No announcement yet.

Vanguard under attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used merrill for a number of years.  It always irritated me that I did not have the option to buy Vanguard funds.  Once Vanguard starting offering ETFs I could buy Vanguard products.  I had an epiphany and moved all my money to Vanguard and have loved it.  My view is that Schwab and Fidelity are offering loss leading products to stop everyone from going to Vanguard.  I have no idea how long they will do it.  At some point they may increase the ERs.  But what do I know I am not a financial professional.
    Click to expand…

must be only Merrill Lynch because my kid’s brokerage account is at Merrill Edge and I did a lazy vanguard portfolio for him with vanguard funds. Ever since BoA spun off Merrill Edge i have no idea why anyone would use Merrill Lynch anymore……….

No reason you have to use mutual funds, everyone is painting themselves into a corner that doesnt exist. I use vanguard etfs just fine, and you dont have to use those either as there are very cheap exact same indices from other companies.

Merrill has really nice integration with my BofA account, great trading screen with simple to understand complex order entry, excellent historical portfolio/research tools, and a zillion free trades a month. I have accounts at fidelity, interactive brokers and tda as well. I much prefer many of the functions and ease of UI that Merrill has. I still cannot seem to find a simple way to see how my account has performed at fidelity/tda. Its convoluted and actually havent seen it at all easily at fidelity. At ME, its a simple click and very intuitive.

Comment

I used merrill for a number of years.  It always irritated me that I did not have the option to buy Vanguard funds.  Once Vanguard starting offering ETFs I could buy Vanguard products.  I had an epiphany and moved all my money to Vanguard and have loved it.  My view is that Schwab and Fidelity are offering loss leading products to stop everyone from going to Vanguard.  I have no idea how long they will do it.  At some point they may increase the ERs.  But what do I know I am not a financial professional.
      Click to expand…

must be only Merrill Lynch because my kid’s brokerage account is at Merrill Edge and I did a lazy vanguard portfolio for him with vanguard funds. Ever since BoA spun off Merrill Edge i have no idea why anyone would use Merrill Lynch anymore……….
      Click to expand…

No reason you have to use mutual funds, everyone is painting themselves into a corner that doesnt exist. I use vanguard etfs just fine, and you dont have to use those either as there are very cheap exact same indices from other companies.

Merrill has really nice integration with my BofA account, great trading screen with simple to understand complex order entry, excellent historical portfolio/research tools, and a zillion free trades a month. I have accounts at fidelity, interactive brokers and tda as well. I much prefer many of the functions and ease of UI that Merrill has. I still cannot seem to find a simple way to see how my account has performed at fidelity/tda. Its convoluted and actually havent seen it at all easily at fidelity. At ME, its a simple click and very intuitive.

have you figured out how to auto-invest the ETFs at Edge (they have told us it is coming, but haven't seen it yet)...that's the only reason I defaulted to funds in my kids brokerage account...I put the autopilot on each month to drop money into his funds.  Yes, otherwise we (joint) use Edge for our stocks which is 98% of what we have. (few funds in employer accounts and 529 since that is only option).

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

have you figured out how to auto-invest the ETFs at Edge (they have told us it is coming, but haven’t seen it yet)…that’s the only reason I defaulted to funds in my kids brokerage account…I put the autopilot on each month to drop money into his funds.  Yes, otherwise we (joint) use Edge for our stocks which is 98% of what we have. (few funds in employer accounts and 529 since that is only option).

I've never auto invested, I certainly am too hands on for that in this account. I have it set for my wifes accounts at fidelity.

Comment

Working...
        X