Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netflix, zoom, docusign, not doing so well.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Netflix, zoom, docusign, not doing so well.

    So what.

    VTSAX and done.

  • #2
    Yea, who could have predicted Netflix which has already reached most mature markets, combined with the end of house lockdown and competition from maybe 6-10 other streaming services and having all their good content taken away would results in less subscribers? Stock picking is impossible.

    Comment


    • #3
      Is this why Docusign keeps sending me emails even after I've already unsubscribed at least a dozen times

      Comment


      • #4
        netflix is the one that got away from me. In my much younger years when I was picking some stocks while just starting out in a career, back in 2005-2006 I thought netflix would be a good buy. I didn't buy because I had been burned with other stocks prior and felt if I invested the stock would go down. Obviously a green investor then. Even with the recent drop if I had put $5k down like I intended, i'd be way ahead

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
          Yea, who could have predicted Netflix which has already reached most mature markets, combined with the end of house lockdown and competition from maybe 6-10 other streaming services and having all their good content taken away would results in less subscribers? Stock picking is impossible.
          I guess the problem is knowing exactly “when” it would happen.

          I couldn’t / cannot do it.

          You might be better than Buffet?

          You certainly are better than me.

          Fortunately, I chose not to try.
          Last edited by Tangler; 04-24-2022, 11:20 AM.

          Comment


          • #6

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by burritos View Post
              hahahah

              I have only started investing in Late december/ Early jan 2021 i was about a year out of residency at that time (first job didn't let me contribute to 401k, and first year i pretended i was rich). I however, did start stock picking and one of them was Netflix, I somehow saw the writing on the wall and sold out of netflix before all this happened maybe 2 months ago, ill post my activity, I also dont invest in one trick pony's anymore and would never invest in docusign, roku or zoom. This is my solo 401k. Yes i bought in at all time market highs. but i thought i had to put money in by the end of the year for it to count for 2021.


              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tangler View Post

                I guess the problem is knowing exactly “when” it would happen.

                I couldn’t / cannot do it.

                You might be better than Buffet?

                You certainly are better than me.

                Fortunately, I chose not to try.
                What? This, like bonds was a super easy call.

                Every single one of these companies, PTON etc...realized their terminal TAM in short order during covid, they pulled forward a decade plus of growth, then were valued at beyond dot com levels.

                Someone on twitter said this relatively early on and it was just obviously true. Doesnt mean timing a short was easy, but seeing they had no where to go was actually easy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Zaphod View Post

                  What? This, like bonds was a super easy call.

                  Every single one of these companies, PTON etc...realized their terminal TAM in short order during covid, they pulled forward a decade plus of growth, then were valued at beyond dot com levels.

                  Someone on twitter said this relatively early on and it was just obviously true. Doesnt mean timing a short was easy, but seeing they had no where to go was actually easy.
                  Good for you. Glad it worked out. honestly.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by burritos View Post
                    Awesomeness! He is really funny!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tangler View Post
                      Good for you. Glad it worked out. honestly.
                      I didnt short them, I dont do individual stocks really, long or short, you just dont know what could happen. I did and do hold SARK off and on and SQQQ (took half off friday), TMV (took some off friday).

                      I wish i had ofc, but no, not for me.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I had NFLX puts. Timing is definitely two parts...entry and exit.

                        Entry was right, exit was slightly off. Had a good profit but could have had >10x profit.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I like all three companies, think they offer a valuable service, and hope they stay in business, even if they move from being growth stocks to being value stocks.
                          Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think that netflix downfall was very predictable. I have been sharing my parent's in law account for years now and it's clear the content quality has gone down. The original films they make look like unfinished made for video films while all of the good content is being siphoned off to their respective studio streaming services. Unless the model of everyone setting up their own streaming service goes away, I don't see how they are going to survive long term. I would not pay for my own account if they stopped password sharing.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Everything is predictable in hindsight - everyone knew the irrational covid bubble wouldn't last, but then why didn't everyone short it?

                              'Double double, toil & trouble - fire burn & stock market bubble'

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X