Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tax loss harvesting

Hello,

When I go into my vanguard brokerage account I have a vanguard Total international stock market index fund admiral shares (VTIAX) with a total loss of around $6,000 since it's inception. I have found about 3 lots with a loss about $700-1000 each. I was thinking about tax loss harvesting these tax lots. I would have to buy another similar but different fund when doing this. I was thinking about VEU unless someone has a better one to recommend. When you tax loss harvest would you typically keep this fund (VEU) for good and use this as your tax loss harvesting vehicle for life or do you transfer it back to the original vanguard Total international stock market index fund admiral shares after the 30 day wash sale rule? Is it bad to do this given cost of selling/buying the fund back after 30 days.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Originally posted by livelifemd View Post
    Hello,

When I go into my vanguard brokerage account I have a vanguard Total international stock market index fund admiral shares (VTIAX) with a total loss of around $6,000 since it's inception. I have found about 3 lots with a loss about $700-1000 each. I was thinking about tax loss harvesting these tax lots. I would have to buy another similar but different fund when doing this. I was thinking about VEU unless someone has a better one to recommend. When you tax loss harvest would you typically keep this fund (VEU) for good and use this as your tax loss harvesting vehicle for life or do you transfer it back to the original vanguard Total international stock market index fund admiral shares after the 30 day wash sale rule? Is it bad to do this given cost of selling/buying the fund back after 30 days.

Thanks so much for any advice!
    I assume you know you're going from a MF to an ETF (I prefer the latter in taxable for TLH purposes).
    I tend to keep the new fund unless it continues to drop or has minimal gain, then you could swap back. Don't see much sense in paying capital gains taxes for almost identical funds.
    VXUS (ETF version of VTIAX) to VEU is my first swap partner for international, then IXUS

Comment

Recently did something similar to this with my Fidelity account TLH FZILX and buying VXUS.

Comment

I use IXUS (ishare international ETF). Very similar to VXUS. It's 2 basis points more expensive.

I like it because the ticker symbols are so similar to each other it's easy for me to remember.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice

Comment

Another follow up question. I have my lots set up to Spec ID. I have about 17 lots. Total VTIAX fund is down 5,600 in short term loss and 600 in long term loss. Only one lot is up about $200 dollars. Should I be tax loss harvesting the whole fund minus the one that is up $200 dollars. Is there an easy way to do this or do I need to individually tax loss harvest each lot.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X