Percentage of international stocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Percentage of international stocks

As I plan to move from target to 3 funds , wanted to ask you all the percentage of international stocks in your portfolio ?

I am leaning towards not more than 20, please advise . Thanks

I just split 50/50. Easy that way. You could just run market cap with VT and not worry about it at all

Comment

You can check appropriate target funds to see their weights, which I think are around 30%. I personally am 10%. 0-35% seems like the range.

Comment

Zero. The revenue/profits or whatever metric you choose to use generated internationally by my portfolio of legacy individual stocks and mostly index ETFs is my international position. Almost retired with little incentive to add an international fund.

Comment

S&P 500 generates about 40% of profits outside of the U.S. The tandem movements of Internationals (lagging) has been obvious for decades. If you want to bet on currency fluctuations ( market timing) then internationals are your thing. To answer your question 2-3% of my portfolio, mostly by chance

Comment

Zero.

There have been many threads on this topic before; search for them to get more insight.

Comment

100% US = cough mmphhh cough recency bias IMO. What’s wrong with market cap weighting all stocks, not just US? You are not buying the haystack if you are only holding US.
              Last edited by ShredtheGnar; 11-29-2021, 06:30 PM.

Comment

This is asked often. Several posts here.

0-50% is what most suggested in the pastZ

I am 25 %
                Last edited by Tangler; 11-30-2021, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks all, I will check the posts , was looking at some posts on Bogleheads, it seemed to me the general opinion was against too much international

anyway, it seems like they move in tandem

Comment

30-40%

Comment

20-30% of the total retirement portfolio is international. As with the US-centric portion of the portfolio, I have a small+value tilt. To do that, I am basically using small developed value (ticker DLS) and small dividend emerging markets (EWX). Both have done better than the entire market equivalents, basically VEA and VWO for developed and emerging, respectively. It's about a 10-15% tilt in a 20-30% so about 2-3% of the total portfolio, so pretty close to a rounding error.

Comment

Bear in mind that the sector weights of US and international can differ. e.g. US is more tech heavy, EU less so. Therefore if you have a weighting that is different than a global market-cap weighting you are implicitly over- or under-weighting different sectors.

If you want a real rabbit hole - there have been endless threads about their different historical performances on bogleheads and whether there will be a "reversion to the mean"

Comment

35% international 65% US.

Why 35%? Because it's between 20-50% which is what VG recommends.

Comment

Zero

Comment

I can’t really understand the argument that you don’t need to own international because 40% of SP500 revenues are from overseas. You could say that about most country indexes, e.g Japan,UK, Singapore. Ie most country indexes have multinational companies domiciled on their stock exchanges and “generate income from overseas”.

Comment

Working...
                              X