X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR
    replied
    Originally posted by Tangler View Post
    AR, are we in for another 50 post AR rant?
    I don't know. Do you need 50 posts to understand that a whole lot of people post questions that could be easily answered with a bit of effort and research and therefore you can't really draw strong conclusions (as specific as "virtue signaling") from that?

I sure hope not. It should be pretty uncontroversial.
    Last edited by AR; 05-29-2022, 02:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied
    Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post

Not really. It’s not virtue signaling to ask about “how do I fill out this 8606?” when there are dozens of posts and guides addressing this already. That’s just laziness. This, like the humble brag, is meant to signal something or make one feel better.
    Sure. I mean there is no way this couldn't also be laziness. That's impossible.

Leave a comment:

• ENT Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by AR View Post

That's probably true of about half the OPs on this forum. At the very least.

I guess there is a whole lot of virtue signaling going on.
    Not really. It’s not virtue signaling to ask about “how do I fill out this 8606?” when there are dozens of posts and guides addressing this already. That’s just laziness. This, like the humble brag, is meant to signal something or make one feel better.

Leave a comment:

• Tangler
    replied
    Originally posted by AR View Post

AR, are we in for another 50 post AR rant?

OP I would just do VTI and fund your own charity as Kamban suggests, but I think Vanguard has what you described.

Blackrock has this also, but I would choose vanguard if you chose that path.

Leave a comment:

• Tangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Kamban View Post
    Guns, alcohol, cigarettes, gambling, fast food, fossil fuels, etc, etc. There are many social evils. It is difficult to have funds that tease those out and also give good returns.

I ignore all that and just invest in total stock or S & P 500 or 1000. And individually address the issues with charity.
    Bingo. VTI, then fund whatever floats your boat.

you might be disappointed in what vanguard or whomever chooses to include or exclude.

Better to pick on your own.

I believe that is what WCI also does.

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied
    Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post

This seems like virtue signaling TBH because everything you seek can easily be googled.

Leave a comment:

• ENT Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by snowboundobgyn View Post
    Of course iit is not the existence of guns, or the manufacturing of guns, that we are opposed to. That is all fine and good, weapons and war exist, it is a fact of life. It is the relentless efforts of the gun lobby to ensure that no reasonable gun control legislation will ever be passed specifically in this country to prevent the massacre of children at an elementary school. I am only responding because you asked - I did not intend this to be a political thread. I just want to know what funds to invest in. I don't to make money off of these children's deaths, end of story. I am not alone because these funds exist and actually perform just fine.
    This seems like virtue signaling TBH because everything you seek can easily be googled.

Leave a comment:

• snowboundobgyn
    replied
    Of course iit is not the existence of guns, or the manufacturing of guns, that we are opposed to. That is all fine and good, weapons and war exist, it is a fact of life. It is the relentless efforts of the gun lobby to ensure that no reasonable gun control legislation will ever be passed specifically in this country to prevent the massacre of children at an elementary school. I am only responding because you asked - I did not intend this to be a political thread. I just want to know what funds to invest in. I don't to make money off of these children's deaths, end of story. I am not alone because these funds exist and actually perform just fine.

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied
    Guns, alcohol, cigarettes, gambling, fast food, fossil fuels, etc, etc. There are many social evils. It is difficult to have funds that tease those out and also give good returns.

I ignore all that and just invest in total stock or S & P 500 or 1000. And individually address the issues with charity.

Leave a comment:

• Hank
    replied
    So no arms for Ukraine? Isn’t that effectively appeasing and endorsing Mr. Putin’s invasion and attempted genocide and annexation in Ukraine?

Leave a comment:

• snowboundobgyn
    started a topic Socially responsible index funds?

Socially responsible index funds?

My wife and I can't be the only ones who are especially anxious to make sure we don't have any gun stocks in our portfolio this week... just cannot stomach having any personal connection to this industry & profiting off it. we are invested in Vanguard & Fidelity index funds and are just looking to change our total stock market funds to similar ones without the gun stocks. I looked around and it looks like Vanguard's VFTAX and Fidelity's FITLX are what we are looking for, can anyone confirm or deny? Obviously if they happen also to not contain tobacco, EtOH, or whatever else people think is equally immoral, that is fine.
Working...
X