I sold all my Apple shares today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sold all my Apple shares today

I had a small number of Apple shares that I bought 10 years ago that increased 4x in value.

Today I sold near an all time high. Well actually I donated them to my Vanguard DAF.

It felt good to time the market and sell high.

These are my only individual stock holdings as the rest are VTI and VXUS.

It did make me a little sad to see my only individual stock holding go. But the tax break for 2020 is worth that.

Have others had emotional attachment to an individual stock and had trouble knowing when to let it go?
    Last edited by runfast00; 02-19-2020, 03:46 PM.

In for the ride up!

Comment

Berkshire sold a little Apple recently also

Comment

Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post
        Berkshire sold a little Apple recently also
        I saw that as well. I planed to sell them sometime in 2020 but once Buffet sold some I felt better about doing it now instead of waiting until later in the year

Comment

I’ve held Google for many years and watched it go up a thousand fold. I sold half to my DAF in December but harbored similar feelings such as yours. It’s now only 1 of 2 stocks I have remaining outside of a 3-fund type of portfolio.

Comment

hodl

​​​​​​But no.

Comment

“Have others had emotional attachment to an individual stock and had trouble knowing when to let it go?”
              Hmmm, how did you know today was the day? Was it the China hit for that little bug? Fond memories are the result of profits. Pain and sorrow are associated with losses.

Hint, those shares don’t love you back. Kind of silly to become attached. Those share got remarried in a millisecond. Adios!

Comment

Originally posted by runfast00 View Post

I saw that as well. I planed to sell them sometime in 2020 but once Buffet sold some I felt better about doing it now instead of waiting until later in the year
                Berkshire also bought some VOO and SPY. But like the equivalent of me investing the change found between the couch cushions.

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post
                  hodl

​​​​​​But no.
                  I wonder how many internet words were invented due to drunk typos.

Comment

Didn't Warren Buffett say something to the effect, if it's not worth holding for 20 years it's not worth holding for a day?

Comment

Originally posted by runfast00 View Post
                      Have others had emotional attachment to an individual stock and had trouble knowing when to let it go?
                      Yes. The "hot stock" I lost 99% of my investment on several years ago. "It will bounce back" I said.

I recently got another mailer about filling a claim to "protect my interests" for their bankruptcy filling.
                      $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post
                        hodl

​​​​​​But no.
                        I had to look it up! OK Boomer.

Comment

I am still holding my 2008 Apple. No plans to sell. Not reinvesting dividends.

Comment

Hodl, wtf, I guess I am old

Comment

The discipline to sell when you've made good profit is difficult for us amateurs to inculcate. I'm guilty of it and have seen too many stocks round trip because I was married to my ego about how smart I was to buy that stock at that time. I suppose that's why we're better off with index funds to avoid the ego led mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                              X