Who done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who done it?

Okay who made a large equity purchase last week?

I actually scored this time. I moved most of my year's charitable contributions out of stocks a little over a week ago into my DAF. Nice timing that.
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I was hoping for a poll. Either way, I need more days like today. The only market timing I do is convert some pre-tax money over to Roth when there is a correction. We're only 5% off highs, so I need another 5% before I do my "market timing."

Comment

One thing is as sure as the sun rising: any time the market goes down, it will be AFTER I make a large equity purchase. It's a good thing I don't try to market time, as I'd never succeed at it!

Comment

I de-leveraged/de-risked quite a bit over the past few weeks from some speculative holdings, for various reasons. I have been adding to VTI recently, but not very large lump sumps.

So I guess I will take partial credit for it.
          Last edited by xraygoggles; 09-20-2021, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Just wondering, how does a large purchase of equities cause a drop of the stock market a week later.. wouldn't selling a bunch of stock cause the market to drop?

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
              Just wondering, how does a large purchase of equities cause a drop of the stock market a week later.. wouldn't selling a bunch of stock cause the market to drop?
              the whole premise here is to be sarcastic. your logic is correct....there just seems to be a tendency if you're a market timer that once you buy, the market drops. certainly one individual buying or selling doesn't alone impact the entire market

Comment

Maybe time to TLH tomorrow again if I have time at work

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
                  The whole point of the joke is that a single investor isn't going to move the market (in either direction) unless he's Warren Buffett. None of us are buying enough shares to cause a price rise, or selling enough to trigger a price drop, which is why so often when we do either, the opposite of the expected result (rather then the Warren Buffett result) occurs.

Comment

Put round 2 of my solo401k in last week ($9500) into swstx ( the Schwab total market index). You can thank me now

Comment

You ain’t seen nothin’ yet. Just wait. We are so, so overdue for a painful market correction. And those of you who get excited by the buying opportunity of a dip will be made to feel the pain as well. Those quick dips with a rapid rebound are history. Just sayin’…

Comment

Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post
                        You ain’t seen nothin’ yet. Just wait. We are so, so overdue for a painful market correction. And those of you who get excited by the buying opportunity of a dip will be made to feel the pain as well. Those quick dips with a rapid rebound are history. Just sayin’…
                        If you are in the market long enough, eventually you feel buyers remorse. One point missed in these discussions is everyone here is a market timer. 100% equity or 50% equity is timing based on your life. SORR is timing. The market is independent of the participants. From a market perspective, stay invested.

Comment

Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post
                          Are they, though? You think the government is going to let the market drop 50% and then let it stay there? I don’t.

I also don’t think it’ll drop 50% but we probably need a 25-30% correction. I wish they’d just leave it alone if that happens but they’ve got elections to think about (and their own portfolios).

Comment

too bad many of you guys didn’t jump on the btc bandwagon with me. so many awesome buying opportunities these past few months!
                            “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Are they, though? You think the government is going to let the market drop 50% and then let it stay there? I don’t.

I also don’t think it’ll drop 50% but we probably need a 25-30% correction. I wish they’d just leave it alone if that happens but they’ve got elections to think about (and their own portfolios).
                              I agree with both this and wbd’s statement. Basically I have no clue and don’t pretend that I do. Which is why I invest on autopilot as I have every month since 2003 (for retirement accounts) and 2005 (for taxable account) and don’t worry about buying dips/highs/crashes/whatever

Comment

Working...
                              X