What are you doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you doing?

I’ve been slowly putting money into the market this week. My wife and I have some extra cash that is sitting in a high yield saving account.
    i know no one can time the market, but curious what everyone is doing. It seems like this market is headed much lower. Invest as this falls or wait until whenever (and likely miss the bottom! Haha)?

I DCA as a routine practice and will continue to do so as the market drops. This is exactly the scenario that makes DCA a mathematically superior investment technique.

I also have some cash, but it is earmarked for real estate and I am sticking with that.

I do plan to TLH as market drops. I’ve passed my trigger, but waiting for the quarterly dividend to avoid the wash.

Still working, so Roth conversions not that attractive.

Comment

I have not changed any of my auto contributions. If things keep going down I might start looking around the house for more cash to invest.
      Having an aggressive AA to start means that I will have an aggressive AA at bottom. I will not get much help from re-balancing my 5% bonds. I wish I could be more aggressive but I am not going to increase my debt to invest.

Comment

We are moving up taxable contributions and considering delaying the new car purchase to use that money to keep buying as it drops

Comment

Past FI and was actually in an aggressive AA still so finally made the move to go conservative on the equities: --have a bunch of the aa reallocation sitting on cash equivalents until volatility settles down and will finish the reallocation -- or move to another Real estate is opportunity arises
          Still have 10-15 years horizon on retirement, so moved new money aa to same: 50/50 for the long term view.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
            I have not changed any of my auto contributions. If things keep going down I might start looking around the house for more cash to invest.
            Having an aggressive AA to start means that I will have an aggressive AA at bottom. I will not get much help from re-balancing my 5% bonds. I wish I could be more aggressive but I am not going to increase my debt to invest.
            Like in the couch cushions?

Comment

I am learning how complicated TLH'ing can be. I don't regret having an aggressive AA but I really would have rather just had a three fund portfolio if I could have done this over again.

Comment

My asset allocation is out of balance by less than five percent so I'm doing nothing.

Comment

I have some boluses of cash coming my way and some on the side. Going to start buying here real soon.

Comment

I’d like to ask whether or not anyone is looking at the current situation in a positive light? Not from an epidemiology standpoint. But strictly financial. Cases in China are dropping, factories are going online. People here are freaking out. The downsides of this disease are terrible. But those things are beyond our control. Is anyone else looking at this as a massive buying opportunity? Best time to buy is when others are going bat $hit crazy. When did we forget this?

Comment

Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post
                      I’d like to ask whether or not anyone is looking at the current situation in a positive light? Not from an epidemiology standpoint. But strictly financial. Cases in China are dropping, factories are going online. People here are freaking out. The downsides of this disease are terrible. But those things are beyond our control. Is anyone else looking at this as a massive buying opportunity? Best time to buy is when others are going bat $hit crazy. When did we forget this?
                      thats us....
                      except our efund is in use until new jobs/moving kick in. and potential car purchase. so wont raid that.
                      our other pile of cash is expected to be spent in the next year for potential house. so wont raid that.
                      we front loaded the 401k/rIRA, so finally just starting to get normal paychecks....

basically, we are on autopilot, picked up some losses already, but no major buying outside of our monthly contributions.

Comment

I’d like to ask whether or not anyone is looking at the current situation in a positive light?
                        I did have some money on the sidelines mostly though dumb luck, plus I don't fund my 2019 profit-sharing until later this month, so in that sense it's a positive. If you're asking if now is the time to be putting money in the market I'd say yes, but the reality is it can still fall a lot further.

Comment

I'm selling small portions of my bonds to buy more equities as we go further and further down. staying with my plan and not panic selling. as I get paid, goes into index funds. TLH where possible. I fully expect that we can lose another 10% or so from here, but I don't know when that will be so I'll keep DCA in.

I expect once we develop/make progress on a vaccine or hear good news from overseas, like warmer weather decreasing severity/incidence, there will be a relief recovery. definitely not to previous highs but substantial.

this is going to hurt our economy but we'll recover. the underlying financial health of the country appears to be better than the 08 recession from what I hear. china factories more and more online

absolute worst case scenario is everyone gets infected and the at risk population dies. that's mainly elderly with major comorbidities . the young healthy working class will largely be unaffected or have minor symptoms. I'm in the part of the population that's young healthy, good job, making money, long investment horizon so long term view is that stocks are on sale.

even if there is a global recession, where will the money go to be invested? US companies are the safest bet in my mind

Comment

This may become an EPIC opportunity and I suspect it will. Think 2009. Especially when one knows how to find funds that will return 30-50 fold returns over the average bull run expected to return 4 fold on average.

I've been extremely tempted to buy more CRE. But a bear market/recession is actually the season to become excited about the stock market, pending how the government manages the situation. I dumped a few minions into real estate 3 years ago with spectacular results, I want to dump a few minions into the next bull run. Maximum freak out is a good time to get in, not yet IMO. DOW 15K is a historical chart consideration.
                            Last edited by EntrepreneurMD; 03-12-2020, 10:29 AM.

Comment

BUY!

Comment

Working...
                              X