Fidelity 529 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fidelity 529 questions

I will be moving all my investments to fidelity to access everything easily from one place. I currently have 529 plans for my children with merrill edge and I want to move this to fidelity. I live in California. Fidelity offers 529 plans through a few different states. AZ, DE, MA, NH. Is there one state that is better then the other? Does it matter which one I choose? Is it pretty easy to transfer a 529 plan from merrill edge to fidelity?
    Thank you

I use the NH one and its great.

Cant speak on ease of transferring from merril edge.

Comment

Two kids have already graduated but I used the NH version and was happy with it. Fidelity should be able to pull 529 from ME.

Comment

To my knowledge. the only difference between Fidelity's AZ, CT, DE, MA and NH 529 plans are the tax account maximums*:
        • AZ = $519K
        • CT = $300K
        • DE = $350K
        • MA = $500K
        • NH = $542K
        *The account maximum is a contribution maximum for all accounts under that plan for the same beneficiary. The account balance can continue to grow, but contributions are not allowed when the account balance is >= the account maximum. Plans do periodically adjust their account maximums based on tuition costs.

As I happen to live in NH, I started using Fidelity's NH 529 (Unique) plan for my girls as soon as it was available (1998). If I lived in CA and wanted a Fidelity 529 plan, I would probably use the AZ plan.

I understand your desire for simplicity and Fidelity's 529 plans are in the top tier of low cost plans provided you use index funds. However, I wouldn't overlook your own state's ScholarShare 529 plan. The last time I checked, it was the lowest cost nationwide 529 plan.

Comment

Working...
        X