529 Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 529 Help

I have a 1 year old and have decided to open a 529 account.  I live in a state which does not offer a 529 plan and have therefore been looking at all of the different options.  I like the Utah, Nevada, and New York plans since they are all use Vanguard funds.  New York has a good low cost options.  Nevada allows me to go ahead and apply through my Vanguard account so it seems like I could monitor it easier, but I don't know if I like the fact that the total amount I can put in is in the 370K range.  However the Utah plan lets me put in up to 430K and I like the custom option but don't know if having to buy it through the state is more of a pain.  Any suggestions.  I know I cant go wrong with any of them but wondering which are the easiest to use and if the max your able to put in makes a difference.  Also any suggestions for the age based asset allocation.  I personally don't think I'd put anything into bonds until the kid is a least 10 or so as I'm rather aggressive.

All states offer a 529. Not all states offer a state tax break if you use their plan.

I like Utah, but there's certainly nothing wrong with NV or NY. I'd look at them a lot more carefully if I didn't live in Utah.

If $370K vs $430K is enough to actually change your mind from one plan to another, I wish I was your kid.

If you want to be aggressive, be aggressive. I am in my 529s- 1/2 international, 1/2 US small value.
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

The maximum was an important consideration for me, but keep in mind this has nowhere to go but up in the current climate.  A state offering a max of $370k may increase theirs several times by  the time you're even close to the original amount.  You can always transfer plan assets to a different state. You'd probably have to sell the assets and repurchase in a new plan after the money transfers, which has potential opportunity costs if the market increases in the meantime.

I too have no problem being aggressive, since we can finance some out of cash flow if need be and since this is really a multi-generational plan IMO.  I can gift remaining funds to a grandchild without affecting cash flow, letting it grow in the meantime.  I think MA also offers low cost plans but I think they have rules against ownership transfer.

Comment

If the OP is a Washington state resident, it is true that there isn't a 529 plan option currently. The Washington state 529 plan is temporarily closed to new enrollments with a plan for that to change sometime this summer. There was a snafu with the prepaid tuition plan when the state tuitions dropped 15% over a two year period starting in 2015 since the payout rates for the tuition credits are based on those state school tuitions.

Comment

No, I'm in Wyoming with no 529 plan.  There are no plans for one currently either.

When I look at what private tuition will be in 18 years those numbers are ridiculous.

I could cash flow tuition, but why not do it with tax free growth

Comment

I have a 1 year old and have decided to open a 529 account.  I live in a state which does not offer a 529 plan and have therefore been looking at all of the different options.  I like the Utah, Nevada, and New York plans since they are all use Vanguard funds.  New York has a good low cost options.  Nevada allows me to go ahead and apply through my Vanguard account so it seems like I could monitor it easier, but I don’t know if I like the fact that the total amount I can put in is in the 370K range.  However the Utah plan lets me put in up to 430K and I like the custom option but don’t know if having to buy it through the state is more of a pain.  Any suggestions.  I know I cant go wrong with any of them but wondering which are the easiest to use and if the max your able to put in makes a difference.  Also any suggestions for the age based asset allocation.  I personally don’t think I’d put anything into bonds until the kid is a least 10 or so as I’m rather aggressive.

Use all 3 states! That's what we have done (don't ask why).  :P

As for investing options, I agree with you and do not like glidepaths. I have chosen 100% aggressive investments and my kids are 10 and 7. About 4 years before college we may dial down some risk but more likely would do so in other accounts (403b, taxable, Roths, etc).

Comment

If the OP is a Washington state resident, it is true that there isn’t a 529 plan option currently. The Washington state 529 plan is temporarily closed to new enrollments with a plan for that to change sometime this summer. There was a snafu with the prepaid tuition plan when the state tuitions dropped 15% over a two year period starting in 2015 since the payout rates for the tuition credits are based on those state school tuitions.

What a mess. I'm glad to see tuition dropping somewhere though.
              Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Rosemont and Ithaca dropped their tuition by 45% this year.  Only 99.999% more to go!

Comment

Working...
                X