Inflation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bovie View Post

Idiocy isn't unique to the "opposition party" you continue to reference, nor to that which you support. Plenty of idiocy to go around.
    i'm in favor of ridiculing, humiliating, and voting out of office anyone who is in favor of a self inflicted recession. any party that encourages this behavior is hard to take seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by triad View Post

if the US defaulted on the debt that would lead to an immediate recession.
      Not to mention the psychological & real world impact it would have on the world stage.
      T-bills & T-notes would no longer be considered "the safest investment in the world."
      Dollar would lose value (and I mean real value, not the apocryphal 'Fed go brrrr' meme).
      Geopolitically, world power would shift even faster to China than it currently seems to be doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by triad View Post

i'm in favor of ridiculing, humiliating, and voting out of office anyone who is in favor of a self inflicted recession. any party that encourages this behavior is hard to take seriously.
        Sounds like you need a different forum to work your issues out in.

Comment

• Originally posted by bovie View Post

Sounds like you need a different forum to work your issues out in.
          sure dude. if you understood the consequences of a default you would have a different opinion. If you are interested in learning more about this PM me and I'll send you some links. defaulting on the debt is nothing we should mess around with.

Comment

• Not getting better.

Comment

• Originally posted by YogiMD View Post
              I wonder if with inflation at all times high and the interest rates low, would still make sense the traditional allocation of "your age in bonds", or the bond allocation portion should change in any way? My main concern is that bonds yield will fall behind inflation too much. Any thoughts?
              If I was a young doc I would be close to 100% stocks.

I am 48 and 90:10.

After (if/ when) rates rise bond yields “might” make sense.

I would consider I-bonds + VTI and VXUS if young with a lot of human capital.

You (as a young doc) and like a big bond.

Comment

• Is this inflation really that bad? Or is just emotionally bad? As an old person, I remember my parent's having to take out a 30 year fix with 15%+ in the 70's. They were anxious but continued work(as did the vast majority of able bodied 'mericans did) and paid that monthly nut. They survived. So will everyone of today, unless there is something TRULY different about this time or about this cohort of earners?

Comment

• Originally posted by burritos View Post
                  Is this inflation really that bad? Or is just emotionally bad? As an old person, I remember my parent's having to take out a 30 year fix with 15%+ in the 70's. They were anxious but continued work(as did the vast majority of able bodied 'mericans did) and paid that monthly nut. They survived. So will everyone of today, unless there is something TRULY different about this time or about this cohort of earners?
                  As others have said, I don't think it is bad for most docs. We have a high income and the WCI forum members are great savers who have a steady high income.

I think the people who suffer are the poor. The single mom. The business owner trying to pay for gas and supplies etc.

It really hurts the poor, the lower middle class and business owners IMO.

Comment

• this inflation is good for us bc we own assets and those get inflated too which more than makes up for the increased cost of living. it really sucks if you dont own assets

Comment

• Originally posted by Tangler View Post

You (as a young doc) and like a big bond.
                      I like big bonds and I cannot lie. You other docs can’t deny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tangler View Post

As others have said, I don't think it is bad for most docs. We have a high income and the WCI forum members are great savers who have a steady high income.

I think the people who suffer are the poor. The single mom. The business owner trying to pay for gas and supplies etc.

It really hurts the poor, the lower middle class and business owners IMO.
                        Seeking fairness and equity is laudable, even at the notional level. But are the bottom 50 or 10% worse off than the bottom 50/10% 20, 40 or 60 years ago? Apologies for sounding like Marie A's "let them eat cake". But do we want a hierarchy? Would the world be better off if everyone was able to have the material/fiscal means of the average WCI forum poster? 250 million people going to Hawaii for summer vacation? I think that would really drive inflation at least in Hawaii. But then who would serve the tourists the loco moco and shaved ice since they'd all be fire'd?

Comment

Is this inflation really that bad? Or is just emotionally bad? As an old person, I remember my parent's having to take out a 30 year fix with 15%+ in the 70's. They were anxious but continued work(as did the vast majority of able bodied 'mericans did) and paid that monthly nut. They survived. So will everyone of today, unless there is something TRULY different about this time or about this cohort of earners?
                          There is a difference between mortgage rates and inflation. A mortgage is fixable and fixed, there is no escaping inflation. Mortgage rates impact very few individually. Only if you need a new mortgage and a segment of the home building industry. Inflation impacts 100% of the population.
                          The wealth and income disparities are different. The "haves vs. the "have not's" is drastically different. That has a multiplier impact.

That said, mortgage rates are still incredibly low. Not so inflation. The devil is the inflation. Most here couldn't give a hoot about mortgage rates.

https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/h...ortgage-rates/
                          https://advisor.visualcapitalist.com...ast-100-years/

Comment

• savings account interest rates weren't zero in the 70s. Getting 10% savings interest was common. Now there is no way to invest to maintain purchasing power without taking a lot more risk than was the case back then

Comment

The absolute lowest portion of the CPI is healthcare aka our income.

Comment

I feel it everyday and I think it is really bad . May be I don’t earn enough or may be it’s my mindset . May be I am bitter as I failed to buy a house .
                                I hate inflation and don’t like paying this much for goods and services . Yes, We will survive ! But just venting out that I don’t like it at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X