No announcement yet.

Vanguard taxable account - TLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone has seen a step-by-step guide for beginners on how to tax loss harvest, I'd love to read it. I'm in the process of switching my cost basis summary at Vanguard to SpecID so that I can see the gains/losses of each lot. My taxable account is small and I don't anticipate to see the kinds of losses that would make TLH worthwhile, but I'd love to start learning in case opportunities arise in the future

Thanks!

Comment

If my account went down by $3000, is that the loss?

Comment

Is there an alternative to S&P 500 if I have the vanguard total stock market fund as I am always buying S&P 500 in my fidelity retirement accounts and I want to prevent a wash sale

Comment

Can I sell VTSAX-> VLCAX and TLH the $3000?

Comment

You could do large cap + extended market (or large/mid/small).  Or just large cap if you want to KIS.
            I sometimes have trouble reading private messages on the forum. I can also be contacted at [email protected]

Comment

Yes VLCAX is large cap

Comment

You could do large cap + extended market (or large/mid/small).  Or just large cap if you want to KIS.

What he said.

Or what I said earlier in thread:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Approximating_total_stock_market

You are correct to avoid the S&P500 fund if you otherwise are buying.

Comment

For those who haven't seen, PoF just posted a step-by-step guide oh tax loss harvesting here. I can't wait to read this carefully...Thanks PoF!

https://www.physicianonfire.com/tax-loss-harvesting-vanguard/

Comment

Working...
                  X