No announcement yet.

what's the damage 1-22-22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I update my portfolio returns quarterly, so not sure how much I'm down, but I have only Spx & Ndx ETFs, with 20% of those being 2x etf versions. 80/20 portfolio.

So probably down 10-15% overall.

Comment

Down a little over 6% off of highs. Almost $3 million. This is a correction that is long overdue and has a long way to go. Tune out the news, stop doing Monte Carlos.

Comment

I’m waiting to hear from Nysoz how much the options trading has buffered his TSLA/TQQQ portfolio that would otherwise be down 20-30%

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

The problem is a tendency to follow the “smart money”.. This includes the members here,WCI, blogs, and respected authors.
          “But I’m now in my 70s and more interested in financial survival, which is why today I keep at least 20 years of living expenses in bonds and cash investments.”
          This was in an article about risk assessment. Taken alone as a rule of thumb, that means the goal is enough bonds/cash to last until one is 90 years old is the IPS. Conflicting goals, putting money to work vs risk. It is easy to write this goal, but much harder plot the course. It is very easy in hindsight for those that have “won the game and stopped playing”.
          https://humbledollar.com/2022/01/a-day-to-remember/
          William Bernstein.
          Yes, everyone would love to have cash/bonds to last until 90. Few will achieve that goal by 70. By definition, you have to have won the game to not have a behavioral conflict. Too much risk or not enough! There is a huge gap between SORR (3-5 years ) and cash/bonds until 90. Risk tolerance is the problem, of course. It is not necessarily market timing. Conflicting goals as well. Most can’t have both.
          I don’t fault anyone for holding cash if it keeps them on a plan. Appreciate all you have done. And your recent postings. Food for thought.
          Risk tolerance dictates the amount of sleeping money, thanks for the link

Comment

Originally posted by agentcontrast View Post
            OK! So look at your total investments with any cash and post your loss/gain since 1-1-22. Please include your total asset allocation(Stocks:bonds/cash) including emergency cash and number of individual stocks if any. Interested to see if anyone actually had any gains in this environment.

Total market. -8.5%
            500 -7.8%
            Haven’t looked!

Comment

Originally posted by abds View Post
              I’m waiting to hear from Nysoz how much the options trading has buffered his TSLA/TQQQ portfolio that would otherwise be down 20-30%
              My overall portfolio is down around 19%. I have increased my cash balance with sold options by 1/5 of that. It's overall down more than it should because I've made a leveraged bet for TSLA earnings this week. We'll see what happens!

Comment

I normally review things biannually. Make a point of not peeking during downfalls. Sometimes I peek when the market is on a tear though…. just for fun. Will divert all excess cash toward the taxable account and away from paying off the house, if the market starts dropping for reals (>20%+).

Comment

Down -3.96% YTD. Portfolio currently 52/43/5 (Stocks, Bonds, Cash) and includes 6% REITS (VGSLX, as part of equity allocation). Already did 1/4 of my annual Roth conversion, and will accelerate that if correction continues. Otherwise sitting tight.

Comment

Haven’t looked but sure to be down at leas 10%. Today (1/24/22) is even worse.

Comment

The stock market does weird things to people. If you want to see an entire community who has a difficult time facing reality, check out r/amcstock.

Comment

I just looked at TQQQ and it's down about 40% in 2022. Yikes.

Comment

If you do not passively invest, do you benchmark your portfolio versus the various indices? How have you done historically?
                          Most investors do not nor care so advisors can continue raping their clients monetarly(most, not all)

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                            The stock market does weird things to people. If you want to see an entire community who has a difficult time facing reality, check out r/amcstock.
                            https://www.reddit.com/r/GME/comment...l_their_gonna/
                            I would expect short selling becomes a popular topic. The day trading hustlers tout how to make money in up AND down markets.

I refrain from looking at down markets. The percentages don’t bother me at all. It is the amount that triggers a call for action. It is a good thing I don’t act. I resist financial advice from film directors.

Comment

Sorry for those further down the road but I am loving this. Burn baby burn. And stay down this time! Come back up in the 2030s.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                                Sorry for those further down the road but I am loving this. Burn baby burn. And stay down this time! Come back up in the 2030s.
                                For such a nice guy, I am surprised how mean spirited nice people can be. Reminds me of The Godfather. Just think of how many of your patients will suffer. Yada , yada yada.

Comment

Working...
                                X