Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ukraine War... How much will S&P drop this week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post

True, but human nature has not changed since 1982, or 1902, or even 0002. Our technologies and societies have improved, but not our genetics or natural tendencies.

It’s a calculated gamble on Putin part he understands no one in the west will risk all out war for Ukraine

Comment

• Originally posted by zlandar View Post
      I thought Biden was supposed to be the senile one.

Someone tell Putin it's 2022 and not 1982.
      Poland was within Warsaw Pact so it was easier

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko-ER View Post

I disagree, things are pretty black & white. And it is your circus, what is happening right now is right on the (western) flank of NATO. Japan, South Korea and Austrialia are (formally, though not in the same exact letter of the law) the eastern flank. Not to pick on the original poster, but I think similar thoughts are shared by many on this (US-centric) forum.

It is very hard to educate those born in the US about this, and hard to grapple with analogies. No Ukraine is not my own country, but it is close. It is as if, in an alternative timeline US never purchased Alaska from Russia and it was soviet. Then soviet union set up a puppet republic in the Yukon territories and was now invading Canada. Preposterous? Unimaginable? Yes, that is why it is so hard for native-born Americans to image, separated as they are by two giant oceans from any threat. The closest anything similar came to us was the Cuban Missile crisis.

People, please, please donate to refugee aid, whichever organization you choose to use (again, I am supporting LIRS among others); talk about how this invasion helps your bottom line and long-term horizon for stock investments, while true is just a bad look in face of human tragedy, even on an anonymous internet forum.
        The human carnage alone is criminal. But putting that aside, on the topic of educating those born in the US, I think not everyone sees the value to the US of the wise exercise of leadership and power in the world. Of course the vision of our leaders has not been uniformly magisterial. But the institutions and global norms we set up and have sustained since WWII benefit us, economically and politically. It is decidedly not in the best interests of the US to convey that we are willing to abandon those policies that foster the rule of law and the flourishing of international commerce.
        My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

• I’d also argue that the portable crematoriums that Russia has brought in, are not just for their own casualties…. Obviously.

Comment

I’d also argue that the portable crematoriums that Russia has brought in, are not just for their own casualties…. Obviously.
            This sounds like one of those wild claims circulating on right wing media and social media websites.

Snopes rates this unproven, and nowhere do they even mention the rumor that these are for Ukrainians as opposed to their own soldiers.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ru...-crematoriums/

Last edited by FIREshrink; 02-24-2022, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post
              This sounds like one of those wild claims circulating on right wing media and social media websites.

Snopes rates this unproven, and nowhere do they even mention the rumor that these are for Ukrainians as opposed to their own soldiers.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ru...-crematoriums/
              Yes it does. Though it popped up on my news feed from The Telegraph (est.1855) out of the UK. I would hope it’s not true. Just like I hoped those were just training exercises….

https://forum.whitecoatinvestor.com/...924#post304924

And I’m sure they would be used judiciously, after all….

Comment

Yes it does. Though it popped up on my news feed from The Telegraph (est.1855) out of the UK. I would hope it’s not true. Just like I hoped those were just training exercises….

https://forum.whitecoatinvestor.com/...924#post304924

And I’m sure they would be used judiciously, after all….
                Yes apparently a UK official mentioned them. I'm not saying they don't exist or that the Russians don't use them for their own soldiers (unproven), it's the unsubstantiated WAG that they are used to incinerate their enemies I am side-eyeing. It doesn't even really matter to me, Russia like China is a brutal place led by a brutal dictator, I'd put nothing past them at all. I do like to try to stick to facts or at least verifiable rumors as opposed to conspiratorial whispering.
                Last edited by FIREshrink; 02-25-2022, 06:42 AM.

Comment

The cool thing is the left wing media and even the mainstream media are mostly accurate and unbiased…..🙄

Comment

• Originally posted by Antares View Post

The human carnage alone is criminal. But putting that aside, on the topic of educating those born in the US, I think not everyone sees the value to the US of the wise exercise of leadership and power in the world. Of course the vision of our leaders has not been uniformly magisterial. But the institutions and global norms we set up and have sustained since WWII benefit us, economically and politically. It is decidedly not in the best interests of the US to convey that we are willing to abandon those policies that foster the rule of law and the flourishing of international commerce.
                    https://www.yahoo.com/news/garrison-...050142039.html

The US has benefited and has always advocated Freedom vs Oppression. That does not claim perfection, just a goal.

I don’t know if the above clip is “faked” or even a video game. “Give me liberty or give me death” has been planted as a seed in every place in the world. That is not a bad thing.
                    13 men on Snake Island made a choice.
                    RIP.

Comment

• Warmongers in both parties must have a hard on right now. Hopefully the president has the sense to show restraint.

There is lies on both sides Ukrainian president conveniently forgets that nazis attacked ussr not just Ukraine in 1941 and Russian and Ukrainians despite their differences fought together against them
                      Why isn’t he bringing up the communist enforced famine in Ukraine? Maybe his near dear ones were complicit ?

Russia on the other hand is making a bad situation worse by its aggression

China is the only winner in all of this
                      Last edited by nastle; 02-25-2022, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nastle View Post
                        Warmongers in both parties must have a hard on right now. Hopefully the president has the sense to show restraint.

There is lies on both sides Ukrainian president conveniently forgets that nazis attacked ussr not just Ukraine in 1941 and Russian and Ukrainians despite their differences fought together against them

Russia on the other hand is making a bad situation worse by its aggression

China is the only winner in all of this
                        China is always the winner and we are always the loser. It's really demoralizing how we can be so consistently stupid.

Read The Hundred-Year Marathon: China's Secret Strategy to Replace America as the Global Superpower

https://www.amazon.com/Hundred-Year-...ing%20of%20the
                        they've been at this since the 70s, while we were trying to open their markets to make a little money for our corporate interests, they've been plotting to supplant us as the world's lone superpower and too replace American hegemony with their own. It's completely criminal to me that decades of American leaders of both parties have so completely misunderstood Chinese intentions.

Those who share the belief US leadership and culture are incompetent when it comes to long term strategic vision, do you also have most of your stocks, bonds, and real estate in US markets and/or USD denominated assets?

Comment

Those who share the belief US leadership and culture are incompetent when it comes to long term strategic vision, do you also have most of your stocks, bonds, and real estate in US markets and/or USD denominated assets?
                          Incompetence is subjective. It's kind of like grading on a curve when you get a 60 on a test but it still ends up being an A. I think the US is less incompetent than most other places, at least for now. If the world moves away from the USD then it will likely be a very slow transition and not overnight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dont_know_mind View Post
                            Impressive volatility...
                            Yes, fun market times not seen since a couple years ago. I managed to clear my schedule after rounds of cases and post-call to trade today for the opening power hour... couldn't manage for Monday, will be the OR though. Fun stuff.

I am roughly even so far now... getting blasted on the shorts yesterday and today so far after doing very well mid-week. I will stick with it through Monday, though... seems tough for US to keep going up with all the bad news and other world markets dropping. Who knows.
                            I am obviously up on GOOG and others I had sold a couple weeks ago and bought back during down days.
                            Haters will be happy or unhappy to know I missed on some limit orders to buy hundreds of BABA (for 101 and 102 yesterday) with their dip on QE.

Comment

• Originally posted by Max Power View Post
                              Yes, fun market times not seen since a couple years ago. I managed to clear my schedule after rounds of cases and post-call to trade today for the opening power hour... couldn't manage for Monday, will be the OR though. Fun stuff.

I am roughly even so far now... getting blasted on the shorts yesterday and today so far after doing very well mid-week. I will stick with it through Monday, though... seems tough for US to keep going up with all the bad news and other world markets dropping. Who knows.
                              I am obviously up on GOOG and others I had sold a couple weeks ago and bought back during down days.
                              Haters will be happy or unhappy to know I missed on some limit orders to buy hundreds of BABA (for 101 and 102 yesterday) with their dip on QE.
                              Hey, we disagree on some things but I respect the real time updates. Good luck and keep em coming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Max Power View Post
                                I would have guessed the current geopolitical climate would be an excuse for some of the seemingly over priced stocks/industries to come back down but I would have never guessed we’d be where we’re at now after yesterday’s open.

Comment

Working...
                                X