Altcoins, DeFi thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doc Spouse View Post

Lol, I'm a big fan of the alts. 99.9 of them are garbage, but I love playing with them regardless. These are my top 3 at the moment:

GALA - Gala Games. It's blockchain gaming, which works for me. I've been a huge fan of these guys for over a year. By far my biggest win in crypto since I got in at around .006 and now they're holding pretty steady in the mid .40's. Still plenty of room to run and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go much higher over the next five years or so. I've made a buttload on their NFT's as well. These guys are legit. CEO is one of the co-founders of Myspace and Zynga and he's making all the right moves. War chest in the billions just from last year's revenue. You WILL hear about these guys sooner or later.

ILV - Illuvium. Backed by quite a few of the same players as Solana. It's another blockchain gaming company (notice the trend, yet?). Got in around $400 because I slept on this one too long. With the defi ties it has, I expect big things even without the AAA gameplay that's been teased. I'm getting a decent return just on staking.

SPS - Splinterlands. This one is on Hive, so it's a bit tougher to get, but you can buy/sell it on Gate.io. Right now is actually an awesome time to pick some up in my opinion (not financial advice). Splinterlands is probably one of the largest card blockchain games in existence. Over a million player accounts, and I've seen my humble four to low-five investment in their NFT's 20-30x over the last year. SPS is their token that was recently launched and is integral to their future plans. It went up past $1 recently with the release of the Chaos Legion decks, but has now fallen to around .20. They have a TON of things that they're rolling out this year that SPS will be absolutely required for. I've been getting airdropped SPS due to some of my current Splinterlands NFT's and approaching six figures worth. I'm still buying more. Take from that what you will.

The rest of my stuff is primarily just flipping, NFT's, utility tokens like GRT (The Graph).

As I mentioned earlier, you'll notice there's a gaming trend here. Why am I so bullish on gaming? Because blockchain has been looking for utility for a long time, and we are finally seeing some solid, profitable, and most importantly, fun Play 2 Earn games. This isn't test case stuff, these companies are actually using the various chains to marry NFT utility with games, and people are coming to them in droves. I do believe that the gaming industry will be one of the first mainstream industries to see a major disruption by blockchain. I actually own my game items now. I buy them, I play with them, and then I sell them, usually for a great profit. This will change gaming and I think it'll only be a matter of time before we see more main publishers jumping on board (Ubisoft is already doing so).

Okay, getting off the soapbox. :P Do your own research, but there's some really great alt's out there that have performed incredibly well. Just gotta dig through the rubbish.

Edit: Clarified a few things.

Thanks for the alpha. ILV has been nice to me as well. How long are you staking for? What are your thoughts on the tokenomics and future price action of Gala? Per CG, their available supply is 7.5B, but total supply is 36.5B....so more coins, more price go down? Or am i missing something big?

Nice downward action happening now. Are people taking any new positions? or adding? I'm trying to keep focused on ETH.

Comment

• Be prepared for incoming bear market potentially. Especially if Btc keeps tanking into the 30s, rest of market will follow. In fact, so far ETH is holding up amazingly well, and is down less than BTC compared to their ATHs. There may be pain forthcoming...

Comment

• Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post
        Be prepared for incoming bear market potentially. Especially if Btc keeps tanking into the 30s, rest of market will follow. In fact, so far ETH is holding up amazingly well, and is down less than BTC compared to their ATHs. There may be pain forthcoming...
        @RemindMe_OfThis in 3 months

or would you like to be more specific ?

Comment

• Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post

@RemindMe_OfThis in 3 months

or would you like to be more specific ?
          Not really - I rely on other crypto degens on Twitter to tell me, based on their rigorous scientific analysis via randomly drawing parallel lines on a graph, when to buy & sell.

What could possibly go wrong?

Comment

Be prepared for incoming bear market potentially. Especially if Btc keeps tanking into the 30s, rest of market will follow. In fact, so far ETH is holding up amazingly well, and is down less than BTC compared to their ATHs. There may be pain forthcoming...
            Crypto winter is in full swing. If it follows the same pattern as other years, there will be slight bumps (and chances to make some money) but otherwise a slow decline for the next few months.

Of course, anything can happen and I'd love to be wrong. Could see BTC at 100k by March. Who knows?
            I should have been a pair of ragged claws. Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomato14 View Post

Thanks for the alpha. ILV has been nice to me as well. How long are you staking for? What are your thoughts on the tokenomics and future price action of Gala? Per CG, their available supply is 7.5B, but total supply is 36.5B....so more coins, more price go down? Or am i missing something big?

Nice downward action happening now. Are people taking any new positions? or adding? I'm trying to keep focused on ETH.

For ILV, I've been collecting rewards (and therefore establishing a cost basis) when the market spikes. Takes a year to fully vest ILV rewards and it still stakes while vesting so I'm treating it as I would rolling CD's. The only real control I have is when I can collect, so I'm trying to time it as high as I can. Right now, for example, I'm leaving it alone. :P

GALA is an interesting one. I'm probably more emotionally invested than I should be to speak in a non-biased manner, but it's made me a ton of money so I have fond feelings for it. Here's my thinking:

These days, I'm all about crypto utility. GALA is being set up as a utility/transactional token. For example, if you want a Gala node, you need to use GALA. The same goes for many of the games that Gala Games is coming out with. Each of those games will have their own token (TOWN and SPIDER for example), but GALA will be the glue that holds them together. If you want to go from TOWN to ETH, it's possible right now via UNISWAP. When Gala Chain launches (Gala's own blockchain which should be going live in the next few months), then GALA "should" remain the only ERC-20 token with the rest of the game tokens living on Gala Chain. You'll need Gala to swap at that point.

Also, Gala Games has been brilliant in how they're forcing utility with GALA. TownStar (the game) has a setup where certain NFT's, if used in your town, allow you to collect TOWN each night that you complete an in-game challenge. In order to place a NFT in game, however; you need a certain amount of GALA or TOWN in your account. It's sort of like staking.

So if you have 10 NFT's that will collect you 2,000 TOWN per night, you need lvl 10 in Gala power. Which equates to roughly 25k GALA needed in your wallet. I would expect them to do this in every game, thereby increasing the importance of holding GALA.

As I mentioned before, the Gala Games team has been impressing the heck out of me from a business standpoint. They've got multiple full-time economists employed who are responsible for long-term tokenomics. Came back from a Gala Games convention a few weeks ago in Vegas where they announced game partnerships with AMC (Walking Dead Empires), Will Wright (VoxVerse), Peter Molyneux (Legacy), and Certain Affinity (Last Expedition). All of those will add utility to GALA token in one way or the other.

TLDR: I'm still bullish on them. It's going to be a long hold, but I'm still accumulating. Can't wait to see where they are in five years.

Edit: 25k Gala for lvl 10, not 50. Full list of Gala power levels here: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...77FF30DE03.jpg
              Last edited by Doc Spouse; 01-08-2022, 03:13 PM.
              I should have been a pair of ragged claws. Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

Comment

Could see BTC at 100k by March. Who knows?
                No. I know.

Comment

No. I know.
                  That's a good skill to have. :P

Comment

For ILV, I've been collecting rewards (and therefore establishing a cost basis) when the market spikes. Takes a year to fully vest ILV rewards and it still stakes while vesting so I'm treating it as I would rolling CD's. The only real control I have is when I can collect, so I'm trying to time it as high as I can. Right now, for example, I'm leaving it alone. :P
                    Aren’t you being penalized on collecting those rewards early? Like the exchange loss of ILV to sILV and also penalty of rewarding before your set stake period ends? …..and then taxes on the STCG. 😱
                    I’m staked for a year (end 9/2022). Will likely get rekt by VC vesting before then. ☹️ Here’s hoping ETH and ILV 🚀 in Aug/Sept. 🤞🏻

Comment

• Originally posted by tomato14 View Post

Aren’t you being penalized on collecting those rewards early? Like the exchange loss of ILV to sILV and also penalty of rewarding before your set stake period ends? …..and then taxes on the STCG. 😱
                      I’m staked for a year (end 9/2022). Will likely get rekt by VC vesting before then. ☹️ Here’s hoping ETH and ILV 🚀 in Aug/Sept. 🤞🏻
                      I'm leaving it as ILV (locked), just starting the 1-year clock.

So my ILV staked earns "roughly" around 1 ILV every month. I save them in the rewards pool until the price spikes and then "claim" the rewards. Doing so doesn't convert it over to sILV, but it does start the 1-year clock on when I can access the ILV. Right now I have about four batches of ILV that are getting unlocked at various periods over the next year. I plan on continuing to do that whenever the price spikes and I can at least make the argument, that my basis should be determined at that point.

Yeah, VC's are an issue (for Gala as well). My thought is that if they believe in the project long term, they likely won't dump hard core until the price makes more sense. Not saying we won't see some cashing out, but I doubt it'll be a wholesale dump.

Comment

Crypto winter is in full swing. If it follows the same pattern as other years, there will be slight bumps (and chances to make some money) but otherwise a slow decline for the next few months.

Of course, anything can happen and I'd love to be wrong. Could see BTC at 100k by March. Who knows?
                        It’s interesting there’s crypto winters. Last one started January 2018, so 4 years ago I believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by chocolatebear11 View Post

It’s interesting there’s crypto winters. Last one started January 2018, so 4 years ago I believe.
                          The only thing is every cycle, there's more maturity of the market, more money in the market, which means both lower highs (aka no blow off top this cycle) and higher lows (during a bear).

So for ex, I don't expect btc to drop more than 20-25k minimum, which would be around 65-70% drop from ATH. Every other coin has higher beta than btc, so they may go down more, but not as much as prior cycles.

Or I could be dead wrong and everything gets rekt, Saylor resigns in shame, et al.

Comment

• Someone in real life was telling me about the coin magic. I could not understand why it was better or different than the others. But he got in early and made a killing so that is cool.

Comment

The only thing is every cycle, there's more maturity of the market, more money in the market, which means both lower highs (aka no blow off top this cycle) and higher lows (during a bear).

So for ex, I don't expect btc to drop more than 20-25k minimum, which would be around 65-70% drop from ATH. Every other coin has higher beta than btc, so they may go down more, but not as much as prior cycles.

Or I could be dead wrong and everything gets rekt, Saylor resigns in shame, et al.
                              I think everyone will agree it’s hard to know what will come.

every year, bigger players in crypto market like Ray dalio and other fund managers.

They may hold like 0.5% of their fund in BTC and 99.5% of their fund in TradFi markets. But, when one thing changes in the fund, the whole fund profile changes. For example, volatility spikes and increases market risk: They reduce overall position size across the board. So, they sell BTC. If its in the growth bucket and the fund gets bearish on growth, they reduce exposure to the growth assets, they dump BTC. The logic is inverted for buying and its not based on some guys opinion, its based on portfolio theory or some alternative quant formula for portfolio construction.

basically, even with institutional players, seems like there can be argument that big moves can still be seen in crypto like previous years.

but what do we know.

Comment

• Originally posted by chocolatebear11 View Post

I think everyone will agree it’s hard to know what will come.

every year, bigger players in crypto market like Ray dalio and other fund managers.

They may hold like 0.5% of their fund in BTC and 99.5% of their fund in TradFi markets. But, when one thing changes in the fund, the whole fund profile changes. For example, volatility spikes and increases market risk: They reduce overall position size across the board. So, they sell BTC. If its in the growth bucket and the fund gets bearish on growth, they reduce exposure to the growth assets, they dump BTC. The logic is inverted for buying and its not based on some guys opinion, its based on portfolio theory or some alternative quant formula for portfolio construction.

basically, even with institutional players, seems like there can be argument that big moves can still be seen in crypto like previous years.

but what do we know.
                                That's interesting if that's how their quant models work. But even if that's the case, having a larger market cap than last cycle means it's that much harder to move the price up or down. So vol decreases in general.

Comment

Working...
                                X