No announcement yet.

what's the damage 1-22-22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I’m still down in 15-20 years then I’ll be upset.

Comment

Be careful not to obsess over several weeks of returns. I’m down 5% YTD on stocks and bonds. It is hard to tell where I am on my direct real estate holdings, but likely up modestly. But frankly I’d be quite happy with a down year in the market. We have been riding a wave for 10-12 years and I’d welcome the opportunity to accumulate some cheaper shares.

Comment

I don't lose any of my covered calls this cycle

Comment

You are only down if you sell low. No panic selling here.

I bought a little. If it keeps dropping, I will TLH and do some Roth conversions.

I have a cash bucket that I have been building to retire in the next few years (cash bucket = my antidote for SORR) and worst case I use the cash bucket for expenses / emergencies / to buy more stock index funds on sale.

Anyhow, I know that is not the point of your post.

You were just making conversation but I guess my point is it is irrelevant.

It could get ugly or not. Crystal ball cloudy as usual.

More interested in NFL playoffs. Sorry to see patriots lose last week but this week has some great games.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
            If I’m still down in 15-20 years then I’ll be upset.
            Roger that!

Comment

Originally posted by Special Delivery View Post

I might consider 100% cash a reasonable position during a period of significant deflation. I don't think we're experiencing deflation right now. Even then, I'm pretty bullish and don't hold more cash than I need to cover 3-6 months of expenses. Cash doesn't get me any benefit from employer matches, or tax advantages... that's a hard sell.

Are you expecting a period of deflation?
              Nope, just actively trading and right now nothing to buy. I could be 100% invested next week if the setups are right.

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
                I bought 100 shares of tesla at 1004.50
                I Sold 2 puts on AMD with strike of 136 with expiry on 1/21 - which were obviously the option was taken
                I sold 1 put on TQQQ at 65.5 with expiry on 1/21 - option taken
                I bought 100 shares of TQQQ yesterday at 59.20

I invested 40k into my first i401k on 12/22 - down 16.39%
                I invested in my first Roth IRA around that same time - down 11.65%

Kill me.
                Thought you had a pretty significant student loan burden? Probably not wise to play around with options and stock picking until those are out of the way, or with money you can’t afford to be losing.

Comment

Close to 7 %

Comment

How can one be up 4.3% in 22 days on a 100% cash position?

Are you using the same wind we're using? Inconceivable

Comment

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post

He's in cash today. He's trading securities around all the time. Sometimes he comes out ahead, like the last 3 weeks. Sometimes he comes out behind, like last year when he underperformed the market by 15%. Over time, especially after-tax and costs and when he calculates out the value of his time, he's highly unlikely to come out ahead. But there are certainly going to be times when he does well.
                      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post

Perhaps short for a period and now on the sidelines.

I have no idea and will not know until the end of the month when I do my regular net worth update. Small value and International not down as much as US large cap. Emerging markets up slightly ytd.

itot (TSM) down 6.4%
                        ijs (SCV) down 4.1%
                        iefa (developed international) down 2.4%
                        iemg (emerging markets) up 1.2%

Comment

Originally posted by TheDangerZone View Post

Thought you had a pretty significant student loan burden? Probably not wise to play around with options and stock picking until those are out of the way, or with money you can’t afford to be losing.
                          I had 100k earmarked for loans so far to bolus when the forebearance was over, then this evolved to, maybe i can get a better return on the money and take all my excess savings and put it in taxable and then refinance my loans and in 5 years see where my taxable acct was hoping to double my cash and then sell half and pay off the remainder of my loans.

I dunno if its the right idea but only time will tell.

Comment

Down by 1.4% for the whole portfolio ( 40% RE , 29% cash and bonds) equities down by 4%

If markets go down further by 10% , will start putting cash to work

Comment

Originally posted by fire2026 View Post
                              Down by 1.4% for the whole portfolio ( 40% RE , 29% cash and bonds) equities down by 4%

And if they don't?

Comment

Originally posted by fire2026 View Post

I'm going to put cash to work next month whether markets go down 10%, up 10%, or do nothing. Am I the only one earning and saving every month? Why do so many people feel the need to hold money out of the market? Are you afraid they're the last dollars you'll ever earn or something? Chances are that right now is the best chance you'll have the rest of your life to get prices like these. If not today, almost surely that day is within the next few weeks or months. All those people that held cash in April, May, then June 2020? We'll probably never get back to those prices. I've "bought high" many times but you know what? Now most of those times look an awful lot like buying low.
                                Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X