No announcement yet.

Bitcoin is still early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you that have Bitcoin, how do you buy it? Coinbase?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sampter View Post
      For those of you that have Bitcoin, how do you buy it? Coinbase?
      No never used coin base

The answer is, it depends

Different answers for buying in big chunks, versus automatic periodic investment

Comment

• Originally posted by krusebear View Post
        NapoleanDynamite are you buying BTC at these levels or waiting for a correction
        I have done weekly DCA buys with Swan Bitcoin for >1 year. These buys have returned just over 100% since last year.

I also make occasional extra buys. I usually buy during major dip/corrections (greater than 25%) and I also like to "smash buy the All Time Highs"....but those are smaller buys simply because I want to prove a point. I don't recommend the Smash buy the All Time High technique for anyone. But I usually make $500-1000 buys at all time highs just to reinforce my conviction.

If I was starting right now, I would make a significant investment (say 1-5% of my overall retirement portfolio) and then start DCA buying with daily, or weekly buys along with other retirement DCA investments.
        Last edited by NapoleanDynamite; 11-10-2021, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I also don't recommend Coinbase. But they are one of the easiest to set up and use. Most people start with Coinbase because it is easy. Fees are the highest though. You could also look at Gemini for an easy to use platform.

I recommend Swan Bitcoin or setting up a Strike account (if you are going to buy less than 1000 dollars at a time).

Comment

Yes, I use Coinbase Pro, which has 0.5% fee per trade.

Comment

• Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post

Yes, I use Coinbase Pro, which has 0.5% fee per trade.
              Coinbase pro? That’s like amateur hour right there. If he’s only looking into buying Bitcoin, nothing beats Strike

Comment

• Originally posted by nycEMMD View Post

Coinbase pro? That’s like amateur hour right there. If he’s only looking into buying Bitcoin, nothing beats Strike
                Strike is 1k max. Lame af.

I use Coinbase Pro to buy BTC and ETH every month. Anyone that buys bitcoin without ether is a neophyte.

Comment

• If using a coinbase product then must use pro for significantly reduced fees and a better UI. Regular coinbase sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by NapoleanDynamite View Post

I have done weekly DCA buys with Swan Bitcoin for >1 year. These buys have returned just over 100% since last year.

I also make occasional extra buys. I usually buy during major dip/corrections (greater than 25%) and I also like to "smash buy the All Time Highs"....but those are smaller buys simply because I want to prove a point. I don't recommend the Smash buy the All Time High technique for anyone. But I usually make $500-1000 buys at all time highs just to reinforce my conviction.

If I was starting right now, I would make a significant investment (say 1-5% of my overall retirement portfolio) and then start DCA buying with daily, or weekly buys along with other retirement DCA investments.
                    I would not recommend lump summing rn - you do know that this is currently a speculative bubble right? We are nearing the tail end of it, so it would be wise to DCA, then consider a larger lump when inevitable large correction occurs.

I was around during the 2017 hype cycle - it's like clockwork - the only difference is the numbers increase every 4 years (so far), but the bubble pops at some point. Consensus is 100-250k peak this cycle before pop.

Comment

Strike is 1k max. Lame af.

I use Coinbase Pro to buy BTC and ETH every month. Anyone that buys bitcoin without ether is a neophyte.
                      Strike is 1k a week so $52,000 a year. He’s just getting started, you think he’s dropping more than 52k into BTC this year?

he also only asked about BTC so your eth comment is irrelevant

even if strike was charging the same fees as Coinbase pro, I would still use strike because I respect Jack Mallers and love what he’s doing for the Bitcoin community. We should encourage new people to use products from people that work to improve the crypto community, not someone like Brian Armstrong who doesn’t give two s**** about us and loves to charge newbies exorbitant fees on the main Coinbase app

Comment

Strike is 1k a week so $52,000 a year. He’s just getting started, you think he’s dropping more than 52k into BTC this year?

he also only asked about BTC so your eth comment is irrelevant

even if strike was charging the same fees as Coinbase pro, I would still use strike because I respect Jack Mallers and love what he’s doing for the Bitcoin community. We should encourage new people to use products from people that work to improve the crypto community, not someone like Brian Armstrong who doesn’t give two s**** about us and loves to charge newbies exorbitant fees on the main Coinbase app
                        I disagree - Strike is a niche app, with limited functionality. It is a good UI and would be good if btc was being using actively as a currency, which is why I believe it's used in El Salvador.

Otherwise, a stable, regulated, centralized (scary! ) platform is way better for the hoi polloi.

Comment

• 1k/wk, what is this crypto for ants

Comment

I disagree - Strike is a niche app, with limited functionality. It is a good UI and would be good if btc was being using actively as a currency, which is why I believe it's used in El Salvador.

Otherwise, a stable, regulated, centralized (scary! ) platform is way better for the hoi polloi.
                            Again, you’re funneling new people to Brian Armstrong who will literally charge insane fees to people that don’t know any better. He’s not helping the crypto community, he’s hurting it

Why not recommend apps that are created by true role models? That would be a great entry for them. They can then expand to centralized exchanges as they learn more about crypto and do their due diligence. At least their entry point isn’t some $20 fee for buying $100 worth of BTc

Comment

Again, you’re funneling new people to Brian Armstrong who will literally charge insane fees to people that don’t know any better. He’s not helping the crypto community, he’s hurting it

Why not recommend apps that are created by true role models? That would be a great entry for them. They can then expand to centralized exchanges as they learn more about crypto and do their due diligence. At least their entry point isn’t some $20 fee for buying $100 worth of BTc
                              How can a company which literally revolutionized crypto trading for the masses be "hurting" the crypto community? I don't get it. I don't care if it's centralized - you can withdraw immediately after purchase into your wallet.

Brian literally de-stigmatized the entire space in general allowing widespread adoption. CZ at Binance did the same thing, on a much larger scale internationally.

Comment

Why gatekeep if there are people out there looking to get in? Some people feel more comfortable with an exchange that they've actually heard of.

Comment

Working...
                                X