• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• traditional IRA vs taxable brokerage account

we max out 401K account.

we do not qualify for roth IRA

Currently cant do a backdoor roth due to having a rollover IRA

Should I contribute to traditional IRA (even though there will be no tax deduction)?

OR just open a taxable brokerage account?

Any recommendation regarding using Vanguard vs Betterment?

Thank you

You can do the traditional IRA in hopes that something else changes down the line allowing you to do the backdoor Roth IRA.

Better yet, start a business doing online surveys. Get an EIN (free and takes 5 minutes.) Make $10 off an online survey. Open individual 401(k). Roll rollover IRA in there. Do your 2016 and 2017 backdoor Roth IRAs. Sweet huh?

Not that a taxable account is the worst thing in the world. https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/retirement-accounts/the-taxable-investment-account-2/

As a general rule if you can put together your own investing plan, use Vanguard. If not, then decide if a roboadvisor is enough help or not. If so, then use them. If not, get a real advisor.

The only real reason for a DIYer to use Betterment is because you believe the TLHing feature will be worth the 0.25% fee.
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

You can do the traditional IRA in hopes that something else changes down the line allowing you to do the backdoor Roth IRA.

Better yet, start a business doing online surveys. Get an EIN (free and takes 5 minutes.) Make $10 off an online survey. Open individual 401(k). Roll rollover IRA in there. Do your 2016 and 2017 backdoor Roth IRAs. Sweet huh?

wow, can you really do that?  cool

Comment

Click to expand…

wow, can you really do that?  cool

Sure, why not? There is no requirement as to how much profit our business makes. You just have to have a business to open an individual 401(k). Maybe I should do a post about it. I've got one this Friday that's related. Maybe I'll just add it on to that.
        Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Thank you for your respond!

I read that Vanguard solo 401K does not allow rollover. Is this true? I will have to look at fidelity.

Comment

Thank you for your respond!

I read that Vanguard solo 401K does not allow rollover. Is this true? I will have to look at fidelity.

I think fidelity only takes paper checks for their deposits and vanguard doesn't allow admiral funds or etf.  maybe schwab?

Comment

I think I'd start mine at Etrade if I needed rollover capability and wanted access to cheaper Vanguard ETFs. But all of the big players' offerings have their pluses and minuses.

Comment

Working...
              X