X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Ragman
    replied
    Originally posted by Peds View Post

There are definitely times one can run out of partners....
    Many ways to skin a cat but that seems like too much tax loss harvesting to me. I’m good with once per bear market.

Leave a comment:

• CFEonline
    replied
    Originally posted by Peds View Post

Who said all of those count?
    It's in the tutorial from WCI, #2 under "The Bottom Line": "# 2 Beware the wash-sale rules. You can't buy back what you just sold in any investing account (including your spouse's) for 30 days. No, you can't buy more shares just before you sell them either. That 30 days goes both forward and backward."

I would be glad to know if that has been proven to be false, however.

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied
    Originally posted by CFEonline View Post
    Would that also include automatic dividend reinvestments in our old accounts we are no longer actively contributing to?
    Yes. Dividends are buy events.

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied
    As I understand it using a fund that you or your spouse is investing in automatically in another account would cause a wash sale. That ends up being a large number of the vanguard total US and total international funds and equivalents across our separate 401ks, backdoor roths, and HSA, which all have different available options.
    Who said all of those count?

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied
    Originally posted by Larry Ragman View Post
    Why would you need to TLH outside of Vanguard if you start there? Vanguard has many perfectly reasonable TLH partner pairs.
    There are definitely times one can run out of partners....

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied
    Is ETF more tax efficient for taxable account? I know vanguard mutual funds share that tax efficiency, but with tax loss harvesting partners would likely be buying non vanguard funds as well.
    yes

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Any purchase of the same fund you just sold within the 30 days would create a wash sale. You could also just keep your other contributions in cash and then purchase after the required period. If you want to TLH then I would not set automatic reinvestment of dividends.

Leave a comment:

• CFEonline
    replied
    Would that also include automatic dividend reinvestments in our old accounts we are no longer actively contributing to?

Leave a comment:

• CFEonline
    replied
    As I understand it using a fund that you or your spouse is investing in automatically in another account would cause a wash sale. That ends up being a large number of the vanguard total US and total international funds and equivalents across our separate 401ks, backdoor roths, and HSA, which all have different available options.

Leave a comment:

• Larry Ragman
    replied
    Why would you need to TLH outside of Vanguard if you start there? Vanguard has many perfectly reasonable TLH partner pairs.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/ETFs_vs_mutual_funds

Leave a comment:

• CFEonline
    started a topic ETF vs Mutual Funds for Taxable?

ETF vs Mutual Funds for Taxable?

Is ETF more tax efficient for taxable account? I know vanguard mutual funds share that tax efficiency, but with tax loss harvesting partners would likely be buying non vanguard funds as well.
Working...
X