what's the damage 1-22-22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the damage 1-22-22?

OK! So look at your total investments with any cash and post your loss/gain since 1-1-22. Please include your total asset allocation(Stocks:bonds/cash) including emergency cash and number of individual stocks if any. Interested to see if anyone actually had any gains in this environment.

Total market. -8.5%
    500 -7.8%

Is this going to turn into a crypto thread or what

Comment

Lots of red out there no doubt. You know what seems to be holding up really well this month? My real estate debt funds. Too bad they're only 5% of my portfolio! I bonds and cash also winners.

I just updated my spreadsheet last night though, so I can actually answer your question. Retirement assets are down 4.3% and total investment (not house, not business) assets are down 3.3%.

Retirement portfolio is 60/20/20 stocks/bonds/real estate. Any cash there is purely incidental. No individual stocks and I can't tell emergency cash from the other cash.
      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I only check quarterly.

In general value is holding up. I'm heavily value tilted. My VFVA is down maybe 3-5% from all time highs compared to the Russell 2000 which is growth heavy and down 20%.

In general real estate is holding up. Inflation helps with that.

I like diversity.

Comment

Originally posted by The White Coat Investor View Post
          Lots of red out there no doubt. You know what seems to be holding up really well this month? My real estate debt funds. Too bad they're only 5% of my portfolio! I bonds and cash also winners.

I just updated my spreadsheet last night though, so I can actually answer your question. Retirement assets are down 4.3% and total investment (not house, not business) assets are down 3.3%.

Retirement portfolio is 60/20/20 stocks/bonds/real estate. Any cash there is purely incidental. No individual stocks and I can't tell emergency cash from the other cash.
          Your portfolio seems pretty insulated Jim. Good job! I also put in 40k into I bonds for what its worth in context. Are you holding steady in muni's?
          Do you know what you up in 2021?

Comment

I only update my account balance sheet quarterly. Happy with what I saw as of 12/31. Happy to be doing Roth 401k contributions this month. Depending on the upcoming week I may do an in-plan roth conversion

Comment

Originally posted by agentcontrast View Post

Your portfolio seems pretty insulated Jim. Good job! I also put in 40k into I bonds for what its worth in context. Are you holding steady in muni's?
              Do you know what you up in 2021?
              Yes, I own the Vanguard muni fund as part of my 10% nominal bond allocation (the rest is in the TSP G fund.) I'm definitely "holding steady". Interestingly, almost every tax lot I own of that fund is sitting on a loss. I could actually tax loss harvest it. It's a not a big loss (about 1% of what I have in the fund) but there's a lot of red there when I look at its cost basis.

Last year my retirement assets made 24% and my total investment assets were up 34%. The difference is total investment assets includes an HSA, 529s, UTMAs, kids' Roths (all of those prior accounts invested aggressively), a savings account, and most importantly a few very risky, very illiquid small business investments that tend to goose the return significantly.
              Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Portfolio is -9.91% since the first of the year.

Stocks 87% (Lg 44% Md 25% Sm 17%)
                REIT 12%
                Int/Cash <1%

Comment

I bought 100 shares of tesla at 1004.50
                  I Sold 2 puts on AMD with strike of 136 with expiry on 1/21 - which were obviously the option was taken
                  I sold 1 put on TQQQ at 65.5 with expiry on 1/21 - option taken
                  I bought 100 shares of TQQQ yesterday at 59.20

I invested 40k into my first i401k on 12/22 - down 16.39%
                  I invested in my first Roth IRA around that same time - down 11.65%

Kill me.

Comment

Portfolio up 4.3% since 1/1/22. 100% cash right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Vae Victis View Post
                      Portfolio up 4.3% since 1/1/22. 100% cash right now.
                      I don't really consider that a portfolio. How did you do between 1/1/20 and 12/31/21?

Comment

Originally posted by Special Delivery View Post

I don't really consider that a portfolio. How did you do between 1/1/20 and 12/31/21?
                        I underperformed the S&P last year in my first full year of trading - described in the TA thread I opened a few days ago. Closed the year up 10% if you stop at 12/31/21. If you include through today, I'm quite near par with the SP500.

I understand it's not your preferred allocation, but you don't consider cash a position?

Comment

I underperformed the S&P last year in my first full year of trading - described in the TA thread I opened a few days ago. Closed the year up 10% if you stop at 12/31/21. If you include through today, I'm quite near par with the SP500.

I understand it's not your preferred allocation, but you don't consider cash a position?
                          Cash is a position. 100% cash is not a portfolio.

Comment

OK! So look at your total investments with any cash and post your loss/gain since 1-1-22. Please include your total asset allocation(Stocks:bonds/cash) including emergency cash and number of individual stocks if any. Interested to see if anyone actually had any gains in this environment.

If you are comfortable with your portfolio, this is a great time to read a book and stop trying to day to day manage a portfolio. I have not looked since 12/31/21 when I did my end of year excel spread sheet. I know it is down, and that is the reason I do not look, because every time I do, my thought process says this is a good time to do this or that, which almost invariably was a good idea at the time and on retrospect a bad idea.

Comment

I might consider 100% cash a reasonable position during a period of significant deflation. I don't think we're experiencing deflation right now. Even then, I'm pretty bullish and don't hold more cash than I need to cover 3-6 months of expenses. Cash doesn't get me any benefit from employer matches, or tax advantages... that's a hard sell.

Are you expecting a period of deflation?

Comment

Working...
                              X