speak...

Comment

Working...
                              X