Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: How much did your net worth increase in 2021?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
    It is crazy that I'm in the bottom 20%. In real life I save more than anybody else I know but here I barely scratch the surface of what others are saving.

To be fair most of you are saving more than my annual salary!
    The devil is in the details. Earned income.
    For example, that bonus you got for the child tax credit, did you actually save it!
    You certainly earned it! That alone dwarfs my “earned income”. Don’t be discouraged. Race strategy, keep your pace. You are only on the back straight of the first lap, 1.5 laps to go. Keep it up and you will medal for sure. Bronze, silver or gold is the question. No one is out working you. Perspective is important. Reel em in on the 2nd lap and finish strong.
    https://youtu.be/5LHid-nC45k
    The race is not over.

Comment

Remember only 60+ responded to this poll. Also ages are not tracked. It is interesting. Will we revisit this in a down year? Remember the more money you have the easier it is to make another million. Several posters have eye-popping net worths.

Comment

Originally posted by SLC OB View Post

I specifically pulled out real estate... In May 2021, the net worth on our home (per Zillow and comps selling in our area) was 4.5x what we paid for it... which as WAY too high. It is now only 2.8x. That was not a loss... as the 4.5x was ridiculously high and we did not want to move to realize the gain (tried to convince my husband to move from our almost 5000 sq ft house to my mom's 2 bedroom condo... just to sell the big house. He said it was a better investment not to get a divorce. Smart man). The 2.8x is more realistic but who knows if it will stay this high.

So I specifically pulled out our home from the gains.
        I like this strategy. I also didn't add real estate that I'm holding only the property I sold. In general when I'm considering my total net worth I count what I believe the houses are worth in a reasonable market less any mortgages.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post
          Saved X, increased 5X. Makes you wonder what the point of working is.

Say...
          Why didn't you add the amount of "X"? Its not like we know you and might be sniffing around for a loan.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
            Remember only 60+ responded to this poll. Also ages are not tracked. It is interesting. Will we revisit this in a down year? Remember the more money you have the easier it is to make another million. Several posters have eye-popping net worths.
            There's certainly a selection bias here. It's like going to a Ferrari forum and asking people to post pictures of their cars. You'd think everyone in the world has a Ferrari.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

There's certainly a selection bias here. It's like going to a Ferrari forum and asking people to post pictures of their cars. You'd think everyone in the world has a Ferrari.
              FLP or EMD?

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
                I feel like I had a pathetic year compared to everyone else because the first number in front of the two commas didn’t change for most of the year.
                Nice flex - balance so big need 8 figs to change number...

Comment

Savings from salary - 300k
                  Market gains 1.2 mil - the magic of compounding, I really dont feel like I did anything special or out of the ordinary

Comment

Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post

Why didn't you add the amount of "X"? Its not like we know you and might be sniffing around for a loan.
                    This formulation is the same as saying 20% is from savings, which answered one part of the original question.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Sorry, I thought 'M' stood for monkeys. Somehow, I ended the year with 6 monkeys. Anyone need a monkey?
                      According to the Barenaked Ladies, you can buy a monkey with a million dollars:
                      “If I had a million dollars (If I had a million dollars)
                      Well I'd buy you a monkey
                      Haven't you always wanted a monkey?”

I love that song!

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
                        This is where using % increase would normalize the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewangski1 View Post

One percentage helps. This actually is a standard financial analysis. Price, mix, volume. All three contribute and it is measurable.
                          How much the value changed.
                          How the components changed.
                          How much the components changed.

Comment

Silly poll based on absolute dollars without accounting for percent your NW increased this past year.

I was up 23% this past year. Pleased with that given the mix in my portfolio at age 57. The dollar amount increased is staggering to me with a portfolio just at 8 figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewangski1 View Post

I nominate Lordosis to make the poll

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchel674 View Post
                                Silly poll based on absolute dollars without accounting for percent your NW increased this past year.

I was up 23% this past year. Pleased with that given the mix in my portfolio at age 57. The dollar amount increased is staggering to me with a portfolio just at 8 figures.
                                Might be more accurate across ages but won't be as entertaining as seeing some one jump from 35M to 45M. Would be a boring, low post thread.

Would also not take into account how much was an increase from existing savings and how much from new money added in the past year that made the % increase.

Comment

Working...
                                X