No announcement yet.

Terrible portfolio needs an update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK- here's an updated asset allocation based on all of our retirement savings with brokerage accounts, minus the 529's:

Equities: 84.5%

Bonds: 7.8%

Cash: 7.7%

I plan to go through a risk assessment questionnaire as mentioned above with my husband, and I have a feeling that the current allocation will fall somewhere between our risk tolerance levels.  Hopefully from there we can come up with an actual plan so that we can be a bit more focused with our investing.

Thanks again everyone....I feel like I've been flying solo on this adventure.  I've brought up my newfound fascination with personal finance and investing with friends, and everyone's eyes seem to glaze over.  I also feel like I'm in a bit of a unique position as most of the followers on this site seem to skew male and/or be the primary breadwinner.  If there are any other spouses that seem more interested in this topic than their husbands, PM me....we could start a support group!  

Comment

PM incoming, hana.

Comment

I still think that the easiest way for me to discuss dicey topics with my wife is by discussing a book we are both reading. My wife and I read books once every couple of months together. You could offer to read whatever book your husband wants and discuss it. When it is your turn to pick choose WCI or another book. I’ve always found my wife and I have less defensive reactions when we discuss issues that way. That may or may not be helpful to you, works great for us.

Comment

I also feel like I’m in a bit of a unique position as most of the followers on this site seem to skew male and/or be the primary breadwinner.  If there are any other spouses that seem more interested in this topic than their

Lots of female docs like myself at the WCI conference.  Sometimes you cannot tell by the screen name.

Comment

I also feel like I’m in a bit of a unique position as most of the followers on this site seem to skew male and/or be the primary breadwinner.  If there are any other spouses that seem more interested in this topic than their 
            Click to expand…

Lots of female docs like myself at the WCI conference.  Sometimes you cannot tell by the screen name.

And quite a bit that are the primary finance person in the house as well. You're definitely not alone.

Comment

Click to expand…

She did mention "primary breadwinner," and I think you qualify there.

When WCI launched this forum there actually wasn't an option to choose "Spouse" as your role. There are definitely a lot of non-physician spouses, male and female, that manage the household finances -- but I can see where she'd think this maybe isn't really a place for us. Or at least hasn't been thus far.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

She did mention “primary breadwinner,” and I think you qualify there.

When WCI launched this forum there actually wasn’t an option to choose “Spouse” as your role. There are definitely a lot of non-physician spouses, male and female, that manage the household finances — but I can see where she’d think this maybe isn’t really a place for us. Or at least hasn’t been thus far.

I don't really see the distinction between breadwinner, spouse, etc. as it relates to financial advice.  Good financial decisions are good financial decisions regardless of household role.  Yes, there are certain behavioral and relationship matters specific to household roles, but I don't think a financial forum is the best place to look for advice on these matters.  People posting on here are generally interested in personal finance, so can offer good advice on that front.  To put it bluntly, there is little reason to suspect we (a group of nerds posting on a financial forum) can offer great advice about how to manage personal relationships.

Comment

Working...
                X