X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DocNextDoor
    replied
    Originally posted by runfast00 View Post

Have others had emotional attachment to an individual stock and had trouble knowing when to let it go?
    I'm holding onto my option purchased inherited Apple stock due to its sentimental value.

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    All depends on what's the comfort zone and when a lucky stock becomes too much of your portfolio.

We were lucky to have chosen AMZN as our primary lucky stock and jettisoned fully in 2018. It's climbed up nicely since then, but we were plenty happy on the ride up.

Leave a comment:

• burritos
    replied
    I sold 1/3 of my apple stake in 1999 after a 100% run up over a 1.5 years.

Leave a comment:

• wa2106
    replied
    https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...32351#p5032351

Lots of people doing the same thing. You folks should compare notes - looks like you're using the same strategy!

Leave a comment:

• Bmac
    replied
    Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post

Yes - that's the intrinsic benefit of periodic rebalancing over the same time period, year in and year out.
    And buying broad market index mutual funds instead of individual stocks.

Leave a comment:

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied
    Originally posted by dennis View Post
    The discipline to sell when you've made good profit is difficult for us amateurs to inculcate. I'm guilty of it and have seen too many stocks round trip because I was married to my ego about how smart I was to buy that stock at that time. I suppose that's why we're better off with index funds to avoid the ego led mistakes.
    Yes - that's the intrinsic benefit of periodic rebalancing over the same time period, year in and year out.

Leave a comment:

• dennis
    replied
    The discipline to sell when you've made good profit is difficult for us amateurs to inculcate. I'm guilty of it and have seen too many stocks round trip because I was married to my ego about how smart I was to buy that stock at that time. I suppose that's why we're better off with index funds to avoid the ego led mistakes.

Leave a comment:

• Tangler
    replied
    Hodl, wtf, I guess I am old

Leave a comment:

• Hatton
    replied
    I am still holding my 2008 Apple. No plans to sell. Not reinvesting dividends.

Leave a comment:

• Hatton
    replied
    Originally posted by Peds View Post
    hodl

​​​​​​But no.
    I had to look it up! OK Boomer.

Leave a comment:

• Cubicle
    replied
    Have others had emotional attachment to an individual stock and had trouble knowing when to let it go?
    Yes. The "hot stock" I lost 99% of my investment on several years ago. "It will bounce back" I said.

I recently got another mailer about filling a claim to "protect my interests" for their bankruptcy filling.

Leave a comment:

• burritos
    replied
    Didn't Warren Buffett say something to the effect, if it's not worth holding for 20 years it's not worth holding for a day?

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied
    Originally posted by Peds View Post
    hodl

​​​​​​But no.
    I wonder how many internet words were invented due to drunk typos.

Leave a comment:

• jacoavlu
    replied

I saw that as well. I planed to sell them sometime in 2020 but once Buffet sold some I felt better about doing it now instead of waiting until later in the year
    Berkshire also bought some VOO and SPY. But like the equivalent of me investing the change found between the couch cushions.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    “Have others had emotional attachment to an individual stock and had trouble knowing when to let it go?”
    Hmmm, how did you know today was the day? Was it the China hit for that little bug? Fond memories are the result of profits. Pain and sorrow are associated with losses.

Hint, those shares don’t love you back. Kind of silly to become attached. Those share got remarried in a millisecond. Adios!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X