Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crypto do you invest in this?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Crypto do you invest in this?

    Lordosis style poll:

    How much do you invest in Cryptocurrency or stable coins etc.?
    67
    None
    71.64%
    48
    < 5% of my AA, just enough to have some exposure and prevent FOMO.
    22.39%
    15
    5-10%
    1.49%
    1
    10-20%
    0%
    0
    20-40%
    1.49%
    1
    >40% of my AA. Go big or go home.
    2.99%
    2

  • #2
    <5%. Probably need an option for >10%.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have not done any crypto. I do not understand it. I tried a little to figure it out but I have failed to understand it so far.

      I also have not done any RE syndycations or private RE deals.

      I am invested in the following:
      1. stock and bond index funds
      2. Cash bucket (for EF and SORR)
      3. Own my house (no mortgage) (my only realestate).

      Although boring it has worked so far.

      If you invest in crypto, what are you buying? How did you evaluate it?

      Why did you buy? Fear of missing out (FOMO) or do you really think it is a good long term investment?

      How did you decide on the percentage you purchased? Are you holding for the long term or is it speculative?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
        <5%. Probably need an option for >10%.
        yes, sorry, I was editing it and goofed and click enter so it had only those two options when you saw it! You were fast! Sorry, fixed, My fault. Thanks!

        Comment


        • #5
          Interesting. I would have guessed at least a few folks invested >5%. Makes me feel like the consensus is that it is a lottery ticket.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have around 1% in crypto. I've bought BTC and ETH to hold.

            For me, it's a speculative asset class and I plan to hold and earn interest on it unless something materially changes.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Nysoz View Post
              I have around 1% in crypto. I've bought BTC and ETH to hold.

              For me, it's a speculative asset class and I plan to hold and earn interest on it unless something materially changes.
              I have a similar approach, pure speculation and can afford to lose all the money if it doesn't work out.

              Comment


              • #8
                Did you see this?
                https://forum.whitecoatinvestor.com/...cryptocurrency

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by childay View Post
                  oh, sorry, yes, i saw but forgot about it. Sorry for the repetitive post.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    5% of total AA—half BTC, half ETH.

                    The two biggest, were there early, and also the only two that I think may have any possible semblance of value beyond the purely speculative don’t-get-caught-holding-the-bag-at-the-end.

                    Purely speculative regardless though, but I’m not ready to completely write it off either, so I’m fine with 5%.

                    I guess you could call it FOMO. Can do anything with 5% if the other 95% is solid.

                    Honestly not sure what to make of it. The whole fan-boy mob is ridiculous and drives me nuts though.

                    If it goes to zero, it goes to zero. No harm done.

                    If it takes off, I’ll still be there for the ride.

                    Worked great so far. Time will tell.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bovie View Post
                      5% of total AA—half BTC, half ETH.

                      The two biggest, were there early, and also the only two that I think may have any possible semblance of value beyond the purely speculative don’t-get-caught-holding-the-bag-at-the-end.

                      Purely speculative regardless though, but I’m not ready to completely write it off either, so I’m fine with 5%.

                      I guess you could call it FOMO. Can do anything with 5% if the other 95% is solid.

                      Honestly not sure what to make of it. The whole fan-boy mob is ridiculous and drives me nuts though.

                      If it goes to zero, it goes to zero. No harm done.

                      If it takes off, I’ll still be there for the ride.

                      Worked great so far. Time will tell.
                      Yes, this makes a lot of sense.

                      I suppose if I had purchased a long time ago and it had grown to 5% of AA I would feel comfortable holding and watching.

                      I guess the reason for me making this poll was just to get an idea of the WCI forum participants and not only IF they owned but how much as a % of AA.

                      I don't do Realestate (not yet, not other than my paid off house), I don't pick stocks and I don't understand crypto.

                      I am just a dumb doc who cannot play for the NBA or NFL nor can I do math like some kid at MIT.

                      This poll actually makes me feel better about my strategy.

                      Boring old two-step investment life: step 1: work and make $, Step 2: put it in index funds.

                      If you do this long enough and/or aggressive enough then it is a boring simple win.

                      It is like playing very good defense, stopping the run, rushing the passer & on offense running the ball and throwing play action short passes to the slot receiver, tight ends, and running backs out of the backfield.

                      It is boring but it moves the ball and if executed with short accurate passing (Brady, Montana, Stabler) it is a winning plan.

                      Win in the trenches. Move the ball. Avoid dumb mistakes. Avoid turnovers & dumb penalties.

                      Anyway, I appreciate everyone giving me feedback.

                      For the one person (as of now) who voted that >40% of AA is in crypto I hope you really understand it and/or bought it a long time ago.

                      With the obvious exception of me, there are a lot of smart people on this forum. The fact that you are the lone ranger should at least make you blink.
                      Last edited by Tangler; 01-20-2022, 03:50 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Nysoz View Post
                        I have around 1% in crypto. I've bought BTC and ETH to hold.

                        For me, it's a speculative asset class and I plan to hold and earn interest on it unless something materially changes.
                        1% seems more sensible.
                        5% seems a bit crazy if you ask me.

                        Say you have 3M net worth. 5% is 150k.
                        Which I think a lot of people would feel if it vapourised.
                        I lost 5% of NW once in a speculative investment.
                        I thought I could afford it, until it went, and then owch!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have looked at BITO which is bitcoin futures but not bought it. I also opened an account at coinbase but have not funded it. I guess I do not understand it either. I fear I am in fact missing out.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Hatton View Post
                            I have looked at BITO which is bitcoin futures but not bought it. I also opened an account at coinbase but have not funded it. I guess I do not understand it either. I fear I am in fact missing out.
                            Hatton,
                            I remember asking you a few years ago (?2018) about whether you wanted to buy some bitcoin to relive the internet bubble and you said you didn't double bubble.
                            Seriously though, I can't understand crypto either.
                            If I had to guess, I'd say it's a ponzi rather than a bubble, but that's so odd, it's more likely that I just don't understand it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dont_know_mind View Post

                              Hatton,
                              I remember asking you a few years ago (?2018) about whether you wanted to buy some bitcoin to relive the internet bubble and you said you didn't double bubble.
                              Seriously though, I can't understand crypto either.
                              If I had to guess, I'd say it's a ponzi rather than a bubble, but that's so odd, it's more likely that I just don't understand it.
                              There are definitely a lot of cryptos that are basically ponzi schemes but there are a handful of cryptos that are trying to solve various problems. Now, NFTs are basically the wild wild west with regards to grifters and pump & dumps.

                              One of the more interesting things about bitcoin is that its creator, Satoshi Nakamoto (who nobody knows who that is), has never tried to move any bitcoins out of their personal wallet. They have over 1M bitcoins worth over $40B at today's prices. Who knows, maybe they died a long time ago, but I don't think bitcoin was created as a ponzi. If so, it's an awful ponzi scheme.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X