Fidelity metaverse & digital payments ETF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fidelity metaverse & digital payments ETF

I'm wondering what the WCI community thinks about this passively managed ETF for exposure to digital payments?

I’ve thought that a digital payments passive index fund has advantages where you get to invest in a sector and not worry about any details of picking winners.

In general I am super leery of crypto. (I am WCI to the bone and trust Dr. Dahle on crypto). I worry that any crypto “investments” I make right now could be, as Ronald Reagan once said, “money down a rat hole”. Is this any different?

https://www.coindesk.com/business/20...outputType=amp
    The funds will give clients exposure to metaverse and digital payment-related companies.

I would not see the point. Those companies would eventually be represented in broad indexes, no need to tilt towards the metaverse or whatever.

Comment

You could capture this sector with a growth tilt. Growth index is cheap too.

Comment

Yup, agree with the above. Skip.

Sadly, I think facebook has a point about metaverse and if the pattern holds for in-game purchases (i.e. for e-gamers), then virtual goods are going to be big business.

https://www.forbesindia.com/article/...averse/75239/1

Comment

Originally posted by Marko-ER View Post
          ... if the pattern holds for in-game purchases (i.e. for e-gamers), then virtual goods are going to be big business...
          They already are big business.

Two major problems:
          1) The virtual purchases (clothes for meta character, guns for war video game, etc) are basically free to create. Unlimited supply crushes price.
          2) People who sit around and play games a lot don't have much income (and parents of kids who buy a lot will get the bill and then the kid finds the account credit card yanked at some point).

Comment

Working...
          X