Masterworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masterworks

I recently heard about this app to investment in artwork. interesting, but would anyone use some fun money and invest in it?
    per their website:
    Masterworks is the first platform for buying and selling shares representing an investment in iconic artworks. Build a diversified portfolio of iconic works of art curated by our industry-leading research team. According to Artprice, blue-chip art prices have outpaced the S&P 500 by 180% from 2000–2018. We estimate, based on a Deloitte report, the total value of privately held art to be $1.7 trillion

and

On December 30th, 2021, investors on the Masterworks.io app invested in a $7,428,000 offering of the Banksy painting “Exit Through The Gift Shop.” And in just 3 hours, the offering was sold out. For a good reason. Historically, similar artworks to Banksy’s had an annualized price appreciation of 19.9% (nearly double the S&P 500 from 2007 to 2020). Another Banksy’s artwork, “Love Is In The Bin,” sold for an impressive $25,426,400 in October 2021. Investors who wish to invest in some of Banksy’s artworks can use the $1 billion art investment app Masterworks.io. (Join over 300,000 members today).

how it works: We select the artists Our research team uses our proprietary data to determine which artist markets have the most momentum. We purchase the art Our acquisitions team locates what we believe is a good piece, at a fair price, and we purchase the work. We securitize the artwork We file an offering circular with the Securities and Exchange Commission allowing anyone to invest. We hold the artwork 3-10 years. Wait until we sell the painting to receive your pro rata proceeds, after our fees
    OR Sell shares on the secondary market* You have the option to seek to sell your shares on our secondary market.
    * We cannot assure you that the Secondary Market will provide enough liquidity, a reliable or effective means of monetizing your investment or valuing your shares.

I thought this was interesting.

Originally posted by DollaDollaBillS$$$ View Post
    I recently heard about this app to investment in artwork. interesting, but would anyone use some fun money and invest in it?
    No. I'll give them one thing, they've been spending a lot of money marketing recently.

Comment

Maybe. I probably shouldn't post it here (don't want the competition), but I am waiting for a major crash/recession and keeping an eye on shares in specific art on a secondary market. So when there is a rush on the downside (i.e. proverbial "blood on the streets" per Warren Buffetism), I might consider scooping some shares for a fraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko-ER View Post
        Maybe. I probably shouldn't post it here (don't want the competition), but I am waiting for a major crash/recession and keeping an eye on shares in specific art on a secondary market. So when there is a rush on the downside (i.e. proverbial "blood on the streets" per Warren Buffetism), I might consider scooping some shares for a fraction.
        My guess is that when the stock market cools off, things like this will follow suit.

Comment

I don’t believe in fun money. I think it’s intellectually dishonest to be an indexer who goes for the lowest fees and simultaneously be willing to throw away 5% if your portfolio.

Comment

Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post
            I don’t believe in fun money. I think it’s intellectually dishonest to be an indexer who goes for the lowest fees and simultaneously be willing to throw away 5% if your portfolio.
            My fun money goes to vacation and hobbies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sampter View Post

My fun money goes to vacation and hobbies.
              and the craps table

Comment

My wife collected "Art" . Actually she started college as an art major. Our most significant pieces were displayed with magnets on the refrigerator when the kids were in grade school. No interest. I do have a couple that are worth mid 5 figures, but they were "gifts" from a relative that actually made a good living selling paintings. That was a business with galleries though.

Comment

My daughter was an art major in college. I have a number of originals on the wall. Cost was $150k. I wonder if
                  I’ll make my money back if I sell them?

Comment

Looked into this a little because one of their ads peaked my interest. One thing is for sure, if you invest with them, they are going to collect plenty of fees. 1.5% of investment and 20% of sale profits, plus auction houses will take between 5-25-%. Add it all up and yeah, neat concept but it’s not for me.

Comment

No called strikes. This is one I've let go by. In the words of Warren Buffett "too hard".
                      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Originally posted by TheDangerZone View Post
                        Looked into this a little because one of their ads peaked my interest. One thing is for sure, if you invest with them, they are going to collect plenty of fees. 1.5% of investment and 20% of sale profits, plus auction houses will take between 5-25-%. Add it all up and yeah, neat concept but it’s not for me.
                        WOW! that is a lot of fees! I didn't know they were that bad. its an interesting concept. seems like you can buy a share in just about anything these days.

Comment

Originally posted by DollaDollaBillS$$$ View Post

WOW! that is a lot of fees! I didn't know they were that bad. its an interesting concept. seems like you can buy a share in just about anything these days.
                          I have a plot of land on the moon if you want in?

Comment

I have been collecting art for almost fifty years, beginning early in my residency. Nothing was bought as an investment, just for enjoyment. A few pieces have appreciated impressively. One piece that I purchased for $350 is now selling for over $50,000. Obviously, most other pieces have not appreciated to that extent. Several pieces that I bought for $250 are now worth about $5000. Just a couple of points. Art is very illiquid. You have to find a buyer. Second, galleries usually work on a 100% mark up, so if you do sell to a gallery, they will only do so at a very significant discount.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I have a plot of land on the moon if you want in?
                              Sounds speculative. Value might skyrocket or might crater..

Comment

Working...
                              X