This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDangerZone View Post

We've been over this, if you were getting these types of returns for the last 6-7 years, you'd be well in to the 8 figures by now. Last time your response was well you really haven't been doing it very long with most of your portfolio. Now you're once again saying you've owned them for "years." Which is it? The math doesn't add up.

Furthermore, getting good returns during the longest bull market in history is not really anything special. Most of us are investing for the long term. 30, 40, 50+ years through many bulls and bears. Active investing has never been able to see itself through thick and thin. Your inability to acknowledge this continues to be astounding.
    You do realize the government limits how much one can contribute annually to tax advantaged accounts. You're kinda making my point as early on I had significant traditional index fund investments which I saw year over year underperforming the non-traditional funds, weaned over time and finally fully divested this year, hence one of my best for overall YTD portfolio returns.

Factoring in all my accumulated investments, yes I'm comfortably 8 figures mid-career. Having been thru many bulls and bears already.

Comment

Originally posted by EntrepreneurMD View Post

Jaco knows I've owned most of them for years now. I've repeatedly challenged anyone here to find any fund, PASSIVE or ACTIVE, with a 10 year return (long term) better than my largest holding (currently showing 37.5%), which he also knows I first purchased in 2014. No takers. I was hoping to get some hits so I can consider them.
      You've been repeatedly challenged to document your mutual fund/ETF purchases in real time.

Put up or shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post

You've been repeatedly challenged to document your mutual fund/ETF purchases in real time.

Put up or shut up.
        Okay sold 1012.726 of FSMEX on 12/8. Posted the last roundtrip (sell/buy) trade as well in October.

Comment

Okay sold 1012.726 of FSMEX on 12/8. Posted the last roundtrip (sell/buy) trade as well in October.
          That’s around $76k worth of capital. Did you exchange into anything else?

Comment

Which 3 funds in retirement accounts, and in what relative proportions? 1/3, 1/3, 1/3? I'd be new to the pure indexing thing. Assume I stay aggressive, no bonds in tax advantaged for AA.
            if no bonds in tax advantaged then just two funds, vanguard total US and total INTL with INTL between 20-50% of equities. I go with 2/3 US 1/3 INTL in tax deferred accounts

Comment

Thanks for asking. My first kid is in the scholarship application process. I was pleasantly surprised by how much funding is available in the form of merit based grants to the desired private university. I didn't see that coming at all. One more scholarship to apply for, which could mean a free 4 year ride. We'll see what happens with the next kid, and grad school.
              Absolutely ridiculous to to brag or humble brag on your kid in this conversation. I am not going to bite on throwing shade on a child. I really wish her the very best, sincerely.
              It is one thing to be proud and another to claim your child's success is in some way your achievement. Most can simply say they are grateful for opportunities that come their way. No child is the same.

Comment

Important to remember that actively managed funds do on average (survivorship bias here ofc) do beat their indexes (bench marking bias ofc) on average, its the all important, "after fees and taxes" line that is important.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post

That’s around $76k worth of capital. Did you exchange into anything else?
                  Not yet. Kinda thinking there may be some more profit taking and tax loss harvesting later in the month. Looking for any small advantage to enhance returns.

It was an underperformer for me, despite it's returns.

Comment

Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post

if no bonds in tax advantaged then just two funds, vanguard total US and total INTL with INTL between 20-50% of equities. I go with 2/3 US 1/3 INTL in tax deferred accounts
                    So on December 31 I will see how their 1 year performance fared relative to my portfolio. Then I will see how they fare on a regular basis January 2021 and if either or both outperform any of my funds I will consider coming full circle with indexing.

Comment

So on December 31 I will see how their 1 year performance fared relative to my portfolio. Then I will see how they fare on a regular basis January 2021 and if either or both outperform any of my funds I will consider coming full circle with indexing.
                      apples to oranges.

past performance is not a guarantee of future returns

Comment

apples to oranges.

past performance is not a guarantee of future returns
                        Case in point. It's all about confidence in your investment strategy. In reality it's apples to apples - neither investment is guaranteed by past performance.

Or are they apples to oranges because my portfolio has significantly and consistently outperformed your picks for a long, long time?

For full disclosure: You've invested in triple leveraged funds. I have not. No hypocrisy please.

Unapologetically, strategic active investing has worked better than indexing for me for a long time. Doesn't mean I have anything against indexing. It means I do have something for the health of my returns in accelerating FI and, if necessary, RE.

Comment

Case in point. It's all about confidence in your investment strategy. In reality it's apples to apples - neither investment is guaranteed by past performance.

Or are they apples to oranges because my portfolio has significantly and consistently outperformed your picks for a long, long time?

For full disclosure: You've invested in triple leveraged funds. I have not. No hypocrisy please.

Unapologetically, strategic active investing has worked better than indexing for me for a long time. Doesn't mean I have anything against indexing. It means I do have something for the health of my returns in accelerating FI and, if necessary, RE.
                          where is the hypocrisy? Quote me please where I told you what to invest in, until yesterday you asked

I didn’t have the stomach for the hedgefundie portfolio. I was DCAing into it in my solo k but lasted about 6 weeks and gave it up and went back to market index funds

again, my problem with you is not your investment choices. I could care less. It’s the arrogance, obfuscation, and denigration of the index approach.

Comment

where is the hypocrisy? Quote me please where I told you what to invest in, until yesterday you asked

I didn’t have the stomach for the hedgefundie portfolio. I was DCAing into it in my solo k but lasted about 6 weeks and gave it up and went back to market index funds

again, my problem with you is not your investment choices. I could care less. It’s the arrogance, obfuscation, and denigration of the index approach.
                            I very specifically asked you in another thread months ago and you very specifically answered UPRO and TMF. Sounds like obfuscation here to me, convenient excuse on the hedgefundie thing. You didn't do well with it and went back to indexing, so why can't I give up indexing and go to my outperformers which you clearly know have done better this year (again) that's why you call them apples and oranges? To the contrary, I made it quite clear that my retirement portfolio has significantly outperformed indexing (this year and longer) even after fees, taxes and cash drag. Your denial of what you know is true you call obfuscation - your issue not mine. Your problem with me is inconsequential as is my problem with your hypocrisy, intolerance of the active fund approach, nor does worrying about your problems help my investments. I'm here to figure out how to enhance my returns, not babysit a temper tantrum.

This was what I said in a concurrent thread:

"I know there are others here that have done laps around me nothing unique here, just a different approach with an APPRECIATION that we are all different. Wherever we go our character may be defined by how we treat the 1% that aren't like the rest of us. Respect the differences or disdain for the differences? Even if it is just about approach to finances. I respect traditional indexing, but also realize that some of us don't want a ceiling, which comes with a higher risk tolerance."

Maybe you should heed this for those of us that invest in active funds, triple leverage (which you're trying to hide), real estate, a DaVinci, or would like to give everything away and live as a robed hermit in the desert. You don't get to decide what I do, nor would I let you switch out my apples for oranges when you know the apples have done far better. Have you ever considered that some of us may want a thread about the apples, the delicious ones anyway? You don't need to eat my apples, nor do I your oranges. Move on and chat with those who like oranges. From what I see here, many who like apples are bullied off the site. You prefer hi-five's and a pat on the back over an exchange of ideas - oranges only even if they're bitter, no apples no matter how sweet they may be.

Comment

I very specifically asked you in another thread months ago and you very specifically answered UPRO and TMF. Sounds like obfuscation here to me, convenient excuse on the hedgefundie thing. You didn't do well with it and went back to indexing, so why can't I give up indexing and go to my outperformers which you clearly know have done better this year (again) that's why you call them apples and oranges? To the contrary, I made it quite clear that my retirement portfolio has significantly outperformed indexing (this year and longer) even after fees, taxes and cash drag. Your denial of what you know is true you call obfuscation - your issue not mine. Your problem with me is inconsequential as is my problem with your hypocrisy, intolerance of the active fund approach, nor does worrying about your problems help my investments. I'm here to figure out how to enhance my returns, not babysit a temper tantrum.

This was what I said in a concurrent thread:

"I know there are others here that have done laps around me nothing unique here, just a different approach with an APPRECIATION that we are all different. Wherever we go our character may be defined by how we treat the 1% that aren't like the rest of us. Respect the differences or disdain for the differences? Even if it is just about approach to finances. I respect traditional indexing, but also realize that some of us don't want a ceiling, which comes with a higher risk tolerance."

Maybe you should heed this for those of us that invest in active funds, triple leverage (which you're trying to hide), real estate, a DaVinci, or would like to give everything away and live as a robed hermit in the desert. You don't get to decide what I do, nor would I let you switch out my apples for oranges when you know the apples have done far better. Have you ever considered that some of us may want a thread about the apples, the delicious ones anyway? You don't need to eat my apples, nor do I your oranges. Move on and chat with those who like oranges. From what I see here, many who like apples are bullied off the site. You prefer hi-five's and a pat on the back over an exchange of ideas - oranges only even if they're bitter, no apples no matter how sweet they may be.
                              I’ve changed my mind. I think you’re a troll. Back to the ignore list

Comment

Working...
                              X