We've got a guy....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WCInovice View Post

Also, to clarify, I didn't sell all my equities, just about 25-30% of them in my taxable account. I kind of hedged.
    So you weren't sure either. Just pointing out that none of us having a functioning crystal ball.
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Originally posted by The White Coat Investor View Post

So you weren't sure either. Just pointing out that none of us having a functioning crystal ball.
      Completely agree. I had no clue what I was doing, just had a "feeling."

I'm more lucky and paranoid than good and am partially ashamed of doing it.

I don't know when to jump back in either. If anyone wants to weigh in there I'm all ears.
      Last edited by WCInovice; 03-24-2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
        Curious if any human advisors actually tax loss harvest (seems like way too much work for little yield), or how many of them are suggesting Roth conversions and calculating how much space their clients have to do them. It is easy to say "stay the course" when they are struggling to keep the lights on. Sounds like almost all of their energy is spent in simple handholding. If I were a more level headed client who wasn't crapping the bed, I'd want help with TLH'ing, Roth conversions, and rebalancing, but how much time do advisors even have for any of that when they're on the phone all day trying to tell of their other clients to stay the course and not withdraw $500k to pay off the mortgage?

I don't have an advisor, but I do have a "consultant" at E*Trade I've been calling every day just to get a $100 bonus, which has held up my backdoor Roth contribution. I can't get through to anyone on the phone at E*Trade and Fidelity right now.

You get what you pay for, I guess.
        Maybe other financial advisors in the forum can contribute. I understand most Financial advisors recommended here is to give you a plan and you can DIY or pick funds for you. So if it's fee only- you pay for the plan and guidance. The AUM - they have their fee and you also pay the fund's fee.

In my case, I do not need a plan. I am disciplined to save. I just want my money to steadily grow without roller coaster. My portfolio manager does not pick funds except for the small accounts we have, otherwise, he creates a mutual fund for me. he does TLH when appropriate. No hand holding necessary at this time. I already know as we reenter equities that it will further go down. my personal experience in 2008, went down 20%, recovered in 1 year. I guess he was better prepared this time.

Comment

I don't know when to jump back in either. If anyone wants to weigh in there I'm all ears.
          Maybe yesterday? You don't want to miss days like today

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/...in-the-st.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post

Ha.
            Somebody give me a heads up when they think the market is definitely rising.

I'm probably going to start trickling back in next week. I need a plan.

Comment

I've rebalanced some VTBLX to VTWAX (on Friday).
              Last edited by Yowza; 03-24-2020, 02:46 PM. Reason: timing the mkt obv

Comment

Originally posted by Yowza View Post
                I've rebalanced some VTBLX to VTWAX (on Friday).
                but you didnt pay someone to?

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post

but you didnt pay someone to?
                  no, I manage my own funds

Comment

Originally posted by Yowza View Post

no, I manage my own funds
                    so that defeats the purpose of my post!

Comment

I was sure. Sold everything, well, 90% since its in one account, the others were too small to be concerned with and not all have good options. I sold it all and shorted the bejesus out of the market, with leverage. As mentioned in early February right here on the forum, this was a once in a lifetime dislocation between price and oncoming shock. Doubt to ever see that again. I barely believed myself.

I covered yesterday and have since begun getting back in. Everyone is bearish, realizes we'll have a recession, etc....we hit trump election levels. Can and probably will go lower, but I already won so hard to care too much.

Not as much a crystal ball as the downside for being out of or even short the market for a short period of time to see whether or not you were right, 4 weeks, was small compared to the downside if were actually right.

Now I dont know what bills will be passed, how long this will be, or how deep (looks worse than imagined, though I imagined a better response tbh), doesnt matter, not worried about it.

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post

Days like today follow days like friday and monday, always. You're better off missing the whole week when they occurred. These occur below the 200 dma almost exclusively and with a VIX above 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
                          Curious if any human advisors actually tax loss harvest (seems like way too much work for little yield), or how many of them are suggesting Roth conversions and calculating how much space their clients have to do them. It is easy to say "stay the course" when they are struggling to keep the lights on. Sounds like almost all of their energy is spent in simple handholding. If I were a more level headed client who wasn't crapping the bed, I'd want help with TLH'ing, Roth conversions, and rebalancing, but how much time do advisors even have for any of that when they're on the phone all day trying to tell of their other clients to stay the course and not withdraw $500k to pay off the mortgage?

I don't have an advisor, but I do have a "consultant" at E*Trade I've been calling every day just to get a $100 bonus, which has held up my backdoor Roth contribution. I can't get through to anyone on the phone at E*Trade and Fidelity right now.

You get what you pay for, I guess.
                          100% agree on the TLH & Roth conversions opportunity right now. Especially considering the double benefit of the higher percentage for the same dollar amount you can convert during the pullback as well as protect from the elimination of the Stretch provision care of the SECURE Act.

Being a reformed broker (now fiduciary) I can tell you that your Roth conversion, investment tax planning, estate planning and other complex needs will not be part of the free planning softwares you get at these other groups.

TLH/Tax Efficient investing is a focus area with us personally.
                          Founder, Coastal Wealth Planners- Fiduciary Tax-Sensitive Retirement Planning & Wealth Management www.coastal-wp.com email: [email protected]

Comment

I wouldn't be ashamed about it. Better to be lucky than good. Plus it's good cocktail party material. But you might not want to incorporate that strategy into your long-term written investment plan that you intend to actually follow.

Clearly your asset allocation was more than you were really comfortable buying and holding, so I wouldn't go all the way back in at any point. I'd decide what you're really comfortable with and go back in tomorrow. But if you aren't comfortable with that, then write up a DCA plan to get there over the next 3 weeks, 3 months, 12 months or whatever. AND THEN FOLLOW IT come ************************ or high water.
                            Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod View Post

I was sure. Sold everything, well, 90% since its in one account, the others were too small to be concerned with and not all have good options. I sold it all and shorted the bejesus out of the market, with leverage. As mentioned in early February right here on the forum, this was a once in a lifetime dislocation between price and oncoming shock. Doubt to ever see that again. I barely believed myself.

I covered yesterday and have since begun getting back in. Everyone is bearish, realizes we'll have a recession, etc....we hit trump election levels. Can and probably will go lower, but I already won so hard to care too much.

Not as much a crystal ball as the downside for being out of or even short the market for a short period of time to see whether or not you were right, 4 weeks, was small compared to the downside if were actually right.

Now I dont know what bills will be passed, how long this will be, or how deep (looks worse than imagined, though I imagined a better response tbh), doesnt matter, not worried about it.
                              Congratulations on your prowess. Seriously. I learned long ago I don't have it and am better off riding the waves down and back up again. Luckily, the returns that will provide are good enough to meet all my financial goals.

Comment

I wouldn't be ashamed about it. Better to be lucky than good. Plus it's good cocktail party material. But you might not want to incorporate that strategy into your long-term written investment plan that you intend to actually follow.

Clearly your asset allocation was more than you were really comfortable buying and holding, so I wouldn't go all the way back in at any point. I'd decide what you're really comfortable with and go back in tomorrow. But if you aren't comfortable with that, then write up a DCA plan to get there over the next 3 weeks, 3 months, 12 months or whatever. AND THEN FOLLOW IT come ************************ or high water.
                                Sorry to point it out Jim but I just find it funny that your post includes the ***** for what im guessing was H&ll. Even the founder/owner gets censored.

Comment

Working...
                                X