Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you preparing for doomsday? aka the next great bear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Her name is Ygritte. “You know nothing…”
    Click to expand…

I can’t tell you how embarrassing it is to have made that mistake. I’ve read the books that are currently out twice and have seen the series 3-4 times. I feel like such a fantasy fan failure!
    Click to expand…

WHO THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I get that you young rascals know about this stuff, but @Vagabond is an old coot like me. Or, at least I thought so…I guess all will be revealed in Park City heh heh heh.
    Click to expand…

Cone on, Foxie, get with the program. ????

BTW, the fox is the sigil for House Florent.
    Click to expand…

Okay, okay, I’ve just ordered the first book. It better be worth one of my precious Audible credits…
    Click to expand…

The reading of the audible book is subpar, IMO. A series that is as popular as GOT has become should get a redo by a team of more polished readers for the audiobook, IMO. Better yet, just watch the series.

If I had as much free time on my hands as all of you physicians seem to have, I'd watch it. :twisted:
    Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

• I read a lot, and deeply in the science fiction and fantasy genre. The original series has been criticized for the quality of GRRM’s writing, despite the memorable plot and memorable characters. I actually enjoyed the audio book more after watching the HBO series, with its fine acting, lush settings and compelling action. For the viewer, the vivid images created by the show now make a fresh read almost impossible. This may be a good thing. Roy Dotrice does an effective job of narrating the audiobook, and the writing becomes quite secondary to the story itself. Listen to it, and enjoy another iteration of the series you already love. Or would love if you watched it first.  
      My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

• I read a lot, and deeply in the science fiction and fantasy genre. The original series has been criticized for the quality of GRRM’s writing, despite the memorable plot and memorable characters. I actually enjoyed the audio book more after watching the HBO series, with its fine acting, lush settings and compelling action. For the viewer, the vivid images created by the show now make a fresh read almost impossible. This may be a good thing. Roy Dotrice does an effective job of narrating the audiobook, and the writing becomes quite secondary to the story itself. Listen to it, and enjoy another iteration of the series you already love. Or would love if you watched it first.  ????

Yeah I read the first book after having watched through everything, and it was near unreadable, but I was on a plane so I did it anyways. There was a smidgen of good background info not directly given in tv (but alluded to), but overall meh. This is one of the few times the book doesnt beat the show. Another that is up there is hitchikers guide to the galaxy, book/script are pretty much exactly the same so it is wonderful as well (obviously i believe that).

Comment

• I read a lot, and deeply in the science fiction and fantasy genre. The original series has been criticized for the quality of GRRM’s writing, despite the memorable plot and memorable characters. I actually enjoyed the audio book more after watching the HBO series, with its fine acting, lush settings and compelling action. For the viewer, the vivid images created by the show now make a fresh read almost impossible. This may be a good thing. Roy Dotrice does an effective job of narrating the audiobook, and the writing becomes quite secondary to the story itself. Listen to it, and enjoy another iteration of the series you already love. Or would love if you watched it first.  ????
          Click to expand…

Yeah I read the first book after having watched through everything, and it was near unreadable, but I was on a plane so I did it anyways. There was a smidgen of good background info not directly given in tv (but alluded to), but overall meh. This is one of the few times the book doesnt beat the show. Another that is up there is hitchikers guide to the galaxy, book/script are pretty much exactly the same so it is wonderful as well (obviously i believe that).

If you are referring to the original Hitchhiker’s Guide (BBC, from the 80’s), I agree.

And, I agree, the GOT HBO series crushes the book. You can get all the background info, in a much more entertaining format, from the BingeMode podcasts, which are lots of fun.

Comment

• Her name is Ygritte. “You know nothing…”
            Click to expand…

I can’t tell you how embarrassing it is to have made that mistake. I’ve read the books that are currently out twice and have seen the series 3-4 times. I feel like such a fantasy fan failure!
            Click to expand…

WHO THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I get that you young rascals know about this stuff, but @Vagabond is an old coot like me. Or, at least I thought so…I guess all will be revealed in Park City heh heh heh.
            Click to expand…

Cone on, Foxie, get with the program. ????

BTW, the fox is the sigil for House Florent.
            Click to expand…

Okay, okay, I’ve just ordered the first book. It better be worth one of my precious Audible credits…
            Click to expand…

The reading of the audible book is subpar, IMO. A series that is as popular as GOT has become should get a redo by a team of more polished readers for the audiobook, IMO. Better yet, just watch the series.
            Click to expand…

If I had as much free time on my hands as all of you physicians seem to have, I’d watch it. ????

Maybe you should (also) go part time.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

If you are referring to the original Hitchhiker’s Guide (BBC, from the 80’s), I agree.

And, I agree, the GOT HBO series crushes the book. You can get all the background info, in a much more entertaining format, from the BingeMode podcasts, which are lots of fun.

Yeah, my wife cant help herself so shes on reddit or whatever youtube ppl dissecting things so you pick up a lot of stuff that isnt or wouldnt be obvious. Sometimes im unsure whether it ruins a show (didnt with GOT), or makes it better. Westworld was thoroughly cracked by reddit early on, but it was still great.

Cant believe its not until 2019.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Yeah, my wife cant help herself so shes on reddit or whatever youtube ppl dissecting things so you pick up a lot of stuff that isnt or wouldnt be obvious. Sometimes im unsure whether it ruins a show (didnt with GOT), or makes it better. Westworld was thoroughly cracked by reddit early on, but it was still great.

I have scratched the GOT itch by visiting some filming locations. I hope to do some more such travel before the show returns in 2019.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I have scratched the GOT itch by visiting some filming locations. I hope to do some more such travel before the show returns in 2019.

We went to the season premiere last year, not actual viewing, just the red (ice blue) carpet event.

Comment

• Maybe you should (also) go part time.

Cut back to 40 hours a week? Perish the thought!

Let's see, my notice could go something like this:

Dearest client,

It has been brought to my attention that I have not been watching enough TV. In order to rectify this situation, I will be going to part-time and am giving a month's notice that I won't be quite as available as you've become used to. While I still want you to be able to retire on time, I just don't care quite as much about it now that I've started watching Game of Thrones. I'm sure you understand - life is short! Please direct any inquiries to my life coach, Vagabond_MD, c/o White Coat Investor forum.

Your trusted advisor,

Johanna  
                    Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Click to expand…

Let’s see, my notice could go something like this:

Dearest client,

It has been brought to my attention that I have not been watching enough TV. In order to rectify this situation, I will be going to part-time and am giving a month’s notice that I won’t be quite as available as you’ve become used to. While I still want you to be able to retire on time, I just don’t care quite as much about it now that I’ve started watching Game of Thrones. I’m sure you understand – life is short! Please direct any inquiries to my life coach, Vagabond_MD, c/o White Coat Investor forum.

Your trusted advisor,

Johanna  ????

My thought would be to just do it. No need to notify. The underlying hope and philosophy is that maybe no one will notice ?  

Comment

Click to expand…

Let’s see, my notice could go something like this:

Dearest client,

It has been brought to my attention that I have not been watching enough TV. In order to rectify this situation, I will be going to part-time and am giving a month’s notice that I won’t be quite as available as you’ve become used to. While I still want you to be able to retire on time, I just don’t care quite as much about it now that I’ve started watching Game of Thrones. I’m sure you understand – life is short! Please direct any inquiries to my life coach, Vagabond_MD, c/o White Coat Investor forum.

Your trusted advisor,

Johanna  
                        Click to expand…

My thought would be to just do it. No need to notify. The underlying hope and philosophy is that maybe no one will notice  

lol, that was totally in jest. But I guess your response is, too.  

Comment

• Mostly in jest. But would they really notice if you cut back by 20%? Rhetorical question.

Comment

• If you are referring to the original Hitchhiker’s Guide (BBC, from the 80’s), I agree.

I agree. The 80's BBC radio version of Hitchhiker's Guide was, and still is, a truly great adaptation of the novels.

There are so many memorable scenes with satirical social commentary. One of my favorites is when Arthur and Ford find themselves on the Golgafrinchan "evacuation" Ark B.

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Golgafrinchan_Ark_Fleet_Ship_B

Whenever I encounter a healthcare administrator whose sole purpose seems to be to slow or obstruct reasonable patient care, I console myself by muttering "Ark B" under my breath.

Comment

Working...
                            X