No announcement yet.

Bonds? James Bond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you think long rates are nearing a peak? the worst treasury selloff in history continues..
    treasuries have been wobbling between further unexpected inflation ( they fall ) and market panic ( they rise ). I've started a position anticipating panic >> unexpected inflation. I can live with any regret.

Comment

Originally posted by Dont_know_mind View Post

The truly sad thing about this is that I (and probably you and possibly most of this forum) would have been better off with upgrading our house to the most expensive thing we could afford during COVID and getting a large 30 year mortgage in May 2020.

That in retrospect has done better than everything else I can think of.

I can’t believe I’ve been spending huge amounts of time thinking about equities in the last 2 years, when my return would have been double that with about 1% of the thinking if I’d just listened to my wife!
      Ha ha, we did the same. Refinanced at 2.125% APR, got 100K out for a second home purchase and a HELOC at 3.5% for any short term remodeling needs. That and gold are the only 2 assets that have held up.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko-ER View Post

Ha ha, we did the same. Refinanced at 2.125% APR, got 100K out for a second home purchase and a HELOC at 3.5% for any short term remodeling needs. That and gold are the only 2 assets that have held up.
        I appreciate the call out for gold here - it’s the exact reason that it’s on my radar - because it drags until it shines. It’s a situational hedge.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewangski1 View Post

I appreciate the call out for gold here - it’s the exact reason that it’s on my radar - because it drags until it shines. It’s a situational hedge.
          Maybe, over very specific periods, but you have to time it correctly. Good luck with that.

Otherwise you are just holding a non-productive asset long-term, which historically has comparatively poor returns and hasn’t even been that good of a hedge.

Comment

Originally posted by bovie View Post

Maybe, over very specific periods, but you have to time it correctly. Good luck with that.

Otherwise you are just holding a non-productive asset long-term, which historically has comparatively poor returns and hasn’t even been that good of a hedge.
            I definitely hear this and see this opinion frequently. However, run simulations of your favorite portfolio with and without gold. While history is not guaranteed to repeat, I have struggled to find a simple stock/bond/RE portfolio that wins without gold. Again, it’s not a return play, but rather diversification for stability and volatility. But I do agree that it can drag, but so can cash and bonds and I’m only consider a 2 year expense allocation.

Comment

I use short term Treasuries mainly, along with a muni ETF.

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post
                I use short term Treasuries mainly, along with a muni ETF.
                Which muni ETF do you like?

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post

Which muni ETF do you like?
                  I've used Vteb and Mub in the past.

Comment

Working...
                  X