VFIAX vs FXAIX opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFIAX vs FXAIX opinions?

Rather than stock picking, I'd like to mindlessly put money into S+P 500 cap weighted exploiting the fact that it's 26% FANGS rather than just QQQ. Does anyone have a preference? I have 7 figures in VFIAX. I own no FXAIX but do have a taxable brokerage @Fidelity. This is not an exercise in navel gazing. I'm just trying to avoid plowing more money into VAN because their customer service model died about 10 years ago.

funds are the same pick based on brokerage preference

certainly would not realize gains and pay tax to move from one to the other

Comment

youre asking if 2 different funds that track the same index matter?
      and at a brokerage where you can buy both ETF versions?

Comment

I’m all for simplicity so I’d stick with vanguard but I don’t have an account at fidelity. What kind of customer service is vanguard lacking? I have never had a need for any particular help from anyone there so I’m curious

Comment

I've found that with a buy and hold mentality I've yet to have a need for customer service so I can't comment on any particular brokerage's customer service.

Comment

Peds. I see your point that with ETF I can place limit order to pick my price whereas with mutual fund you get NAV at market close. abds. I've had Van since 1995 and Fid since 2005. I opened Fid because Van online brokerage service was lousy. Fid executed limit orders seamlessly. With Van every phone query came with a you can't do that, it requires Form X with Medallion signature. Yes, I was Flagship. My spouse's group started non-prototype plan in 2006 which Van wouldn't touch so I migrated him to Fidelity. PSP/Roth 401K. Also Van requires too much maintenance on my end. ex: 2 months ago got a notice that I would loose ability to transact on UTMA accts as both kids were older than 21 so I moved their UTMAs to their Fid brokerages with a single phone call to Fidelity. The reason I still have $ tied up in Van is because these accounts are very old Van mutual funds circa pre2005 and I'm managing my mom's Vanguard now that dad is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotonsRGR8 View Post
              Peds. I see your point that with ETF I can place limit order to pick my price whereas with mutual fund you get NAV at market close.
              nope wasnt my point at all.

if you want to keep VG funds, you can use the ETF at Fidelity to avoid using VG brokerage.
              i also really only use VG MF in taxable given their tax status vs ETFs anywhere else.

Comment

At VG convert VFAIX to VOO, tax-free transaction. Transfer-in-kind VG to Fidelity at your convenience if you want to consolidate accounts. Buy FXAIX or VOO, your preference. Having dealt with CSR at both VG and Fido I agree with your assessment.

Comment

Working...
                X