Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's the damage 1-22-22?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Tossed $800 into the Vanguard S&P 500 today. Could have tossed in more, but I suspect further drops ahead, so decided to hold onto some dry powder.

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by Anne View Post
      Reminds me of this scene…https://youtu.be/0k5aVLi_yhM
      Exactly.

      Comment


      • #78
        If people are hurting due to the last 2-3 weeks, shouldn't they have a more conservative AA? Losing money isn't fun but that's part of the deal when you invest to get positive returns and take on that risk. If you're near retirement and not happy seeing all of this money lost, why didn't you learn in March/April 2020 that maybe you should have a more conservative AA?

        I'm doing my first big Roth conversion by end of today. Being paid this week and having determined last year that I'll be doing more Roth 401k contributions rather than pre-tax also makes me happy to be investing during a market correction, assuming the ~10-12% off of highs stays through the week

        **3:50pm update. LOL. Well my IPS says to do Roth conversions when we're 10%+ down. We might not even end down today! My roth conversions are effective as of the end of day. Wasn't able to send in the paperwork over email yet so I guess I'm not doing this today. *Hopefully* tomorrow the S&P will be in correction territory so I can do this*
        Last edited by JBME; 01-24-2022, 12:52 PM.

        Comment


        • #79
          My holdings continue to decline...but I sold $1200 worth of covered calls on AMD/TQQQ for friday. So theres that.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by bovie View Post

            I think there is a difference between internally recognizing that an extended stock market depression may be good for younger investors (such as myself) in the long term, and proactively cheering for it like it's a football game.

            Yes, of course, it's part of the market and it will always cycle. But there is real money attached, especially for the older and wiser among us, with real effects.

            Poor form.
            Nah that is bull. (pun intended)

            Investing is a single player game. Nothing I do effects anyone else. I am not some cruel person who would gloat over down on rough times but on an anonymous forum with many people in the same position I feel like I can make a joke. Even those it might hurt on here probably will not be hurt too bad because they prepared for it.

            I have heard the phrase "get on your knees and pray for a bear" more than once. Don't be so touchy.

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

              Nah that is bull. (pun intended)

              Investing is a single player game. Nothing I do effects anyone else. I am not some cruel person who would gloat over down on rough times but on an anonymous forum with many people in the same position I feel like I can make a joke. Even those it might hurt on here probably will not be hurt too bad because they prepared for it.

              I have heard the phrase "get on your knees and pray for a bear" more than once. Don't be so touchy.
              Not saying that what you do affects anyone else, or that investing is anything other than a one-player game, and certainly not that the older and wiser around here are unprepared for a drawdown. None of those are the case, of course.

              To put a finer point on it, what I am saying is the mere fact that you expressed the sentiment at all--but especially and specifically in the way you did--just makes you sound like a bit of a callow clown.

              Perhaps you hang around WSB as well? Not a lot of finesse there either.

              And I'm definitely one of the least touchy people around here--that's not the issue, so I hope you haven't misattributed my point, because I actually agree, in general, with the sentiment you expressed.

              I just call 'em like I see 'em, that's all.

              The issue is your comportment, which you attribute to the setting of an anonymous internet forum--which of course is its own issue, but a topic for another day I suppose.

              Comment


              • #82
                S&P 500 finishes up for the day. The market goes down, the market goes up. Yawn. I’ll just keep putting in money every two weeks on payday.

                Comment


                • #83
                  I have learned not to look during corrections. What good will it do me? I won’t like what I see and it will bother me. The price of making money in the market is enduring the downturns. I’ll look when it’s up again and I won’t do a thing in the meantime.
                  My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by HikingDO View Post
                    S&P 500 finishes up for the day. The market goes down, the market goes up. Yawn. I’ll just keep putting in money every two weeks on payday.
                    You can thank me for that. Every time I try to buy the dip, I miss it.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      45/25/35 Stocks/BondsCash/Direct RE. Overall down ~3%. Haven't calculated the RE portion, but not seeing any decreases in my area. On the other hand my income from rents should increase ~15% this year. Inflation is a landlord's friend. And no, my long term tenants will not get a 15% increase, more like 7%, but a few turnovers renting at significantly more juice the returns.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by bovie View Post

                        Not saying that what you do affects anyone else, or that investing is anything other than a one-player game, and certainly not that the older and wiser around here are unprepared for a drawdown. None of those are the case, of course.

                        To put a finer point on it, what I am saying is the mere fact that you expressed the sentiment at all--but especially and specifically in the way you did--just makes you sound like a bit of a callow clown.

                        Perhaps you hang around WSB as well? Not a lot of finesse there either.

                        And I'm definitely one of the least touchy people around here--that's not the issue, so I hope you haven't misattributed my point, because I actually agree, in general, with the sentiment you expressed.

                        I just call 'em like I see 'em, that's all.

                        The issue is your comportment, which you attribute to the setting of an anonymous internet forum--which of course is its own issue, but a topic for another day I suppose.
                        Got it. Don't worry I am Not upset. I hope you aren't and nobody else for that matter. But the correction is over so moot point.

                        I will cheer in my head next time.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by bovie View Post

                          Not saying that what you do affects anyone else, or that investing is anything other than a one-player game, and certainly not that the older and wiser around here are unprepared for a drawdown. None of those are the case, of course.

                          To put a finer point on it, what I am saying is the mere fact that you expressed the sentiment at all--but especially and specifically in the way you did--just makes you sound like a bit of a callow clown.

                          Perhaps you hang around WSB as well? Not a lot of finesse there either.

                          And I'm definitely one of the least touchy people around here--that's not the issue, so I hope you haven't misattributed my point, because I actually agree, in general, with the sentiment you expressed.

                          I just call 'em like I see 'em, that's all.

                          The issue is your comportment, which you attribute to the setting of an anonymous internet forum--which of course is its own issue, but a topic for another day I suppose.
                          So in one post you tell someone they sound like a clown, imply they associate with WSB as a derogatory characteristic, and also have an “issue.” Yet you yourself are not easily offended (in fact, one of the very least sensitive people here) and just a truth whisperer. Got it.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            dead cat bounce? 🐈 who knows. I kinda expect some more. Who knows?

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              I did get lucky and executed my BD roth conversion from my TIRA this week at the bottom of the current dip. I didn’t give the timing much thought. Just did it when my bonus hit. Fluctuations aside it still seems to me there will be downward pressure until people are back to work more consistently, especially in manufacturing and shipping. So I would not be surprised to see the market more down than up this year.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

                                That is fine with me. Please inform Mr Market
                                Mister Market heard your plea. The more you want, the more likely Mister Market does the opposite. My wife tells me “you jinxed it” whim I start rooting. Virtually everything closed up.
                                https://www.cnbc.com/us-markets/
                                I try not to even think positive thoughts. That dude is a mind reader.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X