Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I invest in my future by going to med school?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hank
    replied
    Hey there little troll, you aren’t allowed to have more than one account (WCI Rule 7) and you shouldn’t post in bad faith and waste people’s time.

I certainly agree that you should have substantial involvement with psychiatry. I don’t think you’ll be the one treating the patient, but psychiatry may well be the right answer.

Leave a comment:

• Anne
    replied
    mediocre_troll would be both a classier and more fitting username

Leave a comment:

• HikingDO
    replied
    Ugh, looks like I fed a couple of trolls in this thread. I must be slipping, I’m usually better than that.

Leave a comment:

• F0017S0
    replied
    Originally posted by wideopenspaces View Post

Just look at the username. That pretty much tells you everything you need to know about this person and their chances of becoming a psychiatrist.
    At this point, I'm leaning heavily towards a troll for this one.

Leave a comment:

• jacoavlu
    replied
    as far as trolls go this is only mediocre

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    This took a real Student Doctor Forum turn.

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied
    Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

How can you possibly make a claim that osteopathic students are less competitive for these top allopathic schools compared to any other students? What evidence do you have for this?
    I don't know what thread you're reading. But I never made that claim. The claim I've made, which really should be crystal clear at this point, is that neither top MD students nor top DO students would be competitive applicants for "most medical schools" (of course, this depends on how you define top, which I also stated previously). The heavy reliance on state residency makes that impossible.

Even the guy you were responding to didn't make that claim. At best, he may have implied it.

Anyway, despite the fact I did not make that claim, you actually posted evidence supporting it:

In 2020, the average MCAT and GPA for students entering US allopathic programs were 511 and 3.74. The average MCAT and GPA for students entering US osteopathic programs were 504 and 3.54.
    Presumably if the stats are lower for the median student, unless the distributions are really weird I'd assume that the stats would be lower at every percentile. I admit this is not necessarily true, and if you have data to suggest otherwise, I'd be interested in seeing it and I would reject that assumption. Nevertheless, none of this has to do with the claim I made.

Leave a comment:

• HikingDO
    replied
    Originally posted by AR View Post

The claim was not that a top DO student would not be competitive for ANY allopathic medical schools. Or even SOME allopathic medical schools. It was

That is a super high bar to clear even for top MD students because there are so many state medical schools who give massive preference to in state students. If you're out of state you almost have no shot at these unless you are truly exceptional, and even then maybe not.
    How can you possibly make a claim that osteopathic students are less competitive for these top allopathic schools compared to any other students? What evidence do you have for this?

Leave a comment:

• wideopenspaces
    replied
    Originally posted by artemis View Post

Can you describe what you find so attractive about psychiatry? That might help us figure out if your expectations for what a career in that field is like are realistic or not.
    Just look at the username. That pretty much tells you everything you need to know about this person and their chances of becoming a psychiatrist.

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied

In 2020, the average MCAT and GPA for students entering US allopathic programs were 511 and 3.74. The average MCAT and GPA for students entering US osteopathic programs were 504 and 3.54. Pretty unlikely only 15% of those osteopathic students only got interviews at allopathic schools. Believe it or not, for some students getting into an allopathic medical school isn’t the holy grail of their lives. Although it was 30 years ago, I was accepted to an allopathic school along with four osteopathic medical schools. At my interview, I fell in the love with the osteopathic medical that I eventually chose, and I haven’t regretted that choice once in the last 30 years. Remember, not everyone has the same goals and desires in life, and some things that are important to one person may not be important to another.
    The claim was not that a top DO student would not be competitive for ANY allopathic medical schools. Or even SOME allopathic medical schools. It was

they know even top DO students weren't competitive for most MD schools. .
    That is a super high bar to clear even for top MD students because there are so many state medical schools who give massive preference to in state students. If you're out of state you almost have no shot at these unless you are truly exceptional, and even then maybe not.

Leave a comment:

• Brains428
    replied
    You can also get a PsyD. Clinical psychologist. 5 years post grad. There are also mental health nurse practitioners.

Each degree for psych path with have different utilization and practice scope.

I wouldn't bank on doing whatever you think you'll be doing. Most people change their minds with a few exceptions. I don't know many radiologists who wanted to do radiology starting first year med school unless they had a parent or family member in the business.

Leave a comment:

• F0017S0
    replied
    Originally posted by excited_delirium View Post
    I'll check it out, but I'd much rather dabble in psychiatry tbh

"[D]abble"? What does that mean? To be a psychiatrist, you're doing four years of medical school, three-four years of residency: eight years possibly just to "dabble". Another option might be a PhD in psychology (fully funded) followed by an internship and licensing.

Leave a comment:

• HikingDO
    replied
    Originally posted by AR View Post

Really? Not even close? Maybe it depends on how stringently you are defining "top"?

Even the top half of MD students would not have gotten interviews at "most" allopathic medical schools. Top 1% probably would have. Something like top 15%, I'm not sure, but given the heavy emphasis placed on state residency, I'd lean towards would not.
    In 2020, the average MCAT and GPA for students entering US allopathic programs were 511 and 3.74. The average MCAT and GPA for students entering US osteopathic programs were 504 and 3.54. Pretty unlikely only 15% of those osteopathic students only got interviews at allopathic schools. Believe it or not, for some students getting into an allopathic medical school isn’t the holy grail of their lives. Although it was 30 years ago, I was accepted to an allopathic school along with four osteopathic medical schools. At my interview, I fell in the love with the osteopathic medical that I eventually chose, and I haven’t regretted that choice once in the last 30 years. Remember, not everyone has the same goals and desires in life, and some things that are important to one person may not be important to another.

Leave a comment:

• artemis
    replied
    Originally posted by excited_delirium View Post
    I'll check it out, but I'd much rather dabble in psychiatry tbh
    Can you describe what you find so attractive about psychiatry? That might help us figure out if your expectations for what a career in that field is like are realistic or not.
    Last edited by artemis; 04-29-2022, 06:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied

This isn’t even close to being accurate.
    Really? Not even close? Maybe it depends on how stringently you are defining "top"?

Even the top half of MD students would not have gotten interviews at "most" allopathic medical schools. Top 1% probably would have. Something like top 15%, I'm not sure, but given the heavy emphasis placed on state residency, I'd lean towards would not.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X