No announcement yet.

Bitcoin is still early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also still don’t understand the purpose of stable coins or why if you’re into crypto why you’d want to be tied to the dollar if you’re claiming massive inflation is going on/will go on, something I will continue to read about.

to me it’s like one foot in the door one foot out, defi is basically all about trading these tokens with no intrinsic value which need a tie in to the real world and assets with intrinsic value, so my understanding is that is where stable coins come in, to bridge that gap. However again to me that seems inherently paradoxical bc the thing these bridging tokens are tied to is going to inflate and as such the value of the tokens will plummet as well.

Comment

• I don’t think the stock market will crash. Just wondering if there will be more sellers than buyers of index funds and many of the stocks within them.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshPaint View Post
        I don’t think the stock market will crash. Just wondering if there will be more sellers than buyers of index funds and many of the stocks within them.
        It's easy to look at tech stocks as the way to go now when they are doing great and everyone is basically printing money. Would be careful of assuming a paradigm shift just because of one bull run. It's not like everyone was only buying tech stocks after dot com crash

Comment

• Anyone over 50 buying bitcoin? On this forum I mean not in real life. It seems like everyone in real life is buying bitcoin with money they do not have.

Comment

• A rising tide lifts all ships.

As bitcoin goes up so will the other coins. There will be a lot of new products that are similar. People have serious regret for missing the bitcoin rise and will be willing to pour into these others to catch the massive gains. When this comes down it is going to come down hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshPaint View Post
              I don’t think the stock market will crash. Just wondering if there will be more sellers than buyers of index funds and many of the stocks within them.
              Sorry that this is off topic from the bitcoin/crypto stuff-

I think you are vastly underestimating the size of the index fund companies- the big 3 of Blackrock, vanguard and state street actually own (combined) around 20% of shares in most SP500 companies - https://promarket.org/2019/07/16/tow...e-index-funds/. It led to fears of them being able to control the companies themselves (this article + a few more in 2017, 2018, etc). Many pension plans etc are invested with index fund companies. For the funds to crash would have major market implications.

Secondly, if you are selling mutual fund holdings, that transaction is between you and your brokerage- so you dont "need" a buyer- the buyer of your share is vanguard, fidelity etc- they then sell borrow or buy the appropriate #shares of each stock in the fund to balance out the equation. You're guaranteed a buyer of the share you are selling. https://money.usnews.com/investing/i...d-which-to-use. ETFs that track indexes are more like the traditional stock buyer seller I believe, but that's why the price ranges throughout the day with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                Anyone over 50 buying bitcoin? On this forum I mean not in real life. It seems like everyone in real life is buying bitcoin with money they do not have.
                9/10 doctors over 50 in my doctors lounge

Comment

• Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post
                  One big difference of ether is the use-case compared to Bitcoin. Bitcoin is now seen purely as a store of value (digital gold), instead of its original purpose of a frictionless currency.
                  transactional functionality is being built on top of bitcoin in particular with lightning; check out what jack mallers is doing with strike. It’s really pretty amazing when you compare it to sending money around the world via traditional routes.

additionally with regards to currency functionality you have to zoom out and look beyond the US. In Nigeria right now bitcoin is over $80k USD because of rampant inflation and low confidence in their own fiat

bitcoin maximalists will point to the response to the DAO hack as a critical juncture for ethereum

Comment

• Originally posted by billy View Post

9/10 doctors over 50 in my doctors lounge
                    That is what I mean. Are those doctors that have been investing for the past 30 years and familiar with the ebb and flow of the market or are they the typical 50 year old physician who realizes that they have not been saving enough and see this as a way to catch up?

Too many people are in the "know" at this point. Everyone cannot get rich quick. I smell trouble afoot.

Comment

That is what I mean. Are those doctors that have been investing for the past 30 years and familiar with the ebb and flow of the market or are they the typical 50 year old physician who realizes that they have not been saving enough and see this as a way to catch up?

Too many people are in the "know" at this point. Everyone cannot get rich quick. I smell trouble afoot.
                      is this an asset problem or a knowledge and behavior problem?

Comment

• Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post

is this an asset problem or a knowledge and behavior problem?
                        Really both. A lot of inexperienced people are jumping on this and do not understand it can fall out from under them. Even if it does not fall out and stands the test of time the volatility in getting there is going to wreck a lot of people.
                        Do you know anyone who has been holding through the last rise and fall?

Sorry to be a hater but this unchecked enthusiasm does not seem like a good thing.

Comment

Really both. A lot of inexperienced people are jumping on this and do not understand it can fall out from under them. Even if it does not fall out and stands the test of time the volatility in getting there is going to wreck a lot of people.

Sorry to be a hater but this unchecked enthusiasm does not seem like a good thing.
                          are you talking about bitcoin, or the stock market?

Comment

• Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post

25% after this run-up past 6 months, but my goal long-term is 20%. Maybe higher if some of the projects I'm invested in end up being multi-baggers long-term, which is feasible.

At the very least I personally would advise 5-20% of portfolio to Ether. There are Bitcoin maxis who go 100%, which is not a bad idea either. Ether will definitely outpace BTC in the short term (this year for example), but long-term BTC is and always will be king. There is no flippening ever happening IMO.

My current portfolio at the moment is attached. I like to speculate in smaller coins, and take the profits back into BTC mainly. Not advising anyone to do that, of course...
                            LOL 25% of portfolio in crypto. Either very smart or very dumb and reckless.

Comment

Well, I know plenty of folks that held, some that have sold on the way up, others that have been DCAing, but most are buying now that it is so high (my oven guy, the ER techs, and of course most of the docs in the docs lounge (which to be fair, an MD/DO is a minority of the population these days)). The parallels to the lottery are striking (when the jackpot gets high, there are suddenly news stories, office pools, etc). Or is it more like airplanes, where it took many years for people to realize a) they existed and b) it might be something to invest in?

Again, I find this fascinating. Yes, jacoavlu, @ND et al, I have been reading, but I still don't understand the inherent value of BTC or any of the cryptos, individually. I keep coming back to my simple perspective...the greenback is worth something because people all over the planet recognize its value to convert into "stuff" (backed by the power of the US government to tax people or invade foreign lands/computers to make it have value etc)...and gold, this relatively useless metal, that is only valuable because have been hoarding it for 6000 years.

Imagine if coffee prices were up 7% per day? (btw, for the record: trading coffee futures was another miserable failure on my part. just because *I* believed it was underpriced and there was horrible weather in central america, does not mean prices will be going up in the future....)

Comment

• Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post

LOL 25% of portfolio in crypto. Either very smart or very dumb and reckless.
                                U sure bro? Do you think I started at 25% last year? or perhaps in the single digits?

Comment

Working...
                                X