We've got a guy....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've got a guy....

Something unrelated to the human malware going around....

For those of you with investment managers, wealth consultants or whatever they're calling themselves these days...... What have they done for your portfolio since the high on 2/19?

​​​​

We almost had a guy, but we got cold feet, thankfully, because he was with NWM. I'm glad we don't have a guy.

Comment

Really this is the time for them to make up for their fees by convincing people not to sell low.

I don't need to pay someone to hold my hand through this but a lot of people probably benefit more from that service then anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post
        Something unrelated to the human malware going around....

For those of you with investment managers, wealth consultants or whatever they're calling themselves these days...... What have they done for your portfolio since the high on 2/19?

​​​​
        why are you asking? to answer your question, took profit on 30year treasuries (up 20%) and euro dollar (up 300%). that's why I am still in the green. i believe, slowly starting some position in very few stocks. Many are not yet cheap. prior to all time high, just being defensive in our portfolio. I let them do their job and he lets me deal with covid.

Comment

I hear money managers say they can't out perform the market during bull markets. But their strengths are limiting losses in bear markets. I have yet to see convincing data proving such.

"human malware"... hahahahaha
          $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

Originally posted by Cubicle View Post

"human malware"... hahahahaha
            Yes very comical. Gave me a much needed laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by DEE F View Post

why are you asking? to answer your question, took profit on 30year treasuries (up 20%) and euro dollar (up 300%). that's why I am still in the green. i believe, slowly starting some position in very few stocks. Many are not yet cheap. prior to all time high, just being defensive in our portfolio. I let them do their job and he lets me deal with covid.
              To see if anyone is rebalancing, buying, or ignoring.
              I've run into ppl that have no clue what's going on.... Cause they have a guy doing it....

Comment

Our group 401K is "lightly managed" by just a buy and hold DFA funds "advisor."

After one too many emails in early/mid February from them about how this is just the flu and to stay the course I did just that in the 401K they "manage." In my taxable account I sold a good amount of equities in mid February. I have never considered myself a "market timer" but I thought "this time is different." I'm luckier than good but felt like finance people had zero understanding of what was coming pandemic wise.

Within the 401K I am continuing to fund it in equities (it's 100% equities, DFA funds) with monthly deposits still.

So I don't have a great plan, but in retrospect I'm glad I sold equities in my taxable account.

Comment

Originally posted by WCInovice View Post
                  So I don't have a great plan, but in retrospect I'm glad I sold equities in my taxable account.
                  When are you going to buy again?
                  I wish I was as lucky as you, but I hope I'm learning something as my account takes a nose dive. Wish and hope probably aren't the best words

Comment

Originally posted by WCInovice View Post
                    Our group 401K is "lightly managed" by just a buy and hold DFA funds "advisor."

finance people had zero understanding of what was coming pandemic wise.
                    There are a lot of warning signs even before the pandemic. If they were in tune to what's going on, risk management should have been done. I have received letters and letters how market has been distorted and it will need to reset. I get notification with every trade he does, which is not many. If there are riskier investments that are outside publicly traded stocks and treasuries, they run by me to see whether I agree or not. I ask questions about bitcoin, repo, real estate syndications and it's a good resource to bounce ideas with. I also feel secure since they have skin in the game- they invest their own money and family's money the same way. I personally believe in value investing and it has been my method since I started investing. I will not abandon it even if it is lagging S&P.
                    Same way with you guys, if you believe passive investing is the best investing method, keep doing what you are doing regardless of market dropping. You will be fine as long as you keep that discipline. It is not a contest which portfolio performs the best.

Comment

Originally posted by pierre View Post

I wish I was as lucky as you, but I hope I'm learning something as my account takes a nose dive. Wish and hope probably aren't the best words
                      This is my problem, and one I don't have a good answer for.

Selling is the easy part, knowing when to get back in is hard.

I think I'm going to DCA back into the market over the next 9 months. I'm in uncharted territory though (never sold in 2008).

Comment

Originally posted by DEE F View Post

There are a lot of warning signs even before the pandemic. If they were in tune to what's going on, risk management should have been done. I have received letters and letters how market has been distorted and it will need to reset. I get notification with every trade he does, which is not many. If there are riskier investments that are outside publicly traded stocks and treasuries, they run by me to see whether I agree or not. I ask questions about bitcoin, repo, real estate syndications and it's a good resource to bounce ideas with. I also feel secure since they have skin in the game- they invest their own money and family's money the same way. I personally believe in value investing and it has been my method since I started investing. I will not abandon it even if it is lagging S&P.
                        Same way with you guys, if you believe passive investing is the best investing method, keep doing what you are doing regardless of market dropping. You will be fine as long as you keep that discipline. It is not a contest which portfolio performs the best.
                        I know nothing about stock evaluation, bitcoin, and never necessarily felt hte market was "too hot."

I'm typically just a passive investor. I am heavily influenced by Nassim Taleb (loved his Incerto series) and he started ringing alarm bells in late January. That, combined with what I felt I was getting from financial people (ie "nothing to worry about, it's just the flu) led me to believe I had a better understanding of things than "the market." I've never felt that way ever before. I'm a rooke/novice as my handle suggests on investing.

I just basically buy VTSAX and some private syndication real estate in my non-retirement investments and hold on tight. I got nervous and sold.

Comment

Both advisors I have interacted with over the years have preached stay the course so far. Kind of wished I had gone to more cash in our tax-deferred accounts about 3-4 weeks ago, but hopefully this will sort out like previous pandemics/recessions/depressions I’ve the next 1-3 years. But the ride down has been brutal.

Comment

Curious if any human advisors actually tax loss harvest (seems like way too much work for little yield), or how many of them are suggesting Roth conversions and calculating how much space their clients have to do them. It is easy to say "stay the course" when they are struggling to keep the lights on. Sounds like almost all of their energy is spent in simple handholding. If I were a more level headed client who wasn't crapping the bed, I'd want help with TLH'ing, Roth conversions, and rebalancing, but how much time do advisors even have for any of that when they're on the phone all day trying to tell of their other clients to stay the course and not withdraw $500k to pay off the mortgage?

I don't have an advisor, but I do have a "consultant" at E*Trade I've been calling every day just to get a $100 bonus, which has held up my backdoor Roth contribution. I can't get through to anyone on the phone at E*Trade and Fidelity right now.

You get what you pay for, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by pierre View Post

Also, to clarify, I didn't sell all my equities, just about 25-30% of them in my taxable account. I kind of hedged.

Comment

Working...
                              X