TD Ameritrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD Ameritrade

What are people’s opinions of using TD Ameritrade?
    Whenever I see or hear WCI recommendations for brokerages it’s usually Vanguard, Fidelity, or Schwab. I already have a few accounts held at TDA but I’m considering firing my financial advisor and I was wondering if it would be worthwhile trying to consolidate in one of the other 3 brokerages or just bring my other accounts over to TDA.

Most of my accounts are at Fidelity but I do have one retirement account with TDA. While I prefer the Fidelity on-line access I've never had any problems with TDA. Schwab now owns TDA but I don't what changes are planned if any. For brokerage services, I think any of these 3 are fine but I might avoid VG. There have been several threads that have complained about VG customer service and you can buy any of the VG ETFs commission free from the other brokerages.

Comment

I have a small taxable account at TDA. If you're just doing the standard total US/total international/some bond fund portfolio, any of the major brokerages work. TDA has thinkorswim, which is what many people who trade options reference.

I also have accounts at etrade, Fidelity and Vanguard. They're all ok. I've never had to call Vanguard, but that's because I've only purchased VTI/VTSAX from there.(Etrade and Fidelity's customer service have both been helpful, but are somewhat luck of the draw on who answers at the other end).

Comment

TD Ameritrade brokerage has been bought out by Schwab

Comment

I am a fan of TD. Have had an account since it was Datek. Solid customer service. One can invest instantly after ACH. I also have Schwab (which I like) but can't invest until the ACH clears after a few days. It's also great for trading with the thinkorswim (not the regular) app. I have been happy with both TD and CS.

Comment

Originally posted by chucki View Post
            I am a fan of TD. Have had an account since it was Datek..
            I used to be with mydiscountbroker.com since the late 1990's and a year after TD acquired Datek it bought out mydiscountbroker in 2003. Then it got bought out by TD to become TDAmertitrade and now Schwab has bought it. And I have had an account with Charles Schwab since 1988. So I have come a full circle with these 2 companies.

Comment

Its fine

Comment

With Fidelity, all accounts > $1m gets you private client access. Different phone support, an assigned advisor and potentially free TurboTax. It recognizes you from your phone and voice. Different service model than the main CS number. Email support as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  With Fidelity, all accounts > $1m gets you private client access. Different phone support, an assigned advisor and potentially free TurboTax. It recognizes you from your phone and voice. Different service model than the main CS number. Email support as well.
                  My local Schwab manager insisted on having one of his financial advisors assigned to me if I needed him. I think basic services are free. If you want more in depth help I think it is an initial $300, and $30 per month free. I also have his email and phone number in case I need him.

As far as free Turbotax, I don't think I want to be doing my taxes. It is too complicated and my CPA has been doing a good job for a decent fee.

Comment

Working...
                  X