Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zback
    • Dec 2016

401k contributions?

So I'm a EM guy, work for multiple groups all on 1099s. I am going to contribute to the only 401k (solo) I have. I can stash away up to 54k correct? I am not incorporated. I am not a partner in any group and do not get a match.
  • bravotwozero
    • Dec 2017

yes, that is correct. Since you qualify as being an independent contractor, you can contribute to the 401k both from the employee and the employer portions, which adds up to a limit of 54k a year. What's more, is that if you also have a w2 position at one of your gigs, you can also have a SEP IRA in addition to your 401k.

Comment

• zback
      • Dec 2016

I do not have to specify anything specific. I can just send a one time personal check for 54k to fidelity account, correct?

Comment

• jfoxcpacfp
        • Jan 2016

What’s more, is that if you also have a w2 position at one of your gigs, you can also have a SEP IRA in addition to your 401k.

Sorry, I disagree. If zback is an employee, it is up to the employer to set up and fund the SEP. Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying - anything you could add to the original statement?
        My passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors 270-247-6087 to schedule CPA and Financial Planning initial introductions for Fox CPA and Wrenne Financial Planning, my affiliate firm. We charge Flat Fees for both CPA & Fee-Only Financial Planning.

Comment

• ENT Doc
          Physician
          • Jan 2017

I do not have to specify anything specific. I can just send a one time personal check for 54k to fidelity account, correct?

I would talk to Fidelity, but they should have you fill out a deposit form on which you'll show the employee and employer contribution.  In terms of how this gets sent in I know you can wire or send a check for the employer contribution - not sure about the employee contribution.  Regarding the SEP comment above, you wouldn't be able to safely do the Backdoor Roth if you did that.

Comment

• jfoxcpacfp
            • Jan 2016

(see below for correction of my mistake)

I would talk to Fidelity, but they should have you fill out a deposit form on which you’ll show the employee and employer contribution.

TDA d/n care about the division between employer and employee when you contribute and I bet it's the same with Fidelity. You just send or wire the $$.
            My passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors 270-247-6087 to schedule CPA and Financial Planning initial introductions for Fox CPA and Wrenne Financial Planning, my affiliate firm. We charge Flat Fees for both CPA & Fee-Only Financial Planning.

Comment

• ENT Doc
              Physician
              • Jan 2017

Click to expand…

Assuming you are filing as a sole proprietor or SMLLC, you must contribute the $18k by 01/15/18 and the balance of $36k by the due date of your income tax return, including extensions. If you are incorporated, you need to contribute $18k by 12/31/17.

I would talk to Fidelity, but they should have you fill out a deposit form on which you’ll show the employee and employer contribution.
              Click to expand…

TDA d/n care about the division between employer and employee when you contribute and I bet it’s the same with Fidelity. You just send or wire the $$.

Fidelity's form:

https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/060_www_fidelity_com/documents/customer-service/self-employed-401k-contribution-remittance.pdf

Comment

• bravotwozero
                • Dec 2017

What’s more, is that if you also have a w2 position at one of your gigs, you can also have a SEP IRA in addition to your 401k. 
                Click to expand…

Sorry, I disagree. If zback is an employee, it is up to the employer to set up and fund the SEP. Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying – anything you could add to the original statement?

I guess what I meant was if he was an employee and had an employer SEP with matching contributions, then he could still setup another retirement plan if he also had a 1099, like a 401k. Or, if he's got two 1099 jobs, could setup two plans for each...

Comment

• jfoxcpacfp
                  • Jan 2016

Click to expand…

Assuming you are filing as a sole proprietor or SMLLC, you must contribute the $18k by 01/15/18 and the balance of $36k by the due date of your income tax return, including extensions. If you are incorporated, you need to contribute $18k by 12/31/17.

Click to expand…

TDA d/n care about the division between employer and employee when you contribute and I bet it’s the same with Fidelity. You just send or wire the $$.
                  Click to expand…

Fidelity’s form:

https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/060_www_fidelity_com/documents/customer-service/self-employed-401k-contribution-remittance.pdf

...and so it's not 

Comment

• jfoxcpacfp
                    • Jan 2016

Click to expand…

Sorry, I disagree. If zback is an employee, it is up to the employer to set up and fund the SEP. Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying – anything you could add to the original statement?
                    Click to expand…

I guess what I meant was if he was an employee and had an employer SEP with matching contributions, then he could still setup another retirement plan if he also had a 1099, like a 401k. Or, if he’s got two 1099 jobs, could setup two plans for each…

I think we're going in circles and confusing zback (me, too, for that matter). As he stated, he's solely IC. No opportunity for a 2nd plan. If he has 2 1099 jobs (which he does), he still can have only one plan. All of his IC income is aggregated for purposes of the $54k limit.

Comment

• childay
                      Physician
                      • Jan 2016

Are you sure?  For non-incorporated I believe the entire amount can be contributed by the tax deadline.  The "employee" merely must "elect" their contribution before then, by Dec 31st.

Comment

• ENT Doc
                        Physician
                        • Jan 2017

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Fidelity’s form:

Click to expand…

…and so it’s not ?

Right, so same check but they want you to differentiate the employee vs employer components (it appears).

Comment

• childay
                          Physician
                          • Jan 2016

Right, so same check but they want you to differentiate the employee vs employer components (it appears).

I believe Fidelity just has that there for the customer's record-keeping, they don't actually keep track of it.

Comment

• jfoxcpacfp
                            • Jan 2016

Click to expand…

Are you sure?  For non-incorporated I believe the entire amount can be contributed by the tax deadline.  The “employee” merely must “elect” their contribution before then, by Dec 31st.

No, I'm not sure and you are absolutely right. I did not check with my partner first, and should have - she handles all of the filing deadlines. The rules are:

• 15 days after your final paycheck to contribute the employee portion - this is for corporations.

• Sole proprietorships, SMLLCs, and partnerships, due date of the tax return, including extensions. I'm not sure about the 12/31 "election", though - what are you referring to?

I'll delete what I typed above. Thx!

Comment

• spiritrider
                              • Feb 2016

This is a common oversight of one-participant 401k plans. An employee elective deferral can not be made before a deferral election has been made.

For a w-2 employee, this means the election must occur before the payroll that deducts the deferral occurs. However, for the self-employed, their compensation is treated as being received on the last day of the year. Therefore, this means the "election" must be made by 12/31.

This is not something that is filed with the IRS. It is simply retained in the employer's records. An election remains in effect until revoked or changed. This can be a simple % of compensation, fixed contribution over a period or some more complex form as long as it is deterministic when applied to compensation.

I'm sure if the IRS ever requested this from a sole proprietor, they could "find" this in their records. However, I suggest that anyone who can't find theirs, do so now or create one before 12/31/17.

Comment

Working...