Best Software for Managing Multiple Accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Software for Managing Multiple Accounts

I have multiple accounts (401k with Principal, RothIRA and Taxable with Vanguard) and am interested in getting software to manage/view all my accounts in one place.

Any recommendations?

5 Things You Didn't Know Personal Capital Can Do For You - Physician on FIRE

Comment

PC, Mint, most brokerages allow outside accounts to add - fidelity does it nicely and get run 'what if' scenarios more robust than PC.

Then there's quicken software too.

Comment

I hate to be tied to some online aggregator or a brokerage that might modify its software or I might switch brokerages and so on.

Better to have one on your PC and get it to download from everywhere. Another vote for Quicken. I have had that since 1990 or so, from its MS-DOS days.

Comment

I use Mint but that’s more for spending data. I use an Excel spreadsheet that can be easily updated for our portfolio.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post
            I hate to be tied to some online aggregator or a brokerage that might modify its software or I might switch brokerages and so on.

Better to have one on your PC and get it to download from everywhere. Another vote for Quicken. I have had that since 1990 or so, from its MS-DOS days.
            +1

Comment

Excel FTW.

As long as you can write a few equations, not only will it keep track of everything retrospectively but it will give you an intimate understanding of how everything is calculated and the ramifications of any changes, prospectively. Very useful.

My file is way more complicated than it needs to be with various sheets, but it lets me nerd out and tinker and flex the math muscles in analysis, instead of with my investments themselves.

It's also the most customizable option, by definition.

Comment

Personal capital to aggregate totals for holdings, Google Sheets to compare actual allocation vs ideal allocation and to suggest an account to buy or sell.

Comment

Does any one know if Personal capital advisors or any individual in that company have access to your individual transactions . I think( not sure ) that they have access to number of accounts and amounts in those accounts ? I had the complimentary discussion before saying no, to avoid future calls .

Comment

PC w/ 2 step verification

Comment

I used to use Quicken but then changed to Moneydance. It is OK software and does the job of letting me track my asset allocation. Still do not like the idea of having my info online. I realize it seems secure, but I have reason to change to PC at this point.

I think moneydance is going subscription only next year since they have to go through a third party now to get access to the brokerages as OFX servers are being phased out. Maybe then I will take a look at PC.

Comment

I used Vanguard's aggregator for several years but later closed that account. Around that time I changed to Fidelity (I think it is called Full View). There were some differences in how the 2 aggregators broke things down. Generally EM vs developed markets or small vs mid vs large. Took larger moves to rebalance at that time due to the differences in the aggregators. Fidelity worked well the past 2 years however my Merrill Edge accounts stopped updating last month. It stated this was a temporary problem and there was nothing I needed to do and this persisted when I checked 3 times over the past month. I deleted and reloaded the account and same problem. Called Fidelity today but that department was closed. Called Merrill and they checked a few things but could not see any problems on their end. I then created an account with Personal Capital which had had no trouble pulling in the Merrill data. Once again however my accounts are more out of balance than usual due to changing aggregators. In particular, my EM was significantly higher than plan. In reviewing the details it appears that VFWSX (Vanguard Ex-US Index) contains approximately 4% emerging markets by Fidelity but is approximately 21% by Personal Capital. Has anyone noticed significant differences between aggregators?

Comment

I primarily use Fidelity.
                          The balance and performance flexibility and data if much more than I would load and maintain on a spread,sheet.
                          Multiple accounts, groups of accounts, multiple time periods frequency, multiple benchmark indexes as well as personal returns and Std deviations, and the details available for the changes in the balances. And he nice graph.
                          The Summary, Positions, Balances, Activities & Orders, Planning and Performance sections are very robust and you can hop over to Morningstar if you wish.
                          I do use Personal Capital but very infrequently.
                          The weakness is any accounts on Net Benefits is restricted by the owner's social security number at login. Might be a problem for husband and wife.
                          Additional weakness is the phone app is much less robust than the online access.

The data collection and options are much more robust than I would ever maintain on any other system or PC.

Comment

I'm currently vetting the same software packages.

Quicken is not bad and does what it says it does.

Personal Capital - Equally as good but every day I have to authenticate various banks with their 2FA - kind of annoying.

Also in the process of transferring most of my assets to Fidelity and Full View isn't bad either.

Comment

Working...
                            X