Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Understanding bonds: sorry for my ignorance; help appreciated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nastle View Post

I have no financial planner
    I have these assets in the permanent portfolio and golden buttery portfolio right now
    https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/ho...nal-statement/

Comment

The bond yield is the rate over a given term. The other piece to consider is the time value of money. On a short time scale, like three months, it will make very little difference in discounting those future cash flows.

You are looking at zero-coupon bonds purchased at a discount. The YTM can get a bit more convoluted as you increase the bond's duration.

A question, mostly because I'm curious, why t bills right now and not another short-term debt instrument? Not a criticism. I am trying to understand what people are doing in the current environment.
      Cobin Soelberg, M.D., J.D. - Principal & Owner
      Helping physicians make intelligent money decisions to build and protect their hard-earned wealth
      Greeley Wealth Management | [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by altadoc View Post
        The bond yield is the rate over a given term. The other piece to consider is the time value of money. On a short time scale, like three months, it will make very little difference in discounting those future cash flows.

You are looking at zero-coupon bonds purchased at a discount. The YTM can get a bit more convoluted as you increase the bond's duration.

A question, mostly because I'm curious, why t bills right now and not another short-term debt instrument? Not a criticism. I am trying to understand what people are doing in the current environment.
        I am just trying to learn about all different kinds of bonds. I will make a bond ladder or CD ladder + cash to fight SORR when i fully retire. what do you favor to avoid SORR ?

Comment

A CD ladder is relatively easy to implement. You can do something similar with bonds, but it takes a little bit more time and work. I tend to favor simplicity and go with a CD ladder.
          Cobin Soelberg, M.D., J.D. - Principal & Owner
          Helping physicians make intelligent money decisions to build and protect their hard-earned wealth
          Greeley Wealth Management | [email protected]

Comment

golden buttery portfolio. Sounds delicious.

I appreciate this bond thread.

Comment

Working...
            X