Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: How much did your net worth increase in 2021?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by childay View Post
    Alas I have not managed to monetize my polls
    Shhhh, you will give WCI ideas. That will be the end of the polls.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

Shhhh, you will give WCI ideas. That will be the end of the polls.
      He'll give me a cut I'm sure! 1099 income FTW

Comment

Originally posted by The White Coat Investor View Post
        Seriously biased sample here! Nobody in the $0-200K range? Who are these people?
        PT life!

Comment

It is crazy that I'm in the bottom 20%. In real life I save more than anybody else I know but here I barely scratch the surface of what others are saving.

To be fair most of you are saving more than my annual salary!

Comment

I keep like 3 spreadsheets but I guess I’m negligent because I never have recorded my net worth very diligently. I just have a vague idea of where it was at certain points. My New Years resolution will be to record it every month when I update everything at the first of the month. I feel like I had a pathetic year compared to everyone else because the first number in front of the two commas didn’t change for most of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post
              Who are the two 5M+ so far? Wonder if it was anything different than having large portfolios and market returns.
              Sorry, I thought 'M' stood for monkeys. Somehow, I ended the year with 6 monkeys. Anyone need a monkey?

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                It is crazy that I'm in the bottom 20%. In real life I save more than anybody else I know but here I barely scratch the surface of what others are saving.

Better to be the professional at the end of the bench than the star of the rec league.

Comment

How are people up so many multiple of annual earnings??
                  I thought we did well in 2021, but wow

Comment

I'm just jealous... I'm in the $500,000-$1,000,000 range.
                    $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

According to PC, $487k. About half of that was from selling a condo and a signing bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

This year we saved more than our combined income in each of my first 4 years post residency (I'm 6.5 years out) so I hear you! But I've always said, it's just a competition against yourself, not anyone else. You know you're doing just fine!

Comment

Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post

I sold a rental property but am generally in the $100,000 range. I also wonder if people are counting an increase in real estate value which is like the market not a true gain in my opinion until sold. It's easy to look like a freaking genius when the markets are hot.
                          I specifically pulled out real estate... In May 2021, the net worth on our home (per Zillow and comps selling in our area) was 4.5x what we paid for it... which as WAY too high. It is now only 2.8x. That was not a loss... as the 4.5x was ridiculously high and we did not want to move to realize the gain (tried to convince my husband to move from our almost 5000 sq ft house to my mom's 2 bedroom condo... just to sell the big house. He said it was a better investment not to get a divorce. Smart man). The 2.8x is more realistic but who knows if it will stay this high.

So I specifically pulled out our home from the gains.

Comment

Just barely in the $500k-$1M range, mostly due to house value appreciation. We have no intention of selling, but since I counted its value in the net worth thread I did here also to be consistent. About 40% was from savings+investment gains, which equaled out to about 2 years of anticipated retirement living expenses. Still not at the point where yearly market gains exceed my contributions, even in this crazy market. Waiting patiently to reach critical mass.

Comment

Saved X, increased 5X. Makes you wonder what the point of working is.

Say...

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post
                                Saved X, increased 5X. Makes you wonder what the point of working is.

Say...
                                That’s the tipping point. Once your portfolio gains outpace your work salary/savings, and it just snowballs from there.

Work slowly starts to become optional as the portfolio keeps getting bigger, faster than your normal spend.

Comment

Working...
                                X