Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cash bucket options (short term needs). CD tents, Bond tents etc. dynamic situation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IRdoc View Post
    T Bills (1 month) around 2.8% right now... comes with tax advantages. Am i missing something? Seems way better than a CD right now
    I already bought the CDs a few weeks ago. At the time they were yielding slightly higher than T-bills. Dynamic situation. Buy whatever looks good.

My HY savings account with sofi also went up to 1.80% (from 1.25%) and I am happy with that.

I am basically doing two things right now:

1. HY savings account (totally liquid, growing this)

2. Investing in stock index funds (we are still down >15% YTD) (stocks for the long run)

I will look at CDs and short term bonds again in a few weeks......seems like interest rates are rising and might be worth just sitting tight and seeing were things go before locking in.

Does this seem reasonable?

Comment

Reasonable? Yes, absolutely. If those are no-penalty CDs, then I would consider switching, especially if 1 month T bills stay that high. Can be used for E fund, as credit card can cover 1 month, until you can cash those in and pay CC if push came to shove. Different for 3 month and longer T bills though.

Comment

4 week T bills are not 2.8%. more like 2.1%.

one downside of T bills vs a CD is that if T bill rates go down you might wish you'd bought the CD. better to compare CD rate to T bill or T bond rate of similar maturity

Comment

Originally posted by IRdoc View Post
          T Bills (1 month) around 2.8% right now... comes with tax advantages. Am i missing something? Seems way better than a CD right now
          If you have cash doing nothing, then yes, putting it in T-bills is not a bad option, for safekeeping.

This site updates almost daily with the most recent yields. Yesterday the 1 month was at 2.15%

https://home.treasury.gov/resource-c...e_month=202207

Comment

Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post
            4 week T bills are not 2.8%. more like 2.1%.

one downside of T bills vs a CD is that if T bill rates go down you might wish you'd bought the CD. better to compare CD rate to T bill or T bond rate of similar maturity
            Agree... I swear Vanguard was showing those rates pre-market today... alas, 2.1% or so. I have loaded up on the 6 months

Comment

This doesn't have to do with short-term cash equivalents, but if the goal is immunizing against SORR, have you considered having some AA in private real estate? In recent times, it seems like a more useful diversifier than bonds (especially if you don't already have bonds). Having a real estate debt fund in a self-directed Roth has been my best investment over the past year, and some type of evergreen housing fund in your taxable space can provide some of the tax-advantaged return of direct real estate without the landlord headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by 99mkw View Post
                This doesn't have to do with short-term cash equivalents, but if the goal is immunizing against SORR, have you considered having some AA in private real estate? In recent times, it seems like a more useful diversifier than bonds (especially if you don't already have bonds). Having a real estate debt fund in a self-directed Roth has been my best investment over the past year, and some type of evergreen housing fund in your taxable space can provide some of the tax-advantaged return of direct real estate without the landlord headaches.
                No thanks. These do not strike me as low risk or simple to understand / evaluate.
                Last edited by Tangler; 07-29-2022, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X